Gransnet forums

Chat

What to wear with this skirt?

(54 Posts)
flyinghandbagisback Wed 16-Sep-20 21:38:34

Hi all,
I've fallen in love with the pictured skirt, but I can't decide what to wear it with as the matching vest top is sold out except in a 14, and I'm an 8.
What do you think would look nice with it? X

MawB2 Thu 17-Sep-20 05:18:37

The colours are just what I was suggesting, I just think that given the time of year, a strappy cami on its own might only be viable for the next few days , hence my suggestion of silk ot crepe shirts. Yes it’s a summer skirt, but transitional pieces can be worn into the next season with other tops.
I hope you have a bit of a tan, as from my observation, not many older women have the décolletage or upper arms for strappy tops for daytime wear except in the garden or on the beach, especially out of high summer)

Ducks as there will be howls if protest from those who do

vegansrock Thu 17-Sep-20 06:13:18

I wouldn’t wear a predominately white lightweight linen skirt with a tropical print in the winter , but you could wear it now with a white shirt and loafers. I’d then put it away till next summer.

Calendargirl Thu 17-Sep-20 06:45:43

FH has already told us on another thread that she is somewhat younger than many on GN, so perhaps strappy tops are not an issue for her, especially as she is a size 8 MawB.

Lisagran Thu 17-Sep-20 07:34:13

Seems odd to ask for clothes advice from older (mostly) grannies if you’re younger and a size 8?

BlueSky Thu 17-Sep-20 07:44:01

Careful Lisagran. wink

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 17-Sep-20 09:06:49

I'd go for a simple white tee shirt to go with the predominant background colour which in my eyes would be flattering but's it's all a matter of personal taste.

Urmstongran Thu 17-Sep-20 09:11:20

With you all the way Lisagran.

MummyJoJo62 Thu 17-Sep-20 09:13:28

I would team this with a neat cropped cashmere cardigan with a round neck Boden have a lovely range
I was a stylist for sixteen years at Monsoon and I just love giving people ideas and getting people to think differently about their choices
Lovely skirt!

Lucca Thu 17-Sep-20 09:15:49

Could be fun in the colder weather with sage green tights and an oversized cream jumper. I quite like mixing up lightweight heavyweight stuff.

MawB2. Totally agree about strappy vests, a much overused garment in this country IMHO.

Lexisgranny Thu 17-Sep-20 09:16:45

I think FHetc is trying (quite successfully, full marks for effort) to start the most ‘trending’ discussions, at the same time, with the most replies.

lemongrove Thu 17-Sep-20 09:21:56

Don’t you usually wear a t shirt and chinos Flying ?
I wouldn't start wearing skirts at this late stage ?

Daddima Thu 17-Sep-20 09:29:37

I have a very similar skirt, and wear it with plain tops I already had, one a plain peach, and the other a moss green. I’ve also got a moss green longline cardigan which matches also.

BlueSky Thu 17-Sep-20 09:33:07

As others have said strappy vests look great on younger women. But as you say FH you are younger than most of us and a slim size 8 so go for it. I like the olive one and the flowery skirt is lovely!

Lucca Thu 17-Sep-20 09:36:10

Actually I don’t think the strappy vests are that great on anyone, rather boring ! Sorry.

MawB2 Thu 17-Sep-20 09:36:43

There's younger and theres younger -
40's?? 50's?
And there's also wind chill factor !?

Witzend Thu 17-Sep-20 10:02:43

It’s lovely. Something elegantly plain in cream - if you can find such a thing. I’d dig my pearls out, too!

BlueSky Thu 17-Sep-20 10:03:33

Who knows Maw 30's 20's? Of course in this country only during a heatwave!

Lisagran Thu 17-Sep-20 10:26:19

I believe wind chill can be as low as the teens? Brrrr

Grannyflower Thu 17-Sep-20 10:37:07

Strapped vest then big chunky knit with ankle boots or trainers. Cross body bag.

Grannyflower Thu 17-Sep-20 10:38:40

Strappy ?‍♀️ Not strapped ?

Calendargirl Thu 17-Sep-20 11:09:51

The skirt is very pretty, but would not suit me. The style and pattern would make my hips look big, which is not a look I want to aim for.
However, as I rarely wear skirts, not an issue.

Kestrel Thu 17-Sep-20 11:16:33

If you are bigger on top go for darker green but pink/white if small on top.

MawB2 Thu 17-Sep-20 11:23:48

Grannyflower

Strappy ?‍♀️ Not strapped ?

You got off lightly - my autocorrect kept changing “strappy” to “scrappy” !

flyinghandbagisback Thu 17-Sep-20 14:49:00

lemongrove

Don’t you usually wear a t shirt and chinos Flying ?
I wouldn't start wearing skirts at this late stage ?

I have never ever worn chinos... I wear a lot of jeans but never ever chinos. X

MawB2 Thu 17-Sep-20 21:32:40

I also meant to add that a good quality top, like a silk shirt can “lift” a budget piece such as this Peacocks skirt
Undeniably, £10 is a snip so it would be worth splashing out a little to create a classier look.