Gransnet forums

Chat

For all the 'Slack Alices'

(124 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 11-Sep-20 10:18:31

I know there are multiple meanings for this phrase but this thread is in response to those requests for it in the 'no longer bothering with make up and smart clothes' thread.
Smartly dressed, coiffed and made up Grans need read no further!
Back to the topic, I live in M&S straight legged joggers (with lovely stretchy waistband) and assorted sweatshirts and will shortly moved into cosy fleeces. Unlike some, I haven't ditched a bra as I found M&S crop top bralettes very comfortable and, along with their fine big pants, all is safely gathered in!
I wore make up every day in life until I retired and discovered one day that if I didn't wear make up nobody fainted or screamed and pointed and life went on.
All this shows in my face. I feel more relaxed. Due to not having to remove make up with various unguents my skin is clearer and less dry and wrinkled. Of course that could be due to all the fat pushing them out. I have munched my way happily throughout lockdown. I've really let myself go and it's great!
Any more Slack Alices out there with top slack tips?

seacliff Sat 12-Sep-20 10:44:11

Rosalyn 69 I could never be a Slack Alice all of the time. It’s one step up from being a slob in my book

I dress down at home now, but for me, that does not mean I am a slob. I am clean, casual and comfortable in my own (fairly) clean home. When I go out, I make a bit more of an effort.

I have never been one to wear loads of makeup, and perfume never smells good on me, in fact it gives me a headache. I have noticed my skin is clear with no makeup, and my hair is better as I let it dry naturally often, and never use straighteners now.

Helen2806 Sat 12-Sep-20 10:49:55

I never wear makeup as it irritates my skin and then I look like I have a rash.
A few years ago I had my colours done and since then I never wear black and stick to my best colours for all new purchases. I find it makes a real difference for no real effort. I also grew out my grey and the colour stylist’s suggestion and have had loads and loads of compliments.
Seems like for me less is more .

GrannyGravy13 Sat 12-Sep-20 10:57:30

Callistemon and Glorybee when my daughter was about 6 years old we were in an apres ski bar in Austria and the alternative version was sung., she had been playing in the snow outside with some other children and we assumed she hadn't heard/noticed the song or the F word............how wrong was I she ran through the school gates singing the alternative version at the top of her voice to the amazement of all assembled straight towards her best friend Alice and her Mum. I felt dreadfully ashamed.

Mambypamby Sat 12-Sep-20 10:57:43

Well I am so grateful for this thread because I am 61 still working and have gradually evolved my sartorial repertoire over the last couple of years to comfy but smart separates - jersey pull on trousers, t shirts and cardis, with the occasional jersey stretch jacket over the top if I need to look "professional" shoes are slip on loafers or trainers that could pass as smart casual loafers. Slick of mascara, tinted moisturiser, dab of stick blusher and lip gloss - red lippy no longer relevant with PPE etc. Luckily in a new educational role that means I don't need to be suited and booted but still like to feel well turned out - even when dashing to the shops. So many advantages to the "one and done outfit" mode of dressing ncluding not having to change multiple times when leaving or returning home and I never veer from my "uniform" as it removes decision making when dressing!

Naninka Sat 12-Sep-20 11:03:34

GrannyGravy13 Aren't kids great?!!!!!

Bazza Sat 12-Sep-20 11:09:50

Definitely a slack Alice, but with makeup, perfume and matching underwear.

Glorybee Sat 12-Sep-20 11:20:35

GrannyGravy13 ????

Jane10 Sat 12-Sep-20 11:21:00

Not slack enough to qualify Bazza. Sorry.

nannypiano Sat 12-Sep-20 12:03:01

Jane 10, me too, smile).

Jess20 Sat 12-Sep-20 12:30:09

Yes, straight leg (mens) jogging bottoms, all the cast off sweatshirts and t-shirts from my son, trainers, and a backpack as it's so much easier than a handbag. Smart might mean a pair of jeans and a nice wool sweater. However, I make sure I have at least one really smart and vaguely fashionable outfit appropriate for whatever the time of year. I justify it by saying it's good for the environment and most of my friends ae similar in approach. I love the trainers in particular as I can walk miles and even run in them.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sat 12-Sep-20 13:02:15

Wears jeans and comfy tops most of the time, black trousers and jacket with presentable tops for work. Only make up worn these days is mascara and my skin is much better for it although will put my face on if special occasion (wedding etc). Spent years having to worry about business dress, full make up etc so now enjoying a more relaxed style. Do get my hair cut regularly as that seems to make me look "finished" despite my slack Alice ways. I'm often told I look much younger than my mid 60's age so can't be looking too rough ?

sweetcakes Sat 12-Sep-20 13:18:17

I am a confirmed slack Alice always have been always will be.
When I have to dress up and wear makeup I have a foreboding feeling that comes over me and all happyness flys out the window.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 12-Sep-20 13:26:31

Being a Slack Alice isn’t the same as being a Slob in my book. I am clean but don’t use chemicals on hair or body, and not a follower of fashion. I feel confident enough to wear what’s comfortable and not over bothered about rejection by people who judge merely by appearances.

Flakesdayout Sat 12-Sep-20 13:44:29

Im a bit of a Slack Alice and I love it. I wear comfortable sweat pants/jogging bottoms and t shirts, jumpers or sweatshirts. Horror of horrors I went out the other day with no make up. I had my mask on so no need for lipstick or foundation and had the previous days mascara on (most of it not on my eyelashes). It wasnt until I came home and went in the bathroom that I noticed. No one fainted or stared so I feel a change coming on.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 12-Sep-20 13:54:16

Most are more concerned with their own appearance than bothering about others Flakes grin

ExaltedWombat Sat 12-Sep-20 14:11:58

As a man, I can assure you that while I can appreciate the artistry of a 'special occasion' makeup job, in real life I much prefer the way you look without. And your natural hair colour's just fine!

Dareyouto Sat 12-Sep-20 14:19:57

Oh dearie me! Slack Alice meant something completely different to non-grooming when I was growing up. Made me ?.
It rather more referred to a woman of, shall I say, easy virtue and I remember my mum giving a sniff and stating after that was said “ well all I can say is it must be like sliding a banana along the High Street”.
Sorry, but things were different in my day!

CBBL Sat 12-Sep-20 14:57:33

I'm, definitely in the "Slack Alice" club! Today, unusually, and just for a change, I'm wearing a pretty "scuba" fabric dress, because it's a "pull over the head" style with a soft pleated skirt (plus slippers). I have only ever worn an absolute minimum of make up, ever, (lipstick, and maybe nail varnish, if my nails are decent) and perfume if going out! Usually, I live in jeans, and a top, with a jacket if going out. I only discovered jeans after I retired, when I learned that they are available in colours other than denim! Now 73, and overweight - the smart clothes I used to love, look terrible with my "michelin man" figure.

Esspee Sat 12-Sep-20 15:06:00

I don't wear make-up so look much younger than my chronological age. If only older women would realise how much "putting on their face" ages them they surely would stop.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 12-Sep-20 15:14:55

Yes Esspee I think looking in the mirror at your own reflection is not the same image that others see of you.

Actually ExaltedWombat I think most women in my experience, care more about how they look to other women, not men. I don’t mean gay ones either grin

Nvella Sat 12-Sep-20 15:29:23

Love make up - buying it, putting it on, taking it off so would never give it up even though I don’t wear it every day now

Lizbethann55 Sat 12-Sep-20 15:46:03

I am definitely an extremely slack Alice. I have even ditched my bra during lockdown. It is so comfortable!! But I will be summonsed back to work any day now. The smart black trousers, neat blouses, heels, full makeup and most definitely the bra, will all have to be taken out of mothballs. I am dreading it!!

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 16:13:19

GrannyGravy13

Callistemon and Glorybee when my daughter was about 6 years old we were in an apres ski bar in Austria and the alternative version was sung., she had been playing in the snow outside with some other children and we assumed she hadn't heard/noticed the song or the F word............how wrong was I she ran through the school gates singing the alternative version at the top of her voice to the amazement of all assembled straight towards her best friend Alice and her Mum. I felt dreadfully ashamed.

???

Thank you for the laugh, Grannygravy
Don't they let you down!

lizzypopbottle Sat 12-Sep-20 16:23:04

Sainsbury's has some comfy, crop top type, pull on bra tops in white, black and flesh tone. One style has foam pads inside that spare your, and other people's, blushes if the temperature drops unexpectedly, especially if you're outside! I wear them a lot.

lizzypopbottle Sat 12-Sep-20 16:29:14

I have a man's shirt that I found while having a sort out. Neither of my sons will claim it. It's warm but not attractive. I wear it a lot for slobbing around and I call it my ugly shirt.