Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(49 Posts)
12Michael Fri 28-Aug-20 06:14:36

Good Morning Everyone,
Its looking grey , miserable and wet outside this morning in Brackley .
My usual Friday shop ,and maybe a trip to the bank, and then get a Fish & Chip takeaway .
I watched the Tour De France team presentation last night , a mixture of team introduction and entertainment between team presentations , the presence of the face mask both on and off the stage was noticeable, also watching the European cycle races from Plouay ,and roadside spectators had face masks , plus drivers of team cars .
Take Care ,
Mick

Issipy Fri 28-Aug-20 12:17:06

Good morning all. I managed to take my poor Daisy dog out just as the rain came down in buckets! Quick trip to the post box, and home to dry off. It was sunny when I went to take a donation to the charity shop, but raining again to come home! I think we'll stay home now. Only one charity shop taking donations in my hometown in west Kent

Hymnbook Fri 28-Aug-20 12:00:33

Morning everyone just. Windy and raining here in Sherwood. My friend came to see me Wednesday felt so much better having an actual person to talk to. Yesterday met sisters for a coffee my youngest came in her lunch break. Should have gone into Mansfield to the hairdressers this afternoon but l just can't face it today. The weather bus journey wearing a mask just can't cope with all that, my mood has gone downhill from the previous 2 days. It's a long weekend as well. Hope everyone is keeping well and you can enjoy the coming days.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 28-Aug-20 11:31:52

Good Morning from a dreich Harrogate, It sounds like the whole country has similar weather. Today I shall put together my front room which my DGD decided to pull apart yesterday, then continue trying to clear this Macbook of excess emails to free it up for more rubbish!!
Hope everyone has a good day today and tomorrow

Legs55 Fri 28-Aug-20 11:18:05

Good morning all from wet Devon, sun is trying to break through. Better day than yesterday when I got soaked going out shopping, heavy rain, roads were like rivers not too deep but difficult driving .

Car passed it's MOT on Tuesday, only cost £80, that includes my mechanic's time.

Wednesday I spent all day with my DD & family, we went to Mama's Kitchen in Torquay, lovely waffles & I had a Mint & Dark Chocolate Sundae, not good for the diet but delicious.

Good news yesterday, my Mum is back on the Rehabilitation Ward, I spoke to her on the phone & she seems content & is aware that she won't be going home for a while yet, at 91 we are keeping our fingers crossed that she can return home, she's such an independent ladysmile

Housework day, haven't done much latelyblush & prepare window ledge for painting. Bank holiday weekend, I don't go out, too many tourists, roads too busy but I would like somesunshineso I can get out in the gardenhmm

First I'm of for cafe

Stilllearning Fri 28-Aug-20 11:12:16

Good morning everyone and hi to baubles, it was nice to see another S Lanarkshire poster! Hoping for a walk this afternoon with DD1 but the sky does not look promising. I got the last two Portuguese tarts in Lidl’s too, I do hope I don’t need to eat them both!!

Mapleleaf Fri 28-Aug-20 10:40:33

Good morning from a very wet, grey and breezy South Yorkshire. It looks set for the day.

I think I'll make some lemon marmalade today. I've got one of those tins of prepared lemons you can buy from a well known kitchen shop (other suppliers exist?). So, that will keep me busy in the kitchen for a while.

We should have been setting off for our holiday today but hey ho, that's how it's been for so many of us this year. All being well we'll be there next year.

You can send over a bit of your warm sunshine if you like, Grandmafrench. I think we are in for a somewhat chilly and changeable bank holiday weekend. Certainly not shorts and sandals weather, anyway!

I hope everyone has a good day. Keep safe.
? to our friends unable to post at the moment.

Georgesgran Fri 28-Aug-20 10:33:52

Good morning from Durham. Can’t believe it’s not raining!!
We’ve had every sort of continuous rain here since Monday night - very cool too.

Going to chance a walk sooner rather than later - just in case.
DH’s back is causing problems today - with CKD listed amongst his health conditions - it’s a worry, but he feels it’s more muscular and walking might help.

Have a safe day, everyone. X

Kalu Fri 28-Aug-20 10:15:32

Fingers crossed your DH’s new treatment is successful Nannytopsy ?

Megs36 Fri 28-Aug-20 10:08:39

Thank you Kalu and others who sent us wishes for our Diamond (still waiting!) Anniversary, quiet day, different to 1960.
All the best to those suffering ill health and sadnesss.

GrannySomerset Fri 28-Aug-20 10:06:17

Late this morning after a domestic drama which means the second of three loads of washing is in the machine (you really don’t want to know). Enjoying a belated cuppa and then must summon up the energy to tackle the supermarket. Think I must establish a regular supermarket delivery so that we are in the system before winter.

What was probably the last of our neighbourly Lockdown Bingo last night which has been a lovely social event and a chance to catch up with people. The rain stopped in good time so we have been lucky and it has only been cancelled on one Thursday since it started.

Enjoyed Marydoll’s so-called bargain which would probably fit me, given that I seem to have eaten my way through the last five months, and am as always impressed by Gilly’s enormous efforts on her family’s behalf. Hope we all have the best day we can, preferably drama free.

Grandmafrench Fri 28-Aug-20 09:59:08

A new treatment regime, Nannytopsy. Let’s hope like mad that this makes the difference.

I love Pineau, Kalu. See what you mean about the rip off price, though. It’s around £6/£7 a bottle here so you definitely need to see the back of Covid for a little trip next year, I reckon.

Nortsat Fri 28-Aug-20 09:55:19

Good morning Mick and the GM team, from a grey east London.
We too had very heavy rain yesterday. I twice saw one of our cats get three quarters of the way through the cat flap, see the volume of the rain and reverse back into the room. It’s an amusing sight, to see a cat reversing through a cat flap, especially our Ollie, who is a very big, chunky male ... (shouldn’t laugh...).

I have to have an ECG 48 hour monitor fitted today. I think that means no Saturday wine for me ...
A friend kindly sent me a box of cheesy biscuits, as a small treat and we were saving them for Saturday night, which is our ‘film night’, to have with a glass of wine.

I have pork for this evenings supper and a nice recipe which involves apples and sage.

Good wishes to Bluesapphire, Dragonfly and hoping The Lockdown gangsters all had a comfortable night. Have a good day, all. ?

Nannytopsy Fri 28-Aug-20 09:51:51

Morning Mick and all who follow. A bit late but I have been to the supermarket (for the things I forgot to order) and then collected my click shopping. Had breakfast, now need to clear up for a visitor for lunch. I have sent DH off to the GP (again) after yesterday's afternoon at A&E. He saw two consultants, so he certainly jumped the queue for dermatology, and now has a new treatment regime. Fingers firmly crossed.
Suffolk is grey this morning and the forecast is not good. The August Bank holiday in 2019 was the hottest on record and this one may be the coldest. Welcome to the great British weather!
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Kalu Fri 28-Aug-20 09:47:03

Good morning all from a much calmer Glasgow and although greyish skies, the sun is making a great effort to shine through.

The tiler has finished work on the front porch area. It’s always a gamble whenever choosing someone unknown as the good contacts we once had have all retired now. Our gamble paid off this time as this older chap is an old school trained perfectionist His work is faultless and he has given us a list of his own trusted contacts for various trades.

Today’s project is to make use of the garden incinerator to finally clear the garage of the cardboard accumulated during lockdown. Living it up here. ?

A belated congratulations for your Diamond Anniversary Megs. Such a milestone and I hope you enjoyed the day.
Do you have some news to share with us Marydoll?. As you will now see, the weather has turned out much better than we expected. ?

For whatever reason I had a fancy for a taste of Pineau des Charantes which I bought occasionally in Carrefour. A delicious inexpensive apéritif impossible to buy outside of France. A lightbulb moment had me doing a search online. £15 for the cheapest bottle I could find!! If our planned trip goes ahead next year I will enjoy a glass all the more in France knowing I haven’t been ripped off. Slainte Mhath ??

Wishing all a good day.

jaybee66 Fri 28-Aug-20 09:44:34

Good morning from sunny Worthing. Hardly any wind which makes a change. It did rain hard in the night though.

Grandmafrench Fri 28-Aug-20 09:38:47

Good Morning everyone. Gloriously sunny and blue here ???, but we are promised a little ‘rain break’ late this pm, night and until lunch tomorrow. That will allow some catching up on chores for which the temps have been too high, some comfortable ironing and some baking. This will also allow an atmosphere of shock and indignation to spread amongst the animals as they pretend not to understand my request to ‘pee pee outside, please’. Give it a few hours and they’ll probably have the Vet on speed dial ! ?

Am promising myself to take all cushions out of the garden and check car windows are closed. Can’t forget friend arriving a couple of years ago sitting on a pile of black bin bags......she had left the top down on her car (after weeks and weeks of sunshine it’s an easy mistake to make). Took a good few days to dry out, especially carpets, but she managed to keep her rear dry during her 45 minute drive here. ?

Won’t be sorry to see the back of August. Hérault is now a High Risk area, whilst since the start of this massive problem we’ve happily been low risk. Hoping that another 2 weeks will see the figures change dramatically with many travellers departing. Fingers crossed for that.

Wishing everyone (including the N.E. England rainforest area) some sunshine for your 3 day weekend. May you all have no need for heating ?but a chance to be outdoors and have a bit of fun before your season changes.

Keep safe and well.

Hugs from France.

Gelisajams Fri 28-Aug-20 09:33:31

Good morning everyone. We have yet another wet morning in Morecambe Bay. Hope the weather improves for mumofmadboys next week. I don’t like walking in the rain anymore even with the right gear.
Was planning on visiting DS3 and family, but someone they have spent time with has developed a temperature and is waiting for test results. In the meantime we are keeping our distance. Little DG will have to have her birthday present in the post.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

baubles Fri 28-Aug-20 09:25:37

Good morning from South Lanarkshire where it’s a bit driech again. Visited DS and family yesterday which was lovely but then sat for the best part of an hour in unmoving traffic on the M8 due to flooding. Having a quiet day at home today, just for a change grin.

Grammaretto Fri 28-Aug-20 09:25:20

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Yesterday was a washout. Torrential rain. I had to sit away from the ceiling crack just in case.
A bit better today.
I'm having to return 2 bras I bought online.
I do miss real shops. There are some things I defy anyoney to tell me you can buy online without seeing, feeling and trying on. Marydoll would never have left with the maternity trews if she could have tried them on.
Rant over. As our nearly 3 yr old DGD says "I wish the virus would go away"
Sending best wishes to all those who are poorly.

harrigran Fri 28-Aug-20 09:14:35

Good morning from an overcast and damp NE.
We had torrential rain again all night.
DH has made a complaint about the resurfacing of our road, one very thin layer of tarmac with visible furrows in it. We thought at first that it was just a base layer and they would return to finish the job. It is the shoddiest work I have ever seen.
Click and collect this morning for basics.
Admin work this afternoon and need to sort out GC's birthday gifts before they return from holiday.
Take care everyone.

gillybob Fri 28-Aug-20 09:02:10

Good morning from the North East coast on my favourite day of the week . We had even more torrential rain yesterday and almost all night too and it’s so cold we have the heating on . I have given up hoping for some summer weather to arrive now.

I had a very busy day yesterday splitting myself in so many different ways I didn’t know if I was coming or going . I had my grandson at work with me for most of the day before dropping him off at football training and then picking up little Evie . I had to get my dads big shop with little Evie in tow which isn’t ideal but fortunately she is very good and sat in the trolley happily (randomly) crossing out the shopping list . Shopping delivered to my dad and back home to make dinner before taking little miss home at 9pm. I get her all ready for bed so my DD just gives her a cuddle and her bedtime milk , when I get her home . It’s too late really (and the weather was horrendous too) but what can I do ?

I’m so glad it’s Friday and then end of another exhausting week . A long weekend means my best and worst days do a little shifty about grin

Thinking of our missing friends dragonfly, BlueSapphire and Bellasnana (and her dear friend) and also those feeling poorly or under the weather . Hoping and praying for some much needed sunshine .

Have as good a Friday as possible everyone . Love Gillybob xx

EllanVannin Fri 28-Aug-20 08:57:22

Good Morning All x
An " April " sort of day so far with watery looking sun and showers though it looks as though it had been chucking it down in the night with everywhere looking soggy.

When putting the bins out yesterday I noticed an ambulance across the road and next-door neighbour was saying that one of the neighbours had a fall inside his home. I've known the chap has been getting more and more confused and saying " daft " things but he's really not safe alone now so perhaps arrangements will be made for carers. Very sad when the mind goes.

I question my own mind at times grin as yesterday I went online to order an Australian silver coin which, minted in Perth, will be out on the 1st of September. There will only be 30,000 minted and has the Quokka animal featured on it.
When in Oz a few years ago I bought one with a kangaroo on it and another with a kookaburra, both in a sealed case.
For posterity, you understand smile I'm like a magpie !

A possible visit from D today as I have a Birthday card and money for GGS's day on Sunday. I know he's into Paw Patrol so I'm sure he'll get something he likes or wants. D has got him all kinds of the said toys.

Must give the feather duster an airing because I can see a cobweb on the hearth. It's only when the sun shines on it that I can see it-----and that's not often !
Apart from that not much else. A quick and easy fish chips and peas today. How I've missed my mushy peas, these local shops don't have any. I'll get D to get me half a dozen packets in readiness for delicious pea and ham soup for later on.

I laughed at the trousers Marydoll. You could make holes for your arms and you've got a jump suit grin.

Hoping everyone is okay and I'm sure Gillybob heaves a sigh of relief today.x

Also hope that the day went well for "pensioner" Urmston x I'm sure it did along with others who were celebrating.

Stay safe and well everyone and enjoy your day. xx

Urmstongran Fri 28-Aug-20 08:51:36

Sun’s up here! ??
Good morning everyone from a gorgeous sunny Malaga ?

I slept in late but the heed’s fine this morning thank you GG13! Isn’t it dark first thing in a morning here now Pantglas? Conducive to sleep though!

My diet starts today too Marydoll after I walked past a plate glass window yesterday lunchtime in my nice navy and white dress! (no full length mirror in this apartment) in my head I have a waist but apparently not.
?

momb I need a lie down just thinking of all your exercising with your walking and cycling! I can tell you love it though.
#lazygran

A very lazy day for us today. Gardens, dip in the pool, read, eat an apple (one a day keeps the doctor away - especially if it’s well aimed).

Hope Friday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Taichinan Fri 28-Aug-20 08:51:33

Good morning all from the Angus coast where it's a tad brighter than it has been for over a week now. But every time the clouds look like parting another bank of grey gallops in off the sea. Tai chi on the lawn anyone? Maybe not. Apart from Tai Ch on the lawn coffee and cake in the garden room, nothing much planned for today other than to keep warm! ???

Anniebach Fri 28-Aug-20 08:50:45

Good morning Auntyflo and all x