Gransnet forums

Chat

To flush or not to flush - that is the question!

(173 Posts)
dontmindstayinghome Tue 25-Aug-20 17:46:22

My OH insists that he does not need to flush the toilet after every visit as he is saving water. He was delighted when United Utilities told us that we should continue whatever it is we are doing as our water consumption was very low compared to similar sized properties.

I think its absolutely disgusting and i'm always in a panic to check that the toilets are 'clean' if we get unexpected visitors.

After hearing the following expression from Martin Lewis:

"If its yellow let it mellow. If its brown flush it down".

I'm wondering, am I in the minority over this?
Honestly, we are not so short of money that the cost of flushing/not flushing the toilet will make a difference!

PamelaJ1 Tue 25-Aug-20 17:54:43

I first heard that rhyme from the lips of a Lady, the sort that’s married to a Lord. Finances don’t come into it.

This particular lady, like me, used to live in a country where water wasn’t guaranteed. She also turns the tap off whilst cleaning teeth.
I’m not sure if she empties a lot of washing up water on the plants. Her house is a bit bigger than mine and I think someone else usually does the washing up?

sodapop Tue 25-Aug-20 18:04:40

I think its more about conserving water than saving money dontmind
We are currently in a drought situation so only flush for solids.

Glorybee Tue 25-Aug-20 18:10:43

I agree with the yellow/brown mantra. Wasting water is a real bugbear of mine - do people still leave the tap running when cleaning their teeth?!

I turn off the water when soaping up in the shower, I can’t bear to see water cascading away not being used.

I know water companies are the worst for not maintaining pipes etc properly but for me, I like to not be wasteful with such a precious commodity.

With the summers getting hotter and more houses built and needing more water, I think there’ll be a more rigorous drive to save water in the future.

Davida1968 Tue 25-Aug-20 18:10:48

Let's assume we are talking only about wee! When I was a girl (in the 1950s) my grand-dad lived in an old country cottage, which had a septic tank and limited water supplies. The rule there was: "if there's a wee in the loo, then after you wee, you flush it. If not, then wee & leave it!" In order to reduce water usage, DH & I have recently adopted this practice. But we won't do it/request it, when we ever have visitors in the house!

EllanVannin Tue 25-Aug-20 18:13:52

If it's brown, drink more water or see a GP.grin

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 18:21:06

I don't flush after every piddle.
More now that I have a male in the flat, though. Pwooar!!!

phoenix Tue 25-Aug-20 18:24:01

Worse during the asparagus season!

Calendargirl Tue 25-Aug-20 18:24:53

EllanVannin

If it's brown, drink more water or see a GP.grin

I thought ‘brown’ meant that there were solids in the loo, hence the need to flush.

Have I misunderstood?

?

Charleygirl5 Tue 25-Aug-20 18:31:22

Calendergirl no. you have not misunderstood!

Ellie Anne Tue 25-Aug-20 18:33:21

The only time I don’t flush is during the night because toilet is very noisy.
Hate the thought of not flushing through the day.

BlueSky Tue 25-Aug-20 18:40:32

Same as Ellie Anne.

sparklingsilver28 Tue 25-Aug-20 18:45:17

Disgusting, I am for ever finding store loos needing to be flushed before being useable. Any visitor coming to my home failing to flush would not be asked again. Saving water - to my mind just an excuse for being dam lazy.

icanhandthemback Tue 25-Aug-20 18:48:22

Urgh, flush every time. My uncle used to work nights and my aunt looked after at least 6 kids who weren't allowed to flush all day. It used to make me gag and I can't "go" if someone hasn't flushed before me. Nowadays, modern toilets don't use as much water and I think the toilets get grubbier quicker. I can't imagine what they'd be like if we didn't flush every time.

Illte Tue 25-Aug-20 18:51:16

Going into the toilet to hover over someone else's wee? Or even my own stale wee! I'd have to flush it (and probably clean it) before I could use it.

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 18:52:12

Water is a finite resource (clean water is, at least)

I'm incredibly mean envoironmentally aware.

Chewbacca Tue 25-Aug-20 18:53:58

Saving water - to my mind just an excuse for being dam lazy.

Maybe you're not on a water meter sparklingsilver? When you're charged for every drop of water that you use, you soon learn not to waste any of it. So yes, you only flush the loo when you've had a poo; leave it be if it's only a wee.^ And why let the water run away whilst you're brushing your teeth? It's a waste of resources. Turn the shower on when you're ready to step under the water. Only use the dishwasher when it's full to capacity. Only wash clothes when you've got a full load. Not lazy at all; just environmentally aware and financially savvy.

PamelaJ1 Tue 25-Aug-20 18:55:26

I stayed in a place that had the small sink as part of the cistern.
We poured some black currant drink down the sink to see the pink flush. GGS was very impressed.
Difficult to clean teeth though, good for small cloakrooms perhaps?
I always flush public loos and, luckily we don’t have 6 children.

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 18:57:27

I'm on benefits, so I need all my money for a huge TV and the latest mobile phone.
I can't spend out on utilities. wink

grannyrebel7 Tue 25-Aug-20 19:09:27

I'm with you Dontmindstayingathome I think it's disgusting not to flush after every wee.

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 19:17:54

It isn't though.

Flushing as little as often reduces the toilet plume effect, when the germs (which are actually less than there are in saliva) puff out into your bathroom.

rafichagran Tue 25-Aug-20 19:17:55

Flush every time, same as my partner. I could not have a unflushed toilet in my house. I find that disgusting.

MissAdventure Tue 25-Aug-20 19:20:58

I can see this thread going on for some time.

25Avalon Tue 25-Aug-20 19:23:36

Don’t mind not flushing wee at home every time when it’s just me and dh but always flush every time when out wherever I am.

Maggiemaybe Tue 25-Aug-20 19:26:35

We don’t have a water meter, so it’s not a question of saving money here, but we don’t flush after every use, just because we don’t waste water. We follow all the water saving practices Chewbacca mentions as well.

Obviously if we have visitors or if we’re not at home, we flush.