Gransnet forums

Chat

Should I drive again after 15 years?

(62 Posts)
LadyBella Wed 09-Sep-20 09:34:21

I haven't driven for 15 years because DH always buys cars that I feel are too big for me. Have been happy on public transport which is very good in our area. But, because of the virus, I don't fancy buses and trains any more. Never enjoyed driving but wondered if I should buy a small car so I can trundle round the local area. Not sure if I've lost my nerve or how to get confidence back or whether not to bother. I'm dithering.

biba70 Tue 22-Sep-20 16:25:46

Definitely have some lessons.

mokryna Wed 23-Sep-20 07:17:37

biba70

Definitely have some lessons.

I agree. A professional would cover all the driving points and correct any bad habits.

BlueBelle Wed 23-Sep-20 07:44:59

Sorry to go against all the positivity on this thread
As a non driver who manages just fine I d say it depends how old you are I believe (and of course I know you ll all beat me with sticks) there should be a cut off age where you can’t drive any more just like there is for starting driving and I think that age should be 75, well there I ve said it now, all you 76 year old brilliant drivers can stick me in the corner and throw ripe tomatoes at me
There are threads and threads on here about creakiness, lack of strength, falls, ill health, forgetfulness, lack of confidence in older age etc etc etc
I know 94 years olds driving I know people with dementia driving and very ill weak people still driving, a lady after a stoke, and the worst one of all a lovely lady of 84 and very poorly with a terminal illness (not cancer) driving her neighbour 8 miles to hospital at 11 pm AFTER taking her sleeping tablet and getting into bed
15 years is a long time to have not done something, buses are great and as safe as houses they have put a lot into keeping them safe, well certainly in my neck of the woods they are even cleaning them all down every time they drive into the bus station
Good luck with whichever decision you make

TerriBull Wed 23-Sep-20 08:58:42

An arbitrary age as a cut off point for driving doesn't make a lot of sense. Of course faculties become impaired as people age, but there are incompetent drivers out there of all ages. My husband is over 75 and a far better and skilled driver than I am, or ever was, and I am over 10 years his junior. There's no doubt that some drivers do become doddery and their reflexes are no longer sharp as they should be and they have caused accidents, sometimes fatally. I imagine they are a drop in the ocean statistically compared to the accidents caused by young, and often male drivers, and equally those who drink whilst under the influence of alcohol and drugs, again a far greater number than older people who have or haven't taken their medication. Of course every fatality caused by irresponsible driving is one too many whatever the age. Pulling a number like 75 out of the hat is nonsensical some 75 year olds are super fit and as sharp as a knife just as there are those of the same age who will be decrepit, it's very much a matter of how the individual ages. My late father gave up the car when his Type 1 Diabetes symptoms became a problem around age 75 and my mother no longer wanted to drive anymore when she reached her later years. Similarly my late father in law gave up too when he realised that his driving skills were no longer up to scratch, he was over 90 and had driven well until that time. Some aging drivers will stubbornly continue I know when they are a danger to themselves and others. Nevertheless there are many competent drivers in their 70s and 80s.

TerriBull Wed 23-Sep-20 09:00:02

drink drive

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 09:39:09

Bluebelle I'm ready with the ripe tomatoes, so hope you are fit enough to keep ducking.

I have been in cars driven by much younger people but would trust several older drivers I know over and above them.

I certainly wouldn't want to be in a vehicle driven by a reckless young person who is thrilled to have just passed their test and has borrowed Daddy's or Mummy's large and powerful car.

Or someone of any age who thinks 'just one or two drinks' at the pub or at someone's house won't make a difference.
Or someone of any age who has a diagnosed illness which could mean they may have a blackout.

Not everyone 75 or over has health problems.
There are stupid people of all ages.
People under 75 can also have health problems.

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 09:59:54

Older drivers are least likely to have taken illegal substances before getting behind the wheel and are least likely to be using mobile phones whilst driving.

TerriBull Wed 23-Sep-20 10:06:44

Yes Callistemon, forgot to add your point about mobile phones, texting at the wheel etc. Maybe because we remember life without them, but I'm going to stick my neck out and say the older demographic are more comfortable being detached for greater periods of time from their phones and are less likely to be faffing about with them whilst behind the wheel.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 23-Sep-20 10:44:52

I can’t imagine not having a car. I passed my test the week before my 21st birthday and consider it one of the best days in my life. I love driving and the few occasions my OH drives me anywhere, sit with my foot practically going through the floor! The longest I went without driving was six weeks after an arm operation. I was itching to get back behind the wheel. So, go for it and maybe have a short refresher course just in case.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 23-Sep-20 12:12:00

You can rent a dual control car for very little if your DH would tak you out. Maybe he could drive somewhere very quiet for you to practice, then take a few proper lessons. Definitely do it.

mokryna Wed 23-Sep-20 15:42:53

I had parked my car in a parking bay by the side of the road only to come back and find it as a write off, as well as two other cars. The young man had been looking for his phone, which had fallen on the floor, while driving.
If I had written off three cars, everyone would have insisted on me, to stop driving! What did people say ‘ Oh he is young, no one was hurt, lack of experience’. He continues to drive.
Older people have experience and common sense, take lessons with a driving instructor and let him decide.