Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Evening Sat'Day

(4 Posts)
Grandmabatty Sat 05-Sep-20 20:43:17

Hi Rufus2 I hope you are well. My music of choice is from 60s and 70s so the Big Band era is definitely before that. I love singers like Ella Fitzgerald and Aretha Franklin, Bing Crosby, Perry Como and Frank Sinatra too. And Glenn Miller of course. We've had a local resurgence of the virus but it appears to be contained at the moment.

Jane10 Sat 05-Sep-20 20:16:07

Artie Shaw- simply the best. A real all rounder too I bet the other band leaders and clarinettists hated him! He made it all look so effortless then just walked away to make films and write books etc
I see we've had an anti mask demonstration here today. I was pretty surprised. I didn't think people minded that much.
We're definitely moving into Autumn a ginger tinge is moving through the leaves. Looks lovely. I always liked Autumn.
Stay safe over there!

rafichagran Sat 05-Sep-20 19:39:24

Good Evening Rufus, hope you are well, very pleasant Saturday for me today, and the rain stayed away.

Rufus2 Sat 05-Sep-20 13:07:45

Paid extra for a room with a view and got this.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uROMn4XVHa0

Here we go again! Better luck this time!?
Now there’s a reminder about minds thinking alike, Jane!
I’m burning some music CDs off YouTube of Artie Shaw classics. Have a listen to the first number on the above URL and you’ll find it will stick in your brain all day. However, “my flabber was gasted” as Frankie would have said, when a lady of a “certain age” in her 50s hadn’t even heard of Artie, let alone his famous “Begin the Beguine,” but of course we’re talking the late 1930s when few Grannies would have been around.
These reminders of how time has slipped away are disturbing, to say the least, but we soldier on undaunted.

When you file your photo in the holiday album don’t forget to caption it with location, date and what you were celebrating, for when you look back for memories! We’ve been in hotels where the view looked down on railway goods yards with appropriate night-time background “music”! Wasn’t mentioned in the brochures! hmm

Our latest railway progs recounted the WW2 battles at Narvik and the efforts by the Germans to build a railway to move iron ore for their war effort. Thousands of POWs, mainly Russians apparently, worked and starved to death on that project.

Another prog. much more soothing was the train line along the Welsh coast from Snowdonia to Barmouth stopping off at places I can’t spell or even pronounce!
Lovely people at every stop.

Lots of Covid riots today, mainly in Melbourne and Sydney. Our Premier is due to release a “road map” tomorrow showing plans for the near future, so maybe that’s why the rioters got in first in case a favourable “map” could undermine their “cause”.
At least it provides full employment for our police forces, but unfortunately adds to the economic costs.
It doesn’t seem that long ago that our Tourism Agencies were proclaiming Melbourne as being the World’s “most liveable city.” I wonder how we rate now?

Weather not too bad for early Spring, but no match for Brisbane! All those Victorian footballers and spectators will be passing out in the heat come Cup Final day in October! Half their luck! envy
Good Health wine wine wine
OoRoo