Gransnet forums

Chat

I hate walking on my own

(111 Posts)
Cabbie21 Sat 05-Sep-20 09:15:08

I am not a walker, but I do like to get out of the house, get a bit of exercise, see some different surroundings.
I can go for a walk in the park by driving to the next village, or pound the pavements in my own village, and I feel safe doing so, but I feel really lonely when I do so, far worse than being in the house. There is no way I would set off across the fields and footpaths in the country on my own.

Does anyone else feel the same?

I really need to get out more, to coin a phrase. But where?
I rarely have anyone else to walk with. DH cannot or will not walk for health reasons( another story). I have been twice with my daughter but a walk for her is several miles, preferably in the Peak District, and I am not up to that.

Hawera1 Sun 06-Sep-20 22:59:15

I bought an electric trike and my husband has an electric bike. He is losing motivation but I love mine. I can go up to 45 km but generally a lot less. I can bike to our village and cafes or a bike into the country. I love it as its exercise but not taxing. I feel so free and I enjoy looking at houses and gardens and all the animals in the country. If you run out of energy you can.use the power to.get home. Really recommend it. Having a trike is also a conversation starter.

HappyBumbleBee Mon 07-Sep-20 02:22:35

How about starting your own walking group? That way you can set the rules so to speak - you could create a Facebook page and if you get people interested pair up into different abilities etc xxx

Sarnia Mon 07-Sep-20 12:01:44

kittylester

Our village have 'Walking for Health' groups. There are 3 different lengths and are led by council trained leaders. The routes vary from week to week.

I know lots of Councils organise these. Are there any near you.

Alternatively, what about a playlist and headphones?

Walking for Health groups are in several places throughout the UK. There is also an organisation called The Cinnamon Trust. They have volunteers walking dogs for owners who are unable to do this themselves. Perhaps a canine companion might be the answer.

Shropshirelass Wed 09-Sep-20 09:37:50

Is there anyone near you who needs someone to walk their dog? This would give you a purpose and they are also lovely company. You meet more people too.

Cabbie21 Wed 09-Sep-20 12:00:46

Tired legs last night after a long walk of 2.5 km each way there and back. I did the first section on my own then met up with my daughter.
I realised how stiff and unfit I have become recently. Waiting in for a delivery now but I must get out again soon, even just round the block every day would help.

Chinesecrested Wed 09-Sep-20 18:52:00

Get a dog or borrow one. I think there's a group called borrowmydoggie.

coastiepostie Wed 09-Sep-20 18:57:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

M0nica Wed 09-Sep-20 19:00:17

I fear U3a Or other walking groups would be too strenuous For me and too regimented.

Possible your fears are totally without ground, but you will never find out unless you make contact and enquire. You may be missing an opportunity for a new hobby and new friends.

I am sure you would not be the only member of a U3A group with bladder problems - think of all the male members with their prostate problems, not to mention female members who have coped with urinary problems since they had children.

The worst that can happen is that you will discover that your fears were well grounded.

Megs36 Thu 10-Sep-20 11:58:30

For years we’ve belonged to aU3A walking group which finished each walk with a pub lunch! We made friends and contacts, after a while both of us found the walk too much so just go to the lunch now ??

OliverZach Thu 10-Sep-20 15:12:16

Locally to us we have a Walking for Health group. It’s a very mixed bag of people and the walks are not arduous but they do get us into the countryside. Try googling them to see if there is a group local to you.