Gransnet forums

Chat

Heavy Handed Teacher of Seven Year Olds.

(192 Posts)
Ashcombe Sat 12-Sep-20 18:27:42

This week my granddaughter, aged seven, had a page ripped out of her book by her Y3 teacher for a minor infringement of his rule about setting out. (She forgot to miss a line between the title and the writing.) Three other children were treated similarly.
As a retired teacher, mainly of Y6, I understand the need to establish rules about neat presentation but I would never resort to this aggressive style of implementing my standards. My DGD is conscientious and cooperative in school but her confidence has taken a knock by this strong reaction from her teacher in the first week of term.

Marydoll Wed 16-Sep-20 23:23:28

Another one here who has concerns about safeguarding and the photo, though I think it was innocently done without thinking of the fact that the child could be identified.
My DGD's parents would not be happy if I posted a picture of her on GN.

Iam64 Thu 17-Sep-20 08:10:22

I share the concerns about the OP posting photographs of her granddaughter. The child is too young to give informed consent to her image being shared on a forum. The potential for it being used in newspaper articles seems obvious to me. Is that what the OP wants.

GagaJo Thu 17-Sep-20 08:20:17

I agree with those sharing a concern. I thought the inital comment was inflammatory and designed to show grandparents in a bad light, e.g. teacher blaming. The photographs just add fuel to that belief, and unfortunately, most comments on here fed into that 'blame culture'.

Lucca Thu 17-Sep-20 09:02:45

I just thought the entire thread showed how quickly a situation becomes inflamed. The incident may well have been exactly as the child described however several posters including myself put forward the theory that there could be another side to the story.....completely ignored by other posters.
I was also frankly amazed to see the photos.

Gwyneth Thu 17-Sep-20 09:16:21

I had wonderful grandparents but I know they would never have got so involved in a situation like this, neither would I. It is the parents who should be speaking to the teacher if they have any concerns. I feel that the involvement of grandparents can sometimes make matters worse as they are unlikely to provide an objective view and will almost always take the child’s side.

GagaJo Thu 17-Sep-20 09:19:22

But also, leaping in to school, with accusations or blame is a CERTAIN way to alienate the school staff. I speak as a parent now, not a teacher.

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 09:28:03

I used to tell the children in my school, "what happens at school stays at school." The idea was to sort things out before they escalated and the kids went home whinging.
I once had a parent phone me up at 10pm on a Friday because their son had left a trainer at school and they needed it for the weekend. Of course, they made out it was the teacher who had been hurrying the child to pack away at home time and now had ruined the child's weekend.

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 09:31:36

At the same time, any child who is genuinely emotionally distressed has to be listened to by parent and teacher.

lemongrove Thu 17-Sep-20 09:35:04

Ellianne

What children tell their parents about what goes on at school is nothing compared with what (little) children tell teachers goes on at home!! grin

True!
As in ‘my Daddy showts and drinks wicksey’ ?

trisher Thu 17-Sep-20 10:12:09

I'm shocked to see a photo of the child on here. It could not only identify the child but through that the teacher. Careers have been ruined through less. I'm debating if I should ask GN to remove it.
The OP said that her DGS was looking forward to having this teacher in Yr 6 so he can't be absolutely awful. Children usually exaggerate a teacher's characteristics in school gossip and issue dire warnings to others. I remember a friend whose GS was going into a certain teacher's class coming to ask me if the stories about him shouting were true, she thought her GS wouldn't cope. I assured her he was perfectly fair and only shouted at those who needed it. A few weeks later her GS loved that teacher like most of the pupils.

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 10:24:32

I'm debating if I should ask GN to remove it.

I thought that at the start trisher. But surely that is the perogative of the OP? I would be well miffed if a photo of mine were removed without consent.

trisher Thu 17-Sep-20 10:35:27

Well I've asked Ellianne only because of the subject of the thread. I think it is the first thing I have ever reported. But I am really concerned, not for the OP's GD because that is her prerogative, but for the school, the teacher and all the other children.

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 10:36:28

Yes trisher I agree.

trisher Thu 17-Sep-20 10:38:44

I think one photo of the child would be bad enough, but of her with her mother and grandmother???

Gwyneth Thu 17-Sep-20 10:44:24

As a retired teacher of over 40 years experience, I found that when there was a need to speak to a child or take appropriate action regarding work /inappropriate behaviour etc the child usually accepted that the sanction was fair. I always explained to a child why I was taking such action and encouraged them to express their opinion. The problem arose with parents when they got home. The child might mention in passing that they were kept in at break time or whatever and parents would come storming into school or phone up complaining. In many cases the problem lies not with the child but the parents. The child may well have forgotten about the incident but some parents seem to want to make an issue of it and ultimately cause children more distress. I have seen this happen time and time again with both parents and grandparents. Where this is a serious, genuine cause for concern such as a child being singled out continually then of course parents need to speak to the teacher. I would always end the day by saying something like ‘ tomorrow’s another day and what happened is now forgotten and in the past’.
I see past pupils often and I love hearing about how well they are getting on. One of the comments they often make is ‘you were always fair Miss’. I think most teachers are fair and supportive and only want the best for their students. Today they have a very difficult job.

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 10:50:51

trisher crikey yes, isn't the mum a deputy head too? Eeks!

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 10:56:23

I see past pupils often and I love hearing about how well they are getting on.
That is my pride and joy Gwyneth. My wedding invitation list is great and I've had some past pupils to stay at ours too. Not to mention tickets to venues and freebies!
I certainly don't want to be centre stage in any way, just happy they have fond memories of their school days.

JenniferEccles Thu 17-Sep-20 10:59:53

I am astonished at how the teacher concerned has been hung drawn and quartered by so many on here.

Honestly were his actions really so dreadful? It’s the old story of only hearing one side of the tale, the child’s side, but tearing a page out of an exercise book certainly didn’t warrant all the baying for his blood which has gone on for 7 pages!

That aspect of the thread is, in my opinion, a complete over-reaction, however I do share the concerns of some over the posting of photographs of the child.

Lucca I agree with you again!
This is becoming a habit!!

westendgirl Thu 17-Sep-20 11:02:37

Well said Gwyneth.I did say earlier that the child in school can be very different from the child at home. This does cause problems at times when the parent comes storming in saying their child would not act in that way.Children do act in that way and teachers often see a side to children that would surprise their family .

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 11:04:46

It comes with the job JenniferEccles!

JenniferEccles Thu 17-Sep-20 11:13:23

I’m sure Ellianne !

trisher Thu 17-Sep-20 11:44:56

Here's my reply from GNHQ
Talk about washing your hands!!!
Hello, thanks for you concern.
You're right. We are an open forum and anyone is able to see the photos. But this is the same for other social platforms. We would usually get in touch with the poster just to remind them but we can see that other users have already made her aware on the thread.
Best
GNHQ

How would you rate my reply?
Great Okay Not Good
Guess what my rating was? [grin} I also sent a message saying I hoped they accepted full responsibility for any repercussions.

Ashcombe Thu 17-Sep-20 11:45:45

Thank you for showing concern for the teacher. Many of the points raised are covered in posts I’ve made subsequent to the original one. One wonders how carefully contributors read them.
I do not intend to ask for my photos to be removed as I have not named my DD, DGD, the school, the teacher or the area in which my family lives. My Gransnet name gives no hint of my identity. Such photos as mine are often seen on social media. It will be a while before I post again on this site but I reiterate my gratitude to those who’ve replied or sent personal messages.

Iam64 Thu 17-Sep-20 11:53:39

trisher, this is another of those occasions when we agree. I also contact GNHQ expressing concern that the child is too young to give informed consent to the photograph being on a public forum. I had exactly the same response that you did.

I see the OP has responded to the concerns expressed here by saying she's no intention of removing the photographs.

trisher Thu 17-Sep-20 12:01:01

Ashcombe are you aware that there is a search facility on Macs that enables you to put in a photo and find others which match it? It wouldn't take long for a tech-savvy individual to find your identity. Please remove the photos. If you have any doubts I suggest you discuss what you have done with your DD. I'm sorry if you feel I overstepped by reporting this it is for yours and others protection.