Gransnet forums

Chat

Women's legs & showing too much flesh

(137 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sat 12-Sep-20 22:19:26

Older women's legs seem to get all wobbly, veiny, cellulitely and just plain horrible compared to men's legs that seem to stay the same. Having said that on holiday recently, I noticed a preponderance of older women wearing short, skimpy shorts. I wear shorts myself, but only ones that are just above the knee. I saw a woman wearing teeny tiny shorts and a strappy top that left little to the imagination in a cafe we were in. She was probably late 50s, overweight with huge boobs and her legs were covered in big patches of veins. I pointed her out to DH and he said that she put him off his breakfast! She obviously thought she looked fine, but she was literally wearing next to nothing. I think it's ok when you're young and lovely, but do we really want to see old women letting it all hang out? I certainly don't!

Galaxy Sat 12-Sep-20 22:22:41

Well each to their own sitting next to you and your dh would put me off my breakfast.

vickymeldrew Sat 12-Sep-20 22:26:14

Absolutely agree grannyrebel. I can’t understand the compulsion to remove clothes and reveal all this flab. Being only 5ft 2inches, I’m level with some men’s hairy, sweaty armpits too. Whatever happened to decorum?

Starblaze Sat 12-Sep-20 22:29:47

Women can and should wear whatever they feel comfortable in.

You and your husband should be ashamed of yourselves and I hope she didn't see or hear anything negative that would have ruined an otherwise happy day.

Don't be a person that ruins someone else's day.

Hetty58 Sat 12-Sep-20 22:33:10

'She obviously thought she looked fine'

- I'd say she didn't care how she looked and was just enjoying her holiday (nothing wrong with that)!

EllanVannin Sat 12-Sep-20 22:33:36

Every part of me has to be covered grin I should have been born in a hot country because as far back as I can remember, even in my teens, I was always damn cold.

FarNorth Sat 12-Sep-20 22:33:48

Presumably your DH would not have been put off his breakfast if you hadn't rudely pointed out the woman.

Nortsat Sat 12-Sep-20 22:34:53

Oh, what a negative and judgemental post. Don’t come anywhere near me, I’m sure my thighs wouldn’t pass your vigorous test regime.

Galaxy Sat 12-Sep-20 22:35:16

God I hope she didnt hear , I imagine however strong a person you were, part of you would be hurt by that level of rudeness.

Nortsat Sat 12-Sep-20 22:39:57

Way to go Starblaze and Galaxy

LadyBella Sat 12-Sep-20 22:44:19

The days of elegance are gone. These days some people just don't care what they look like. I can't believe how awful some people look. I think a lot have totally lost pride in themselves. Personally I don't want to look at older flesh - legs, arms, stomachs... any of it.... even my own. I wear 3/4 sleeves or full length and never, ever show my knees.

Elrel Sat 12-Sep-20 22:47:07

Yes, what Norsat said!
Judge not, live and let live, mind your own business!

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 22:48:25

Older women's legs seem to get all wobbly, veiny, cellulitely and just plain horrible

Mine are lovely.
Well, they would be if I could get them waxed.

MissAdventure Sat 12-Sep-20 22:48:35

Ah, I think it's a shame to hear women judging others on something so unimportant.

There's room for us all.

Oopsminty Sat 12-Sep-20 22:51:45

Maybe she is a real rebel, grannyrebel7!

It shouldn't matter what anyone else is wearing

Hetty58 Sat 12-Sep-20 22:55:34

Yes, the comments say a lot about the person making them. How sad and shallow to base your self worth on your appearance. Then the urge to criticise others shows insecurity.

ginny Sat 12-Sep-20 23:04:41

If she felt good then it’s your problem Grannyrebel and LadyBella.

I pulled my Husband up the other day when he remarked on the flamboyant clothes a young chap was wearing. I told him that the young man in question would perhaps look at him and think ‘ look at that old bloke in his checked shirt, beige shorts and socks and trainers .’ Also reminded him that our lovely GS has blue hair, a full beard and a small earring in each ear.
As the saying goes ‘ don’t judge a book by its cover’. It is the content that matters.

MawB2 Sat 12-Sep-20 23:06:12

Older women's legs seem to get all wobbly, veiny, cellulitely and just plain horrible compared to men's legs that seem to stay the same
Really?
I’ve seen some pretty knobbly knees and varicose veins protruding from elderly boy scout style shorts in hot weather. And as for beer bellies bulging over the top of those baggy cargo “long” shorts or even worse topless overweight youngish men in supermarkets ......
So if we are bring critical, let’s at least be even handed.
Or have breakfast at home?

geekesse Sat 12-Sep-20 23:08:49

Frankly, I don’t think it’s anyone else’s business what people choose to wear for leisure. People don’t go on holiday to provide you with a pleasant aesthetic experience, they go to enjoy themselves, wearing whatever they feel comfortable in.

You dress how you want to and quit sniping at other people’s choices.

paddyanne Sat 12-Sep-20 23:08:54

Mine too Callistemon my other half says I have the best legs in the town ...lol.He may be biased,ut no wobble or veins here .If there were I would expect him to keep his gob shut or take off his specs then it wouldn't matter.I hate women who talk down other women .

Spangler Sat 12-Sep-20 23:11:16

There are so many faux pas' in what others wear, but who am I to comment? Sometimes it does cross my mind: "What does he/she look like? But then, coming from someone who wears vintage style clothes as everyday wear I think: "Who am I to criticise?" After all I'm probably on social media somewhere under the heading: "Plonker of the day!"

Parsley3 Sat 12-Sep-20 23:13:21

You are not much of a rebel then with your knee length shorts.

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 23:13:56

paddyanne

Mine too Callistemon my other half says I have the best legs in the town ...lol.He may be biased,ut no wobble or veins here .If there were I would expect him to keep his gob shut or take off his specs then it wouldn't matter.I hate women who talk down other women .

Probably better than mine paddyanne.

Although many years ago DH said he saw a woman walking along the road and thought 'what lovely legs' then he said he 'realised it was me.'
hmm

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 12-Sep-20 23:19:05

What an awful post.

I’m just happy that my legs reach the floor.

GrandmaKT Sat 12-Sep-20 23:21:44

When we were in New Zealand recently, at the end of the tea time news, which is hosted by a male and female presenter, the male turned to the camera and said: "and finally, we have had several complaints recently that Ester (or whatever her name was) is wearing tops that are too low and revealing. Ester, over to you".
The female presenter, who I would say is mid 50's said "Thank you. I am very sorry if my breasts have offended anyone, but at the end of the day, they are breasts, 50% of the population have them, get over it!"
Made my day!