Gransnet forums

Chat

For all the 'Slack Alices'

(124 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 11-Sep-20 10:18:31

I know there are multiple meanings for this phrase but this thread is in response to those requests for it in the 'no longer bothering with make up and smart clothes' thread.
Smartly dressed, coiffed and made up Grans need read no further!
Back to the topic, I live in M&S straight legged joggers (with lovely stretchy waistband) and assorted sweatshirts and will shortly moved into cosy fleeces. Unlike some, I haven't ditched a bra as I found M&S crop top bralettes very comfortable and, along with their fine big pants, all is safely gathered in!
I wore make up every day in life until I retired and discovered one day that if I didn't wear make up nobody fainted or screamed and pointed and life went on.
All this shows in my face. I feel more relaxed. Due to not having to remove make up with various unguents my skin is clearer and less dry and wrinkled. Of course that could be due to all the fat pushing them out. I have munched my way happily throughout lockdown. I've really let myself go and it's great!
Any more Slack Alices out there with top slack tips?

Tinker18 Sun 13-Sep-20 14:51:47

I've gradually cut myself loose over the past 15 years. I no longer use nail polish, hair dye or foundation (the latter now only on special occasions. The priority for clothes is practical and comfortable; I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my first comfortable bra smile Still shave my legs and use eye make up though, even though my legs never see the light of day!

Jane10 Sun 13-Sep-20 14:44:49

narrowboatnan- no gradations in 'slackness'. You're as 'slack' as you feel!
grinFreeing isn't it?

narrowboatnan Sun 13-Sep-20 14:30:46

Me again! With the advent of mask wearing I decided in my wisdom to let the old facial hair go unchecked. Didn’t last more than a few weeks. Had to take the wax strips to it because the whiskers by the corners of my mouth were going in it!! Does this make me a 5* Slack Alice? ?

narrowboatnan Sun 13-Sep-20 14:27:00

Another Slack Alice here! Since retirement, 5 years ago when I no longer had to look half respectable for meetings etc I sent all the smart clothes to the charity shop and now live in jeggins, leggings, Tee shirts, jump suits and sweaters for winter. Haven’t tried joggers yet, will put them on the list along with the M & S crop top bra substitute mentioned in the OP ?

DanniRae Sun 13-Sep-20 12:02:14

Well certainly not this lady! Greeneyedgirl grin

Greeneyedgirl Sun 13-Sep-20 10:18:19

misty34 I would hate to be referred to as lovely lady (visions of twin set and pearls) and am happy to call myself Slack Alice whatever the connotations. I think women have been constrained to behave in “acceptable” ways far too long. How many men teeter around in 3” heels to make their legs look longer, or have been persuaded that cheese cutter pants, aka thongs, are comfortable and sexy?

Jane10 Sun 13-Sep-20 08:31:02

misty34- I do know about alternative meanings for Slack Alices which is why I alluded to it in my opening post!

Hawera1 Sat 12-Sep-20 23:39:40

Jane 10 yes but the first thing people will see is your gorgeous long legs. The truth is we worry about what people see in us when the reality is they only care about themselves. Do what makes you happy. I have started having facial peels again after seeing myself digitally during lockdown. Didn't like what I saw. I'm nearly 66.

Spangler Sat 12-Sep-20 23:26:46

MissAdventure

I've just realised that I have never liked grey, and used to refuse to wear it.
I wear it now though, if something is cheap, in my size, and long enough to cover my bum.

Oh MissAdventure, don't say that. A few years back, at the funeral of the last of my father's generation, my sister gave me a copy of a photo that I had never seen before. It was of my parents taken just after WW2, my Dad was wearing his demob suit, a grey suit. So taken with it was I that I had a reproduction made, it's in grey, wide lapels, double breasted, wide bottomed trousers and turn ups, I love it.

hicaz46 Sat 12-Sep-20 23:20:06

Yes I’m a slack Alice. I wear trickier bottoms or shorts if hot and t shirts and casual zip through tops. Usually no bra or make up which I gave up years ago (the make up that is). As I haven’t been out very much since March it’s not worth dressing up. If anyone comes for coffee in the garden or I do go out then I do make a bit of an effort.

twiglet77 Sat 12-Sep-20 23:14:15

I'll join the SA club! I'm 64 and the number of times I've worn make up in my life is probably still in single figures - I look terrible with it and so may as well look terrible without it. I wash my hair every 2-3 days and pull it up in a messy bun but am thinking of chopping it off for ease.

I live alone and just dress for comfort. My work uniform (supermarket) is horrid but it's off within seconds of getting home and I'm into nightshirt and lovely Ugg slippers. With weight gain I've found all waistbands roll down my 'apple' waist so I've been wearing comfy T-shirt dresses all summer. As it gets too cold for bare legs I'll have to rethink what will stay in place around my waist!

Hetty58 Sat 12-Sep-20 23:12:24

f77ms, I always looked washed out with blonde hair but now I've coloured it metallic silver, my pale yet warm toned skin looks much better.

www.stylecraze.com/articles/best-hair-color-for-green-eyes-distinct-skin-tones/

Hetty58 Sat 12-Sep-20 23:05:46

I've gone from comfy and casual to ultra comfy/casual now. If I wear something a bit better to go out in, it's off and I'm back in my favourite stuff as soon as I'm home - why not?

f77ms Sat 12-Sep-20 22:56:14

I feel better with a bit of make up, i am so pale with gingery blonde hair i sometimes look translucent ?. Comfy clothes and flat shoes but try to be a little smarter when i am out of the house.

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 22:35:03

grin

GagaJo Sat 12-Sep-20 22:33:40

Not got the energy or the libido sadly. Only one man in my life. The DGS, although I haven't let on to my bloke that that is the case.

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 22:15:55

Too late now
You're not that old, Gagajo, unlike me!

GagaJo Sat 12-Sep-20 22:12:11

Oh I wish, Misty. Too late now but I wish I'd put it about a bit. I was a good girl and wish I'd gone (a bit) bad.

misty34 Sat 12-Sep-20 22:03:22

Sorry to change the theme of this thread but where I come from [NE England] a Slack Alice was someone with very loose morals! Lots of sexual partners etc. I'm sure you lovely ladies posting are not in that category but if you are I hope you had fun!

GagaJo Sat 12-Sep-20 20:51:39

No bra, no make up, night clothes during the day, limited hair washing during lockday.

I miss slack alice-ing around now I'm back at work.

Sparkling Sat 12-Sep-20 20:48:01

Try to make the best of myself even if not seeing anyone, makes me feel better about myself, I do it for me,

clareken Sat 12-Sep-20 20:43:57

Not long gone back to work, beginning of July. Used to wear smart trousers, t-shirt and jacket if I was covering reception. After I went back a policy decision was made that jeans were acceptable, t-shirts if they were without big logos etc. I only ever wore make-up for very special occasions, so don't bother at all now. I think have always been a member of the Slack Alice club!

fluttERBY123 Sat 12-Sep-20 16:47:36

Never much of a one for makeup. Started a few years ago after doing it for a cruise. Then gave up.in lock down. Nowadays I would count myself slack if not wearing pearl ear studs and not slack if I was, regardless of what I'm wearing. Usually trackie bottoms and tee shirt but quite nice ones.

lizzypopbottle Sat 12-Sep-20 16:29:14

I have a man's shirt that I found while having a sort out. Neither of my sons will claim it. It's warm but not attractive. I wear it a lot for slobbing around and I call it my ugly shirt.

lizzypopbottle Sat 12-Sep-20 16:23:04

Sainsbury's has some comfy, crop top type, pull on bra tops in white, black and flesh tone. One style has foam pads inside that spare your, and other people's, blushes if the temperature drops unexpectedly, especially if you're outside! I wear them a lot.