Gransnet forums

Chat

Whole school bubbles being made to self-isolate?

(118 Posts)
Riverwalk Wed 16-Sep-20 08:09:43

I've just heard on the Today programme two mothers, separate schools, reporting how their children are now self-isolating for the next two weeks as two children in their respective bubbles have tested positive for Covid. Whole year group bubbles can be around 90 children.

Surely this can't be the right thing to do? I understand though that this is the rule.

How are children to get an education if they can be sent home at any time - it could happen continuously, they go back and then someone else tests positive.

I'm so flabbergasted can't think of anything else to say, but something must be done!

NotSpaghetti Sun 20-Sep-20 10:05:30

Davidhs - friends and family in Sweden do not think Sweden has the relaxed response it is getting known for. They are making lots of changes in how they live just as we are. The difference was that they didn't shut down.

Mollygo Fri 18-Sep-20 22:37:51

Chardy My GS’s school does that, but he says some children don’t have the equipment to use at home. Do all the Spanish children have access to the internet and equipment to use it with? I know all French children do not.

kircubbin2000 Thu 17-Sep-20 15:43:32

This has just happened to my gs but not his brother.How can he isolate at home when the brother is still going to school? I suppose as soon as he goes back another child will get it and they will be off again. How are parents supposed to work?

Chardy Thu 17-Sep-20 14:24:22

The govt said early on that there was to be no pupil rotation in UK.

One country (Spain?) has half the pupils in school for the morning who then work at home via the internet in the afternoon, and the other half work the other way round. Next week they swap over.

If there are 12 tutor groups in a year group, that's 360 pupils in a bubble.

Davidhs Thu 17-Sep-20 13:35:31

Sweden has had a very relaxed attitude to Covid 19, wether the figures published are accurate is disputed, there is no doubt an element of minimizing the numbers. The economy has not performed notably better than the rest of Europe

Jaxjacky Thu 17-Sep-20 12:35:02

MayBee70 covid deaths per 100,000 population in Europe:
Sweden 57.19
UK 62.51
Highest Belgium 86.68

MayBee70 Thu 17-Sep-20 11:56:54

And how does that compare to their neighbouring countries?

Gwyneth Thu 17-Sep-20 10:09:08

MayBee70 5,860 deaths in Sweden compared to almost 42,000 in the UK???

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 10:01:24

Merkel may be a scientist and work by rules, so how did Jacinda Ardern manage it then? Interesting.

MayBee70 Thu 17-Sep-20 09:59:06

Gwyneth

The Covid virus is never going to be contained no matter how much money is spent. Maybe it’s time to follow the Swedish example, keep everything open and hopefully allow people to develop a natural immunity. After all, from what I have read the majority of people who develop the virus only show fairly mild symptoms.

The whole assumption that Sweden has had no sort of lockdown but has been no worse hit that any other country is a fallacy. They had, I believe a voluntary lockdown of a kind, many people died and I don’t think their economy is in great shape either.

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Sep-20 09:44:54

Yes, galaxy, another good point.
I'll keep alert to that trap.
They started that with all that use your common sense nonsense.
I want RULES!angry

Galaxy Thu 17-Sep-20 09:42:19

grin. The thing is I worry we are falling into the blaming the people situation which takes the focus from the government. It might be that Germany is in a better position as they had a leader with a background in science who wasnt driving around the country to test their eyesight.

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 09:37:20

Ja, Deutschland ist sehr diszipliniert als Land! grin

Galaxy Thu 17-Sep-20 09:37:06

I am half german I cant start that threadgrin

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 09:34:49

I find that quite fascinating fanny, I am not keen on ascribing characteristics to countries but I am not sure the British are rule followers as a nation, in many ways this is a positive attribute but ...
What great potential for a new thread!

Galaxy Thu 17-Sep-20 09:33:56

The situation in Germany is very different to here, (i.e much better) my father is German, and I do think as a nation their approach to rules is very different. I am not really saying one way is good or bad but it is interesting. Germany does much better on issues such as littering and recycling (highest in the world I think).

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Sep-20 09:28:59

Yes, I do agree about the national attributes thing.
But they do seem so sensible, and us, well, not so much...
I wouldn't trust us!

Galaxy Thu 17-Sep-20 09:26:01

I find that quite fascinating fanny, I am not keen on ascribing characteristics to countries but I am not sure the British are rule followers as a nation, in many ways this is a positive attribute but ....

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Sep-20 09:11:06

Gwyneth, we are certainly going to find out if the herd immunity thing works whether that's the plan or not.
It's already happening.
Only without the Swedes' sense of restraint and social responsibility.

Gwyneth Thu 17-Sep-20 09:03:42

The Covid virus is never going to be contained no matter how much money is spent. Maybe it’s time to follow the Swedish example, keep everything open and hopefully allow people to develop a natural immunity. After all, from what I have read the majority of people who develop the virus only show fairly mild symptoms.

Galaxy Thu 17-Sep-20 08:56:52

No I think his understanding of risk management and infection control is poor. I have children in school strangely enough I take no notice with regard to their safety from random people on the internet who have no understanding of the issues facing schools.

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Sep-20 08:55:54

Teachers may not be a special case, but they are a different case.
Social distancing, PPE, rule of six...
not for teachers.

Lucca Thu 17-Sep-20 08:53:54

Davidhs “Sending the whole year group home if a couple of pupils are ill is a chaotic policy that is going to disrupt schooling all year.”
Isnt this part of Government guidelines?
I still think some kind of rota teaching might have been better but to be honest I don’t actually think there is a perfect solution.

What is sure is that testing isn’t working well and in my opinion it should be !

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 08:50:03

teachers are not a special case David's comment.
you just dislike anyone saying this truth Galaxy.
No one needs a qualification to understand that teachers are at risk, but so are thousands and thousands of other workers.

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Sep-20 08:48:06

A child at my school tested positive yesterday.
We got an email from the head late last night.
The school is open to all year groups today.
The school have contacted the parents of children that the child had close contact with.