Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it common to spill food down your front?

(45 Posts)
Glorybee Wed 16-Sep-20 18:50:24

Not common as in ‘as muck’, but a regular occurrence for GNers? Even with great care both at home when eating out, a spillage happens often to both me and DH. We have both been brought up to eat properly with closed mouths etc but it still happens. As I’ve got older, I’m not so embarrassed about it as I used to be if it happens when we’re out, although obviously it’s not a good look. I sometimes wear a tea towel bib if I’m eating soup at home!

lemsip Thu 17-Sep-20 00:13:19

as a small child in school a teacher said to one little girl in front of the class, 'did you enjoy your egg for breakfast?' we didn't understand how she knew!

Elrel Thu 17-Sep-20 01:22:42

Toothpaste on nighties, tomato sauce on white tee shirts. Sometimes if I’ve worn a bibbed apron for cooking I leave it on for eating. Towards the end of my working life I usually had a nice (washable) scarfaround my neck just in case...

sodapop Thu 17-Sep-20 09:09:14

MissAdventure

I always get bleach/ cleaner on my clothes, too. Along my stomach.

That happens to me as well MissAdventure Always a wet patch after washing up too.

I can't eat gravy dinners or soup without spilling some on my top. Makes no difference if I sit at the table or eat from a tray. Time for a bib I think.

Alexa Thu 17-Sep-20 09:20:05

I'd not want to eat in public wearing a pale self coloured garment. I feel safer in garments that are more the colour of food and drink. At home I have a small drawer for clean hankies and dinner cloths, and immediate access to a washing machine.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 17-Sep-20 09:21:50

I often wear an apron when I eat my dinner and hopefully that'll catch most spills - unless of course the food has other ideas and lands between the apron and the top.

I eat the vast majority of my meals at the table and leaning forward more helps I think. Eating with a tray on one's lap is fraught with danger, as it were.

felice Thu 17-Sep-20 09:24:14

When going out with DBF he will look at me and say something like "remember we are going to ****** after lunch".
I would then usually change into a dark coloured top !!

PinkCakes Thu 17-Sep-20 12:19:24

I usually spill things down my front - my GC laugh about it. I'm very large-busted (G cup) so that's my excuse.

henetha Thu 17-Sep-20 12:35:20

It's happening with me lately too. And it's a darned nuisance.
So I've got a couple of old tea towels and wrap one across my front to help keep clothes clean.

MissAdventure Thu 17-Sep-20 12:43:42

Toothpaste is the worst, because even as you're scrubbing at it, you know it's going to resurface later on at some point.

LadyGracie Thu 17-Sep-20 13:43:03

If you’re named Bill and married to me yes it’s an every day occurrence, if he’s not feeding his chest it’s his nether regions. He’s not that old either!

HAZBEEN Thu 17-Sep-20 13:53:45

I always manage to spill beans on me when we have had breakfast out such as on holiday and butter or cheese from jacket potatoes at home. I rub a little neat washing up liquid on the marks before putting the top in the wash and they usually come out. I blame my very large chest, it gets in the way even eating at a table.

Kamiso Thu 17-Sep-20 13:56:06

Glorybee

Kamiso - ‘I have taken to putting on a pinafore before eating as I often eat sitting on the settee whilst watching tv’

I quite like that idea, although I’d probably forget to remove it when someone came to the door!

That used to be a serious offence at one time. The wife of the new headmaster answered the door wearing her pinny and became a source of local gossip. At least whilst they were gossiping about her it gave someone else a break.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 17-Sep-20 15:06:02

When I saw the title of this thread my immediate reaction was to answer "More common than to spill it down your back, I would have thought".

However, I do it too (down my front grin ) and usually curry or something else which stains. As for toothpaste... blush

janeainsworth Thu 17-Sep-20 16:14:41

Does anyone else refer to ‘dinner medals’?
Or is it just my family grin

Lona Thu 17-Sep-20 17:06:08

grinI like that Jane!

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 17-Sep-20 17:15:00

I have a 40F chest so am bound to spill food!

DanniRae Thu 17-Sep-20 18:29:56

I too keep my apron on when I eat - yes, meal on a tray in front of the tv - otherwise I get it down my front and I haven't got a big bust!

At the holiday buffet I always avoid beetroot on my salad unless I have a dark top on grin

paddyanne Thu 17-Sep-20 19:26:00

Bleach on clothes is my thing MissAdventure two identical red tops in one week! My almost 11year old GD told me to colour in the marks with felt tip pens ...and it worked,it has worked on black tops too

MissAdventure Thu 17-Sep-20 19:34:55

Oh yes I always use a marker, if it's a couple of dots.