Gransnet forums

Chat

Women's legs & showing too much flesh

(138 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sat 12-Sep-20 22:19:26

Older women's legs seem to get all wobbly, veiny, cellulitely and just plain horrible compared to men's legs that seem to stay the same. Having said that on holiday recently, I noticed a preponderance of older women wearing short, skimpy shorts. I wear shorts myself, but only ones that are just above the knee. I saw a woman wearing teeny tiny shorts and a strappy top that left little to the imagination in a cafe we were in. She was probably late 50s, overweight with huge boobs and her legs were covered in big patches of veins. I pointed her out to DH and he said that she put him off his breakfast! She obviously thought she looked fine, but she was literally wearing next to nothing. I think it's ok when you're young and lovely, but do we really want to see old women letting it all hang out? I certainly don't!

sodapop Mon 14-Sep-20 18:02:42

Apropos of the funeral comment, we were surprised when we went to our first French funeral to find everyone very casually dressed, jeans etc. Some of the men were even wearing overalls. We felt out of place in our smart dark clothing,

coastiepostie Mon 14-Sep-20 17:55:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Poppyred Mon 14-Sep-20 17:49:52

I feel for you grannyrebel7. It’s what a lot of people would think, but maybe not say out loud as you have found to your cost.

trisher Mon 14-Sep-20 17:40:24

My mother as she grew older if you were out with her took to making personal remarks about the people around, in a very loud voice. She especially commented about women, their weight and size and what they were wearing. It was embarrassing. I always associated it with her ageing and I have resolved not to do it. So maybe when I am 90+ and don't really care I might agree with you grannyrebel17 but just now I'm keeping my gob shut, because I'm aware I'm not perfect and "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".
And big boobs are something you have to live with, you get used to men talking to them, but them putting someone off their breakfast is a new one.

Oopsminty Mon 14-Sep-20 17:39:43

blossom14

In my opinion there are plenty of oil paintings that are not much to look at.smile

Mona Lisa being one of them

I know it's the most valuable painting and all that but I'd not have it in the smallest room of my house

Alexa Mon 14-Sep-20 17:35:05

Lucca wrote:

"Totally agree but not necessarily in a restaurant, same for everyone...time and place etc."

Very casual clothing seems to be in vogue in an increasing number of venues. I'd not go to a mosque without a modesty covering, and I'd not go to a funeral in casual clothes.

blossom14 Mon 14-Sep-20 17:18:16

In my opinion there are plenty of oil paintings that are not much to look at.smile

Callistemon Mon 14-Sep-20 17:14:10

And for the people who still have great legs you are so lucky!

We can all have great legs and be a perfect 11 when we're online
???

grannyrebel7 Mon 14-Sep-20 17:05:47

Oh dear I seem to have caused a great deal of offense with this post which was not my intention. I was not judging the lady in the cafe, just using her as an example of how older women don't seem to mind wearing very little and exposing their body parts. I can assure you all the lady did not hear us talking and I would never make unkind remarks or upset anyone over their choice of dress. My DH's remark was a joke and not to be taken seriously. He would not upset anyone either. Sometimes I think when something is written rather than said the humour is lost. I notice that some people criticised me by saying that I judged this lady unfairly. I did not, it was her choice of attire I referred to not her. However, some of you were very quick to judge me just for having an opinion. Thanks to the people that agreed with me. And for the people who still have great legs you are so lucky!

MissAdventure Mon 14-Sep-20 14:51:20

My mum always kindly reminded us we were no oil paintings, and I believe it has been a good thing to remember.

Lisagran Mon 14-Sep-20 14:49:02

A friend’s husband used to be very vocal about other people’s appearances. One day his normally quiet wife snapped that he was no oil painting himself. True, but it seemed to come as a big surprise to him
I did wonder that myself about the OP.....

Callistemon Mon 14-Sep-20 14:47:46

Yes, some people need to look in a mirror.

I do often because I am just so overcome with awe at how perfect I am!
?‍♀️

Maggiemaybe Mon 14-Sep-20 14:41:26

Callistemon

I just feel so relieved that I am a perfect 11, just like Bo Derrick.

Me too, Callistemon. We’re so blessed, aren’t we? wink

A friend’s husband used to be very vocal about other people’s appearances. One day his normally quiet wife snapped that he was no oil painting himself. True, but it seemed to come as a big surprise to him.

Summerlove Mon 14-Sep-20 14:00:57

kircubbin2000

Granny rebel seems to have touched a nerve with a lot of you! If she's at all sensitive she'll never post again.

If she were at all sensitive she wouldn’t have been mocking how another woman looked, And then she certainly wouldn’t have gone to the Internet to mock how women look. But if she is too sensitive to get criticism online, well then I have no words

JenniferEccles Mon 14-Sep-20 12:41:43

What strikes me more than anything is how much has changed over the years in terms of what people think is appropriate attire.

We only have to look back at old photos and pictures from as recently as 30 or 40 years ago to see just what a contrast there is.

We see ‘sights’ every day of the week now, especially when the weather is hot. Is it some form of attention seeking or do people just not care what they look like?

Is it a fact that the British are very bad at the smart casual look?
On holiday in Med countries it’s usually easy to spot The Brit on Holiday compared to the better turned out Europeans !

EllanVannin Mon 14-Sep-20 12:26:05

How people dress or look are / were the least of my worries and always have been.
When on holiday, I couldn't even tell you how any one particular person looked because I went on holiday to enjoy where I was and to take in all a place had to offer.

Blimey there are some nosey, pass-remarkable people ! All I can add is----get a life ( after you've looked in a mirror ) There certainly isn't a problem with the wearer that's for sure !

Summerlove Mon 14-Sep-20 12:14:54

LadyBella

The days of elegance are gone. These days some people just don't care what they look like. I can't believe how awful some people look. I think a lot have totally lost pride in themselves. Personally I don't want to look at older flesh - legs, arms, stomachs... any of it.... even my own. I wear 3/4 sleeves or full length and never, ever show my knees.

I’d prefer people to look “awful” as opposed to have such ugly attitudes

Lucca Mon 14-Sep-20 11:00:31

Alexa

Even people with skin conditions like to get the sun and air about them.

Totally agree but not necessarily in a restaurant, same for everyone...time and place etc.

Alexa Mon 14-Sep-20 10:25:06

Even people with skin conditions like to get the sun and air about them.

Daisymae Mon 14-Sep-20 09:49:57

Oh yes, I was given a plastic Mac to wear in St Marks in Venice as my dress was too short. Well I was in my teens but rather embarrassed. I think most of us have seen things in our time that have taken us aback. I remember a young woman in a local town showing a vast expanse of back that was plastered with a huge Disney tattoo. I think that is the whole point, people want attention. Unless you're like me, happy to merge into the scenery in shades of cream and beige. Covering all extremities of course!

sodapop Mon 14-Sep-20 08:46:35

Bit harsh FoghornLeghorn I agree with *Lucca's bloke on this occasion. I have often looked at people both men and women and thought they didn't look in the mirror before leaving home.
I have a leg that is covered in unsightly thread veins and for this reason I never wear shorts, I think if you opt to be fat then you should not expose others to unsightly rolls of flesh. These are my personal feelings and I wouldn't comment to others about their choice of clothing. Except of course my children.

FoghornLeghorn Sun 13-Sep-20 23:41:57

Bad enough you said it among yourselves but to come on here and boast about it? What a vicious, judgemental old harpy you sound. ?

V3ra Sun 13-Sep-20 23:35:51

We were sightseeing on holiday in Venice on a very hot day one year.
I was asked to leave a church as I was wearing a long sundress with bare shoulders, perfectly decent in my opinion but apparently not to the cleric.
He offered me a rather grubby shawl to cover my shoulders, I declined, we both apologised to each other and I left.

Callistemon Sun 13-Sep-20 23:24:54

I do like to people watch, especially if I'm on holiday.
Fat, thin, young and gorgeous or not, old and lovely or not.
People are fascinating.

Bodach Sun 13-Sep-20 23:02:48

Lucca

for me it’s not veins Etc it’s too much flesh on display in the wrong environment.
I don’t think grannyrebel said anything loud enough for anyone but her OH to hear did she ?
I discussed this with my bloke. He said he simply didn’t believe those who claim never to have looked askance at someone dressed inappropriately for their age size or the occasion .

I'm with your bloke on this, Lucca - and you, for that matter.