Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you choose

(62 Posts)
Juicylucy Thu 10-Sep-20 09:51:06

I donate to 2 small charities each year one animal and one children then I change to another 2 the next year,

BusterTank Thu 10-Sep-20 09:50:20

You have to choose what's close to you and your families heart . I chose help the heroes because my husband is ex forces . Don't feel pressured into giving and only give what you can afford .

Esspee Thu 10-Sep-20 09:48:06

When my husband was dying the hospice took him in for things like blood transfusions and the odd overnight stay. They were wonderful so any donations go to them.

Illte Thu 10-Sep-20 09:43:43

I stopped donating to big Charities because of the massive salaries of Executives. Its a shame because the actual workers like Marie Curie nurses are wonderful.

I volunteered in fund raising for Sue Ryder but the new Area Fund Raiser didn't want the little fund raisers like Coffee Mornings just big sponsored events so I gave that up.

Just lately I've taken yo looking at sites like GoFundMe and donating to individuals.

I always thought if I was rich I'd have a fund that just helped tide people over a bumpy patch. There have been times in my life when £50 would have made all the difference!

Greeneyedgirl Thu 10-Sep-20 09:41:13

It’s a very personal choice isn’t it? Not all big charities waste money, in fact some are very effective in their work. I like MSF but don’t give money to religious charities that proselytise.

Pollyj Thu 10-Sep-20 09:37:46

Pollyj

I think it try and see what they do with the funds and what’s close to your heart. I give to ‘The Lucy Irvine Foundation’ (Castaway Lucy if anyone remembers her) because of its personal flavour. She shows it all on Facebook, and you can follow the work. (I really funded fodder for the winter and could see the photos of its arrival etc.) No CEOs or big buildings. On the ground, visible help.

Typos. Sigh. I try to find what they do...’ and I recently funded...’

Pollyj Thu 10-Sep-20 09:36:08

I think it try and see what they do with the funds and what’s close to your heart. I give to ‘The Lucy Irvine Foundation’ (Castaway Lucy if anyone remembers her) because of its personal flavour. She shows it all on Facebook, and you can follow the work. (I really funded fodder for the winter and could see the photos of its arrival etc.) No CEOs or big buildings. On the ground, visible help.

Charleygirl5 Thu 10-Sep-20 09:34:52

For me it is more local, London air ambulance service, Battersea Dogs Home and the local Cat Protection League.

I do not give much to The Macular Society- they have so many staff on high salaries and every week I receive a begging letter which puts me off.

DotMH1901 Thu 10-Sep-20 09:33:57

I rarely donate to big charities - so much of their money goes on paying huge salaries to their Chair and other senior managers. My friend has been involved for decades with a village in Gambia and goes out there teaching during the Summer holidays - she collects clothing and books and equipment etc so I donate to her as I know 100% of what is given gets to the children and adults who need it. The village now has its own school which is well equipped, has a football team and is now a training centre for new teachers to study at.

kittylester Thu 10-Sep-20 09:19:06

Headway was brilliant when DS1 needed them so they are my first choice.

Alzheimer's Society do great things and are definitely in need now. I volunteer with them and used to help at events before lockdown. So, they would be another choice.

But, I know that our local children's hospice missed out on our village cancelled open gardens.

So, I agree - it is difficult.

NotSpaghetti Thu 10-Sep-20 09:13:50

I would usually check out the percentage going directly to the cause I support. I read their info at the Charity Commission. I look back and see what they have done in the past, and I might look at GiveWell.org.

If I was in the USA I’d definitely look at the Charity Navigator.

And sometimes I just give regardless!

Oldwoman70 Thu 10-Sep-20 08:51:45

All charities are strapped for cash these days so how do you choose which ones to support?

I have a couple of charities I donate to regularly but every day there is a item on local radio from local charities needing help - this morning there were two. I find their appeals heart rending but I can't support them all - so how do you choose?