Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I Embarrassing?

(85 Posts)
BlueSky Fri 11-Sep-20 15:27:10

Not just an age thing. There used to be a colleague that in work was more than suggestive, when I met him outside with his wife he replied with a very quiet Hello to my greeting him with a big smile! grin

Grannybags Fri 11-Sep-20 15:19:31

I would have been pleased to get a word out of my 13 year old son if we were alone in our house!

Definitely an age thing

kittylester Fri 11-Sep-20 15:13:14

Oh the possibility that you might want to actually engage in a conversation would be flipping scary.

Pantglas2 Fri 11-Sep-20 14:55:59

Did it and had it done to me!

shysal Fri 11-Sep-20 14:54:05

It is quite normal, I know I was the same, being painfully shy. I am not much better now and will sometimes pretend I haven't seen a slight acquaintance if I think I can get away with it!
I once saw a 13 year old boy hiding in a phone box so that his grandmother wouldn't see him and possibly embarrass him by hugging or kissing him.
Unfortunately she saw him and dragged him out by the ear, much to the amusement of his friends.

geekesse Fri 11-Sep-20 14:52:28

Worry not. When I was chair of governors at her school, my daughter flatly refused to notice I existed if I passed her in a corridor.

A few years on, you’ll be delighted when young men and women you don’t even remember greet you warmly. I was eating in a pub the other night, and the waitress, whom I briefly taught 8 years ago, was eager to say hello and chat, even though I couldn’t remember her name.

Bellanonna Fri 11-Sep-20 14:45:46

Yes, it’s an age thing! I might have felt the same, can’t really remember. It’s such an awkward time of life for young people but they will all grow out of it.

Ilovecheese Fri 11-Sep-20 14:17:48

I would have been too shy to say hello to a neighbour, but might have replied if they had spoken first.

vampirequeen Fri 11-Sep-20 13:44:30

I wouldn't take it to heart. It's part of being a teenager. Most grow out of it and become human beings again.

Calendargirl Fri 11-Sep-20 13:40:05

Walking to the shops this morning, found myself a few yards behind half a dozen schoolgirls, Year 7. I know this because one of the girls lives down our road, I know her mum, a nice lady. Also know the girl, not closely, but she also knows who I am.
She glanced behind her a few times, obviously saw me and recognised me, but quickly looked away.

Now I’m not stupid. I can well imagine it’s not remotely ‘cool’ to say hello to this ‘old’ neighbour when you’re with your mates, but I find it sad.

I know times have changed, but I would always have spoken to people I knew when I was that age. I think my own children would have, not sure about the grandchildren!

Another boy, 13, the son of a friend, pointedly had his eyes cast down to the ground when he saw me one day, on his own, no mates with him.

I don’t expect a full blown conversation, just a simple “Hi” would do.

I think their parents would be surprised at this behaviour, as of course if with Mum and Dad, they act slightly differently.

Is it just me?