Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you take your phone to bed?

(149 Posts)
kittylester Fri 11-Sep-20 07:47:28

We leave our phones downstairs, charging, and bring them up with our morning cup of tea when we catch up with overnight happenings.

However, BiL who has a 6 hour time difference, complains that messages we send in the evening wake him in night as he has his phone on in his bedroom.

That seems odd to me but maybe it isn't- what do you do?

cornergran Fri 11-Sep-20 07:50:36

Our phones charge in the bedroom - on silent mode, no early morning waking for us smile. .

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 07:51:40

I charge mine upstairs Kitty, after I read a story about someone's phone going on fire during the night, while charging. I want a fighting chance to escape.

On a more serious note, I need my phone near me at night, in case I become unwell.

Auntieflo Fri 11-Sep-20 07:54:45

I think the only time we take ours upstairs, is when we are away, and use it as an alarm to wake us.

Pantglas2 Fri 11-Sep-20 07:54:50

No electricals in the bedroom other than light is DHs rule! I actually agree as I place huge importance on uninterrupted night’s sleep!

Any emergency would come through landline which would wake me up from the sitting room - I’d rather not hear texts/emails coming through about latest footie scores!

Chewbacca Fri 11-Sep-20 07:57:14

My phone is my alarm clock, and a night time radio to listen to BBC Sounds and podcasts when I can't sleep. Like Marydoll I keep it close by in case of emergencies.

EllanVannin Fri 11-Sep-20 07:58:32

I wouldn't if I had one. Why would you ? We never bothered when there was no such thing so why bother now ?

Grandad1943 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:02:15

cornergran

Our phones charge in the bedroom - on silent mode, no early morning waking for us smile. .

Same here, I have two mobile phones and my wife has one. All three charge overnight in the bedroom and go onto silent mode at 11:30pm so we get no disturbances.

All our close family know our landline number, so if there were any emergencies they would ring that number and it would wake us up. We also have the same arrangement with them.

I always wake up, check the emails, look at the news headlines and very often post on GN before going off to the office.

Grannynannywanny Fri 11-Sep-20 08:02:25

I have mine at my bedside as I have a loved one in residential care and the staff know I am contactable overnight.
I know we’re advised it’s not good to be looking at phones overnight but I’m afraid I’m guilty sometimes as I’m a poor sleeper. I might look at photos of my grandchildren or read something online. I have the phone in night mode so it’s not too bright.

kittylester Fri 11-Sep-20 08:04:44

The mobile signal in our village is useless and we have to have a land line so we have a 'proper' phone in the bedroom.

DillytheGardener Fri 11-Sep-20 08:09:26

I keep mine with me on my nightstand, as both my sons live abroad and I have a mothers panic should something happen to them if I don’t have my phone on I might miss an important call.

monk08 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:11:00

DH switched off downstairs, mine in bedroom on silent have always had a fear somebody cutting phone wires so having no landline. ( think I watch to many murder programmes hmm)

MellowYellow Fri 11-Sep-20 08:20:52

My mobile is in my bedsitting room nearby at night, but on silent. I haven't charged it overnight since a fireman told me it's a fire risk. Anyway, my son gave me a superfast charging cable so I use that in the day and it takes no time to get to 100% again.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:29:08

Landline in bedroom, GrandpaGravy leaves phone and iPad downstairs, my iPad and iPhone beside bed on silent mode.

tanith Fri 11-Sep-20 08:39:05

I have mine by the bed it’s on sleep mode from 10 to 7am but I have it set so that it allows calls from 2 daughters in case of emergencies.

BlueSky Fri 11-Sep-20 08:42:49

Same as Tanith with DC and DGC overseas is essential.

Pittcity Fri 11-Sep-20 08:45:06

I have mine charging on the bedside table. I set it to go on "Do not disturb" mode overnight and use a Night Clock app.

TwiceAsNice Fri 11-Sep-20 08:48:39

I have mine charging on the bedside table and use it as an alarm on the days that I work . I don’t have any trouble sleeping

sodapop Fri 11-Sep-20 08:49:22

No screens in the bedroom, phone and tablet left charging downstairs overnight. We do have a landline for emergencies.

Froglady Fri 11-Sep-20 08:50:27

My mobile is mostly my alarm clock so it very rarely comes out of the bedroom.

Bathsheba Fri 11-Sep-20 08:56:44

Same as tanith. Charging overnight on Do Not Disturb mode, with exceptions made for DC so their calls bypass the DND mode.

Greyduster Fri 11-Sep-20 08:57:58

I take my phone upstairs at night but rarely use it except when I need to set an alarm as our alarm clock is next to useless. My iPad is always downstairs charging. DH is surgically attached to his phone and his twitter alerts have been known to wake me at unsociable hours! They never wake him!

CassieJ Fri 11-Sep-20 09:02:20

Mobile stays downstairs. I have do not disturb on it from 9.30 - 6.30. I don't need an alarm clock. I automatically wake around 6 am.
I have a landline in the bedroom in case my parents have an emergency

reelashosser Fri 11-Sep-20 09:04:10

I am a very poor sleeper and use my phone to read or listen to audio books through the night - and it's charging at the same time. Since doing this I find I am very relaxed at night and although I do wake up after a few hours, I usually fall asleep again later. A big improvement on my nights before doing this. Sometimes I listen to BBC Sounds, or read on my Kindle App or the Books App. All very relaxing, to the extent that I now enjoy my nights rather than the frustrating sleepless nights of most of my life.

Parsley3 Fri 11-Sep-20 09:08:53

I don't have a landline so I keep my mobile close by at all times, including bedtime.