Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do.......?

(87 Posts)
Bluebellwould Tue 08-Sep-20 14:33:47

Manufacturers make ground black/white pepper pots with such large holes? I don’t want a dessert spoonful on my dinner ?.
What other things strike you as stupid?

Witzend Wed 09-Sep-20 13:24:19

Oh, yes, never mind children - so much packaging is me-proof!

Those of you who use shampoo bars, how about conditioner bars? Are they as good/easy to find?
I have to use conditioner (currently Simple, very nice) or my hair’s a nightmare.

Knittynatter Wed 09-Sep-20 15:16:22

Those loops of ribbon that you are cutting off your clothes - they are very useful to crafters - especially card makers! ?

rowyn Wed 09-Sep-20 15:32:54

Jillybird, I assume that you don;t know where you got it from!! Can we have a picture?
And Rufus 2, easier said than done! Grandchildren 200 miles away and I don't think anyone would recommend me challenging a random child with a bottle of bleach!!
Bluebellwould, I'm not sure if we're thinking of the same thing, but I find that an old fashioned tin opener will often lift a jar lid enough to be able to turn it.

elleks Wed 09-Sep-20 15:54:36

@Wheniwasyourage; and Marmite jars!

4allweknow Wed 09-Sep-20 16:39:56

Small feint print on items, nightmare. Why to pump action containers always have about an inch of liquid stuck in the container that the "straw" doesn't reach. Absolute waste.

hicaz46 Wed 09-Sep-20 17:04:38

I love shampoo bars but not conditioner bars which seem very ineffective. Switched to bars to try to stop using plastic, but have had to buy conditioner. Why don’t more suppliers use refills?

Bathsheba Wed 09-Sep-20 17:07:41

Why are jars of hot chocolate much taller than the length of a teaspoon, which is what the instructions tell you to measure the stuff with? Impossible to spoon out when the jar gets low.
And why are many herb and spice jars too narrow for a teaspoon, or a standard measuring spoon?

ss1024 Wed 09-Sep-20 17:12:06

Hard plastic packaging which is difficult to get open. Also, despise excessive packaging as well as a multitude of advertising tags on new clothing.

Kryptonite Wed 09-Sep-20 17:15:57

Cucumber wrapped in tight fitting plastic even though it's already in a plastic wrapper.

Bazza Wed 09-Sep-20 17:21:28

In University Challenge why won’t Jeremy Paxman give the answer to the last question when the bell goes for the end of the programme? I just need to be sure that I’ve got it right?

nipsmum Wed 09-Sep-20 18:07:34

I once had to use a hammer and chisel to get into a bottle of tablets that came as a prescription from the chemist. They usually come in bubble packs in s cardboard box. The chemist said they had to be childproof and had no reply when I said the usual ones were not childproof.

Alioop Wed 09-Sep-20 19:36:13

Open packaging of a large tub and find its only filled two thirds of the way up. Make the packaging smaller & save money!

Janet29 Thu 10-Sep-20 08:17:33

Why do shampoo and conditioner bottles look almost identical?

I put a dot of nail varnish on the conditioner, problem solved!

Gingster Thu 10-Sep-20 08:30:05

Subtitles on the tv obscure the picture and sometimes even In the middle of the screen. Why,!

Lucca Thu 10-Sep-20 08:53:47

Bazza

In University Challenge why won’t Jeremy Paxman give the answer to the last question when the bell goes for the end of the programme? I just need to be sure that I’ve got it right?

Google!

Bluebellwould Thu 10-Sep-20 09:45:30

Constant updates on computer, when I have to press more buttons than before/can’t find anything.

Georgesgran Thu 10-Sep-20 10:55:16

Why do the checkout staff at Lidl and Aldi seems to be on time trials? Items are hurled past the scanner and deposited on a tiny shelf at breakneck speed! Packing is almost impossible before they’re demanding payment.
A friend introduced me because of the low prices (obscure makes) but I gave up with it and will stick to Sainsbury’s and M&S with occasional forays into Waitrose, if (and when) I ever venture into Newcastle.

JackyB Thu 10-Sep-20 10:59:03

Why does the writing on labels (bras in this case) wash out just when you want to look up the size and model number. It takes ages to find a bra that fits, and when you want to buy another one, you can't read the label!

Bathsheba Thu 10-Sep-20 12:08:58

Georgesgran

Why do the checkout staff at Lidl and Aldi seems to be on time trials? Items are hurled past the scanner and deposited on a tiny shelf at breakneck speed! Packing is almost impossible before they’re demanding payment.
A friend introduced me because of the low prices (obscure makes) but I gave up with it and will stick to Sainsbury’s and M&S with occasional forays into Waitrose, if (and when) I ever venture into Newcastle.

They have a shelf all along the windows across from the checkouts - you are expected to throw your items straight back in your trolley, then go over to the shelf and pack. This speeds up the checkouts, which all helps to keep the prices down.
Unfortunately they don't have signage to that effect, so people just keep on packing at the checkout and holding everyone up.

blubber Thu 10-Sep-20 12:22:26

I use a shampoo bar and conditioner bar from the "Soap Mine". Hand made in Beddgelert in north Wales and superior to anything I have tried previously.

cupaffull Thu 10-Sep-20 12:26:09

Why is tinned corned beef still in those ridiculous cans that have to be opened with a "key".
Elf and Safety have missed a trick I feel.

Why is there not a flat back to a toothbrush so it doesn't topple sideways when its had toothpaste put on. If you put the brush down for a minute, you're guaranteed a sticky mess.

cupaffull Thu 10-Sep-20 13:05:11

Jillybird

rowyn, same problem here. I have, though, an 'opener' which is intended for jar tops and find if I use the smallest ring, which has an additional 'nose' (a couple of lumps sticking out) I can squeeze in just the right place to release the "child-proof" mechanism. Two neighbours come to me to borrow it occasionally, both of whom would buy one of their own if only I knew where I got it from...

My mum always used a door jam to open tight bottles . I've just tried it on a press type medicine container and it works.. Remember mums doorjambs were a bit marked tho

Kate63 Thu 10-Sep-20 18:45:51

My issue is the inability to read red type on black background.
Doesn't make sense!
I agree about the minute writing on packaging

TrendyNannie6 Thu 10-Sep-20 18:53:41

Small print on packaging and looking everywhere for the best before dates ?

Georgesgran Thu 10-Sep-20 19:24:16

Thanks Bathsheba - I did see the shelf, but everyone else was struggling with those little wheeled baskets with long handle at the checkouts.

It’s fine if you’ve popped in for a couple of items, but I won’t be going back.