Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you take your phone to bed?

(150 Posts)
kittylester Fri 11-Sep-20 07:47:28

We leave our phones downstairs, charging, and bring them up with our morning cup of tea when we catch up with overnight happenings.

However, BiL who has a 6 hour time difference, complains that messages we send in the evening wake him in night as he has his phone on in his bedroom.

That seems odd to me but maybe it isn't- what do you do?

dianne2265 Sun 13-Sep-20 09:49:08

I always take my phone to bed as we do not have a landline upstairs and I like to have it in case of emergencies. Having said that it is on silent apart from the alarm clock.

Juneandarchie1 Sat 12-Sep-20 20:29:33

Mines on charge by bed on silent but with alarm on if needed

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 12-Sep-20 20:17:23

111:00pm I wish. 11:00pm

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 12-Sep-20 20:16:18

Yes. It's by my bed every night connected to the external battery charger.

Set not to receive / display anything in between 111:00pm and 7:30am except calls from immediate family.

It's also my alarm when I need one. I'm not any early riser but occasionally have to be.

Nannan2 Sat 12-Sep-20 18:17:30

I do keep it on silent though, and family mostly seem to know not to call me too late or too early.unless an emergency, but they'd ring my son if they cant get me, i dont keep checking it for nothing though.

Nannan2 Sat 12-Sep-20 18:06:27

*meant i dont know anyone who doesnt

Nannan2 Sat 12-Sep-20 18:05:43

We all of us in our house take phone to bedroom at night.i dont anyone who doesnt, i dont think.except maybe GC.& even then only those below teens.

nipsmum Sat 12-Sep-20 10:41:57

I have my landline phone beside my bed. I don't have a mobile phone.

pengwen Sat 12-Sep-20 10:20:33

Contact necessary for urgent calls, because of illnesses we have had to call emergency services,and then family members ( on their instructions) as they have experience of the situation.
Also did on call for a lot of years am was able to get ready and out in a minute even at times arriving before ambulances (too few in many areas).So maybe habit too.

Rosalyn69 Sat 12-Sep-20 10:15:37

I take my phone just about everywhere. I turn it on silent at night.

Rubes Sat 12-Sep-20 10:04:40

I have mine in the bedroom overnight as Daughter always uses that to contact me. Never the landline, which I prefer.
Re charging, I never do this overnight due to fire risk. Always do this first thing in the morning when I wake up.

travelsafar Sat 12-Sep-20 09:09:11

My phone always on my bedside cabinet on silent in case of feeling unwell in the night. I charge it 1st thing everymorning as i have read about chargers catching fire overnight when left on for too long. I am mindful of sending messages to different countries due to the time differences, would hate to wake someone in the night unecessarily.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 12-Sep-20 08:57:44

I think most of our generation charge their phones on silent mode or anywhere other than the bedroom.

Our children and grandchildren's generation are practically addicted to their phones. They keep them nearby at night, and get annoyed if we don't answer immediately, day or night.

Why anyone who isn't on work-related night duty should want their phone by their bed so that they can check it during the night is beyond me, but that it is way it is.

Your family should be able to respect that you do things differently but probably won't - my DIL is mortally offended because I don't use Facebook.

Hawera1 Sat 12-Sep-20 05:41:05

I no longer have my phone in the bedroom as in the early hours one morning I.Went internet shopping while under the influence of a sleeping pill. I spent 8000 dollars. Never again. Didn't even remember doing it.

twiglet77 Sat 12-Sep-20 00:37:51

I don't have a landline upstairs and my AC only ever use WhatsApp to contact me anyway, so my mobile comes upstairs with me.

shirleyhick Fri 11-Sep-20 22:16:00

I never take my phone up stairs but I think a lot of people use them for a alarm clock.

etheltbags1 Fri 11-Sep-20 21:49:58

I take both landline and mobile to bed, I need my fix from facebook before I sleep and upon waking I Google to see what's happened overnight. Also I take them in case of emergency

willa45 Fri 11-Sep-20 21:46:26

We live in a very safe residential community, but ever since we heard about a home invasion in a good neighborhood like ours, we're being more cautious.
These days, we keep our phones charging where they can be reached in an emergency. They 'sleep' in the top dresser drawer (attached to the charger) and only a few steps away from our bed.

Elrel Fri 11-Sep-20 19:54:41

Fire service suggested I stopped leaving either phone or iPad on charge at night. I did.
My phone is on silent by my bed at night, I text DC when I awaken. Also I have very occasionally needed emergency service help during the night.

Alioop Fri 11-Sep-20 19:07:45

Phone stays in sitting room on silent, actually most of day. Don't take it to bed or on dog walks cos I want to enjoy the peace when I'm out. Get shouted at in case I've an emergency, but still go without it. Find my phone a nuisance beeping all the time. I've a digital alarm clock beside my bed. No ticking from that either lol

Jodieb Fri 11-Sep-20 18:46:22

I read online that it is best to keep the battery levels between 80% and 20% for a longer life.

I never charge at night as a friend's caught fire.

Always leave fone downstairs even started to leave my current book downstairs too!

Hetty58 Fri 11-Sep-20 18:34:58

reelashosser, please read and digest:

www.lifewire.com/avoid-cell-phone-electrocution-4589443

Elizabeth1 Fri 11-Sep-20 17:59:31

We were told by the fire service never to leave your mobile or any other device on charge overnight it’s too dangerous and can go on fire our phones are in the bedroom on silent overnight but never plugged in.

BlueBelle Fri 11-Sep-20 17:47:52

My friend takes her to the bathroom with her when she has a shower it’s within her reach but not near the water but she is a bit of a faller and wants to know she can get someone if needed

sarahanew Fri 11-Sep-20 17:43:42

Yes, I'll often catch up/read articles online in bed instead of a book, then all on silent except alarm which I use if I need to be up at a particular time. Charges for an hour in the morning whilst I have breakfast, shower and dress. Phone all ready fully charged for the day and I am too!