Gransnet forums

Chat

BBC License new liability for most over 75's

(65 Posts)
Cindersdad Mon 07-Sep-20 07:12:10

I got my free TV license last year and this year it looks like I will loose it. I used to pay by monthly direct debit and expected to hear about the new arrangements. Nothing has been said and my free licensLicene lapsed at the end of July. I don't know if I should contact TV llcensing or wait for them to contact me. If I do nothing will I be liable to prosecution.

Have any of you who have lost your entitlement to a free license heard from anyone yet.

tanith Mon 07-Sep-20 07:41:48

This is from the tv licence website

BlueBelle Mon 07-Sep-20 08:38:48

I was due to start my free one this month I ve had no reminder (I normally get an email) telling me to pay so I ve been waiting for them to send me one
I don’t really know what’s going on whether I get a few months free or even when the paid one for over 75s started I really shouldn’t be having to look it up they should be sending information to me I think What about people without internet have they had letters I ve had nothing

ExD Mon 07-Sep-20 08:44:15

I got a reminder the other day. I'm 81 and had been enjoying free TV for several years.
I could happily watch what I need
on my desktop, but my husband couldn't manage without his football as background music while he sleeps in his chair!

BBbevan Mon 07-Sep-20 08:53:45

We have lost ours. Like you we only had it for a little while. I am told to wait for a letter re payment. Have not had one yet

tanith Mon 07-Sep-20 08:55:59

If you read my post it says in yellow they are writing to everyone in August and September.

MerylStreep Mon 07-Sep-20 08:58:43

I'm not eligible for a free tv license but I cancelled my annual payment. It is due this month so I expect to hear from them. Then I will have the chance to tell them why ?
My neighbour, who is eligible sent a cheque but it hasn't been cashed. No explanation from them.

Charleygirl5 Mon 07-Sep-20 09:02:59

I had a freebie for a year and I received mine about a week ago but have managed to mislay it.

They will get around to letting everybody know and please remember it does not cost any more to pay by monthly direct debit. I have decided to pay by that method because if I peg it I doubt if any money will be refunded.

JuliaM Mon 07-Sep-20 09:03:04

We have had a free TV license For about 5 years now, but always due for renewal in October. I tried to contact them online to buy a new one last week, but it would not accept payment, informing me to wait until the Renewal letter arrived later this month.

Aldom Mon 07-Sep-20 09:08:03

I had a free licence for one year. In August I received, through the post, the application form for a paid licence. Duly completed online. Last week I received my new TV licence, through the post.

Newquay Mon 07-Sep-20 09:10:49

Mm reminds me to make sure direct debit is cancelled. I’ll pay by cheque. Don’t know how they’ve got the nerve! Just get rid of a few overpaid (especially sports) commentators and there would be no need for us to pay!

nannypiano Mon 07-Sep-20 09:52:40

I had an e mail asking me to pay, but I didn't know if it was spam or not, as I found or in my spam folder. So I deleted it.

Charleygirl5 Mon 07-Sep-20 09:58:58

nannypiano it will come through the mail and you can pay online if you want. I think that was spam.

jenni123 Mon 07-Sep-20 09:59:02

Because I get pension credit they sent me free licence, my sister who does not get PC had letter to say they need licence even though her husband is almost 81

Chameleon007 Mon 07-Sep-20 10:02:37

I've had two spam emails nanny piano requesting payment of TV license. Give away was they'd put the renewal date in the email which was incorrect.

songstress60 Mon 07-Sep-20 10:06:20

Don't pay your tv licence! If they did not pay so many presenters outrageous fees there would be money left for free licences. If you are over 75 then make a statement by NOT paying, because they cannot put all of you in prison! My father, when he was alive, said if they removed the free licence he would not pay it.

mbody Mon 07-Sep-20 10:06:28

No letter as yet but several scam emails. Always click on the senders email address which will confirm it’s not from tv licensing. The advice from Age UK is do nothing until a letter arrives.

DeeDum Mon 07-Sep-20 10:10:36

Just be careful do not follow any email links regarding your tv licensing..
THERES A ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF SPAM AND FRAUDULENT EMAILS ABOUT !!!!
hmm

helgawills Mon 07-Sep-20 10:10:53

My 94 year old neighbour had her bill 2 months ago, by post, she does not have internet, paid by cheque.

DeeDum Mon 07-Sep-20 10:15:26

songstress60

Don't pay your tv licence! If they did not pay so many presenters outrageous fees there would be money left for free licences. If you are over 75 then make a statement by NOT paying, because they cannot put all of you in prison! My father, when he was alive, said if they removed the free licence he would not pay it.

IMO That's Not good advice though as you will receive a heavy fine & everyone will have to pay up eventually
Is it really worth the stress of threatening letters & hassle?
hmm

Krispii Mon 07-Sep-20 10:15:35

My Mum who receives PC received a letter outlining all the options. As her POA, I uploaded a copy of her latest PC letter to the TV licencing website. She doesn't have a letter to confirm yet, but I checked online and her free licence has been renewed.
You can check the status of your licence at tvl.co.uk/75apply if you either know your licence number or if they can find you from surname and postcode.
Hope this helps!

Franbern Mon 07-Sep-20 10:16:44

Jjst to remind people that the Free Licence for the over-75's was taken away by the Government some years back. The BBC took it on at the time to help people out. Should never have been their responsibility.
If people wish to complain it should be to the Tory Government - not the BBC.
Of course, if UK pensions were brought into line of those paid in other European countries there would not be a need for these little so-called 'extras' like the ' wonderful' £10 christmas present, and and the heating allowance.

But do not think it shouldbe the resposibility of the BBC to cover this.

DeeDum Mon 07-Sep-20 10:24:12

It's easy to set up and pay a small amount monthly or I think you can pay monthly etc at the Post office ? Worth checking

flowers Another idea, why don't those who have a elderly parent or relatives, who are worried about the cost
Buy or pay towards the license fee for them as a gift flowers

Growing0ldDisgracefully Mon 07-Sep-20 10:35:45

Slightly to the side of the subject, I read something yesterday about the new chap in charge of the BBC considering a 2-tier lucence: 'basic' for news, Eastenders, and a 'premium' licence for other programmes, including Strictly. Given the recent negative press about having to pay the licence, even if you don't watch any BBC channels (and many don't I understand), I sincerely hope the basic is cheaper than the current licence, and is not used for charging an exorbitant fee for the premium licence. We're thinking of cancelling ours, and just watching the subscription channels you can watch without a licence.

rowanflower0 Mon 07-Sep-20 10:41:43

My other half had a letter, but there is two months grace, so he is waiting - if enough people refuse to pay they may do a U turn!