Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(50 Posts)
12Michael Fri 11-Sep-20 06:16:26

Good Morning Everyone,
It is twilight this morning , with days drawing in, but its dry that is the main thing.
Today, shop early ,and then come back home and relax before watching the drama unfold in todays stage of the TdF on TV .
There other races of note on as well , but I use other means to see the results.
Take Care ,
Mick

Mapleleaf Fri 11-Sep-20 08:20:31

Good morning all,

It's a rather dull start to the day and I hope it brightens up a bit.

We plan to go birdwatching today if it stays dry and will take a picnic with us.

Sorry to read that you are having such trouble getting your phone reconnected, Ellen. That's appalling service, particularly when they are so eager to take your money. I always thought theses sort have things had to be sorted within a certain time frame or some kind of compensation should be paid due to the customer not having the service they are paying for.

So disappointing for you marydoll regarding Rome. I know you really look forward to that trip. Let's hope that things have vastly improved for next year. This year has been a year of disappointments for so many.

Take care everyone.

Nortsat Fri 11-Sep-20 08:21:48

Good morning Mick and the GM team from a currently sunny east London.

Thank you GMers for all your good wishes for our wedding anniversary, we had a very nice day and rather too much champagne (though I wonder, as I write that, whether it’s even possible).

We jointly bought ourselves a robot vacuum cleaner, which was delivered yesterday. The task today is mapping the floors ... my partner is itching to get at it...

EV I understand and sympathise with your frustration at the incompetence regarding your phone situation. I know that helpless feeling that you might as well be bashing your head against a brick wall. Grrr ...

Nfkdumpling your description of an apricot sunrise made me want to be in Norfolk... now ....

Oh Marydoll so sorry about R**e. I felt wistful for you, you described loving shopping in the Sunday market there and then the irony as your next paragraph read “Tesco delivery today”...

grandMattie, the Queen of the Chutney ...

Thinking of Bluesapphire, Dragonfly and of course gilly.
Have a lovely day all and ?to those facing challenges. ?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:25:17

Good morning Mick and all

The sky is really trying to brighten up here in S E Essex. I am exhausted, the adolescent foxes decided to have a party in our garden at 4 am the shrieking and yelping, running and jumping on and off outside furniture carried on until 5am!!!

I was already tired from having 8 month old GC for three days, taking him out in his pram for an exceptional long hilly walk yesterday to avoid him crawling into the hole !!!

Must rouse myself and get to the gym for 10 am (I might be found curled up behind the rowing machine asleep)

Marydoll sorry you are unable to visit Rome this year, hopefully next year.

Thinking of all our missing friends ?

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Sep-20 08:28:40

Good morning all from a grey and cooler south Hants. Off for a couple of nights to a b&b in Dorset, not far, but a change of scenery, won’t leave home until early afternoon for a drive through the New Forest to Poole. Not quite SE France, which was this years plan, but there we are.
Hoping you all have the best day you can, those with plans and those struggling x

MellowYellow Fri 11-Sep-20 08:31:03

Welcome Grannygreyhips. Love your name! grin

Greyduster Fri 11-Sep-20 08:31:06

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a clearing South Yorkshire. DH has a headache this morning; not sure whether it is from his flu jab yesterday. Am I clutching at straws? We don’t have a lot planned for today, so I will make him rest. Shopping later. Welcome Grannygreyhips. We will be in Beadnell next year all being well. Enjoy your holiday. Have a good safe day folks.

Urmstongran Fri 11-Sep-20 08:43:31

Sun’s up here! ??
Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s another beautiful one ?

Have just stripped the beds and the washer is on. No plans today until 5pm when we have an Extraordinary General Meeting in the gardens, to elect (another) new President. We have had the same one for 10 years but he stepped down in February as he was 70y and felt he had done his stint. Then, just before lockdown a new President was voted in. Obviously no-one saw this Spanish guy until we were allowed out of our apartments.

We saw him a couple of times, taking details of users going into the gardens plus their apartment numbers. We now hear he’s on the run and wanted by the Police for swindling an elderly Spaniard out of €40k over the selling of his apartment - the 80y man apparently suffered a heart attack with the shock of it all and is in Malaga hospital.

The meeting will no doubt be lively as a result of the scandal. I hope the Police catch him and hope to hear at the meeting at the elderly man is okay health wise - but what an awful thing to happen to him financially. He will remain devastated.

Hope Friday is kind to us all. Such a shame about Rome Marydoll hopefully on your new meds you could go next year? Sweet of your daughter to visit today. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

EllanVannin Fri 11-Sep-20 08:43:44

Gingster the top and bottom of it is that nobody cares any more.

Anniebach Fri 11-Sep-20 08:54:32

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Gelisajams Fri 11-Sep-20 09:14:46

Good morning from a windy grey Morecambe Bay.
Glad MOBB is home safely and her feet are not too sore! DG6 is coming later to stay the weekend. We will take her home on Sunday. We were hoping to stay overnight nearby in the camper when we take her back but the campsites are full. I keep checking for a cancellation.
Yesterday I didn’t post as we set of early to do our gardening. We planted this one up some years ago and have looked after it since. Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Grandmabatty Fri 11-Sep-20 09:20:30

Good morning All. I'm later this morning as I had a long lie. The weather here in Polmont is showery and windy but fairly mild. I'm not going far today, only to pick up milk as I'll do a bigger shop tomorrow. I intend to crack on with my autumn cross stitch today and do some gentle pottering. ? For Marydoll and the trip no longer happening. We were going to have a family weekend away in October and although it's not Rome, we were looking forward to it. That's cancelled. Oh well, no point in moaning. Have a good Friday all.

Susan56 Fri 11-Sep-20 09:27:00

Good morning from Staffordshire.

We were up at five to get here in time to look after DGS while our daughter and son in law are working.We made such good time we managed to pop into Asda on the way.Think we have peaked too soon today!

We had a successful first day looking after Henry yesterday so hopefully today will be a good day as well with B.He was so happy to see us so ??

Thinking of everybody with illness,worries,frustrations and disappointments?

Taichinan Fri 11-Sep-20 09:35:22

Morning everybody from the Angus coast Grammaretto the warm weather's next week. "Strong winds and rain" forecast for today, meaning no tai chi in the garden this morning. What an exciting time was had by the art group yesterday - the barley field behind the house was visited by a mahoosive machine! And there we were, four ladies of, shall we say, an elderly persuasion, up at the windows ooohing and aaahing and giving our inner child full rein! It used to take a whole day to harvest that field but yesterday it was done in just over two hours. Progress! I'm so sorry about your missed holiday Marydoll but glad your surgery visit went well. And of course your lovely DD is on hand with comfort and cheer. Commiserations Elan, I would be lost without my phone!

I have attached a photo of Mr Mahoosive going about his business but sadly it doesn't do his size justice!

Sending get well wishes to those who are unwell - and to those with holes in their floors and ceilings ?. Have as good a day as you can everyone ???

Auntieflo Fri 11-Sep-20 09:52:31

Good morning Mick, Annie, and all, from a dull, grey bit of Berks.
I had a migraine earlier, but luckily it went as quickly as it had come.
Gelisajams, oh how I could do with you in our garden. It isn't very big, But wears me out these days, even though I love it to bits.
After shopping yesterday I mad a big batch of Ragu sauce and froze it in portions for spaghetti, lasagne, chilli, etc. So now I feel very virtuous.
Grandmattie, what a lovely lot of pickles and chutneys, well done.
I also felt very stupid after deleting all my Important emails on my Ipad. I just thought, that as copies were in various folders, that they would be OK. But no, they have all gone! Somewhere
So if there are any clever types lurking out there, maybe they could tell me if I can recover them?
Sympathies to Marydoll and her lost holiday and to EllanVannin for the telephone company being a "jobsworth".
Urmston , how awful about the chap who swindled the pensioner. Good job he was found out before he could swindle your flat mates.
I could just do with a lazy afternoon on a boat on the broads NFK, enjoy.
Sending best wishes to Gillybob, and all who are under the weather.
Have a good day one and all.

GrannySomerset Fri 11-Sep-20 10:09:22

Awaiting visit of chiropodist while the third load of washing finishes - most of our excitement these days seems to come from maintenance of our crumbling selves! Lovely visit yesterday from old friends from DH’s university days - he and J met on their first day in October 1956. J went into the church and conducted our marriage service so he has had a significant role in our lives.

Thinking of all our posters with difficulties of all kinds and hoping for some news of Gillybob before too long. All we can do is live one day at a time just now.

TopsyIrene06 Fri 11-Sep-20 10:21:47

Morning All

A grim start in the Southside of Glasgow in more ways than one.
I wonder if this is the right place to ask for some help. I face an operation for rectal cancer in the next 10 days. I had abnormalities that needed investigation in March resulting after many tests with this news. Needless to say I am terrified and would so appreciate gransnetters who have faced similar. I really need some support and I have found the health forum so helpful over the past desperate months whilst nothing was happening. So grateful.

CherryCezzy Fri 11-Sep-20 10:47:01

Good morning everyone from Gower. It's grey, again but that has been the case virtually every morning this week and each day has brightened up lovely - so ?

We went into the village yesterday, it was very busy ?. The whole point of the visit was to try to find something I can wear with my new brown leather boots that I had to accidentally buy earlier in the week blush. My WP bought a lovely shirt, I came away with zilch ?
Later in the day we set to pruning back the hedge on the outside facing the lane. Not the right time of year for it but the lane is being resurfaced next week so we had no choice ?.
It's been a tough week, especially for my WP as one of his closest friends died of pancreatic cancer.

Oh, Marydoll I'm so sorry you are missing out on your holiday to Rome but pleased that your GP appointment went well.

Hope those of you taking breaks or having trips out enjoy them. Sorry to hear that so many of you have repairs needed to your homes, I hope they get sorted soon.

Thinking of gillybob, hope your break is rejuvenating you.
Hope you are getting ? BlueSapphire and dragonfly.

Welcome Grannygreyhips ?

Take care everyone, stay safe ❤️

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 11:21:19

TopsyIrene06, I'm so sorry to hear of your health worries.
However, this isn't really the thread to find advice, as it's a general thread, we just tell about our day and the weather..

You need to start a thread of your own in the Health forum with Rectal Cancer in the title and I'm sure there will be people who have had a similar experience and can support you.

I hope all goes well for you with your treatment, you must be feeling very low at the moment. flowers.

Georgesgran Fri 11-Sep-20 11:30:48

Good Morning (just) from Durham. It’s what we would call ‘fresh’ here! More washing has appeared in the laundry basket, so that’ll be the highlight of my day. Couple of hours yesterday with friend hunting around a retail park for sofas. Felt quite naughty, but relatively safe.
Hope everyone has the best day they can. X

TopsyIrene06 Fri 11-Sep-20 11:31:42

Thank you Marydoll

Annapops Fri 11-Sep-20 11:43:22

A late good morning from County Durham.

A more relaxing day awaits today after yesterday's jaunt to Helmsley and Pickering Castles. What lovely places they are and the towns are so pretty. I will definitely revisit post covid as they are quite busy compared to what we're used to.

What did set alarm bells ringing though were the number of school children in the centre of Pickering at lunchtime, in mostly large groups. So much for the bubble system! Our local comprehensives are not allowing children out at lunchtime so this did surprise me.

Have the best day you can everyone. X

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 11-Sep-20 11:44:30

Morning all, I'm bringing up the rear today though I've been up since seven. You must be so disappointed about not going to Rome Marydoll - what about an Italian meal this evening and a drop of something with it as a very small consolation? Not the same though, is it?

A quiet day with the ironing which beckons and maybe a visit to my sister who is sadly out of sorts. I actually managed to paint the shed yesterday which I'm pleased about. I started pruning a laurel bush also which has got badly of hand. If I'd known it was going to grow so high ... !

Hope all is well with everyone, especially those with illness or worries.

grandMattie Fri 11-Sep-20 12:05:19

lbc1955 be VERY careful not to burn any laurel leaves or wood. They contain cyanide!

Hymnbook Fri 11-Sep-20 13:05:32

Afternoon everyone. Hope you are all coping. Met my sister for coffee and a sausage sandwich. Managed to get a table inside it's so cold dull and windy today. Apparently we should have booked. Will do next time.