Gransnet forums

Chat

Lockdown pastimes

(99 Posts)
Lucca Thu 17-Sep-20 09:22:44

I’m being a bit pessimistic. If there’s another lockdown I am struggling to think of activities. I found in this last one I couldn’t concentrate on reading. Ideally I would learn a new language but again concentration is an issue. I am not artistic and don’t sew knit etc. Help!
Anything non screen based ?

rubysong Thu 17-Sep-20 09:30:08

I have an old set of lino cutting tools and have bought some easy cut 'lino' to try and make my own Christmas cards.

Teetime Thu 17-Sep-20 09:31:20

Adult colouring books - apparently vey restful to do.

Beechnut Thu 17-Sep-20 09:35:25

I found reading a book difficult last lockdown Lucca.
For this coming winter I’ve been building up my craft stash and I hope to do that. I hope I will wisely use my screen time to pick up tips and ideas.

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Sep-20 09:40:36

My reading has gone right down the pan of late.
I'm even slacking on audio books.
My motivation is in my boots.

Parsley3 Thu 17-Sep-20 09:45:57

Like Lucca,I feel a bit apprehensive about how I will pass the time if there is another lockdown. My initial goodwill and can do attitude is wearing thin now. I was annoyed that I had to cancel a visit to friends last weekend because they are now in local lockdown. The old me would have agreed with the restrictions without criticism but I am fed up now. Having said that I will continue to follow the guidelines and crack open the fiendishly difficult jigsaw that I have been saving for a rainy day.

Witzend Thu 17-Sep-20 09:47:02

Jigsaws? You can often find them in charity shops.

merlotgran Thu 17-Sep-20 09:51:40

I have the same problem with reading and I can't understand why as it's always been a huge part of my life. I only managed to get through two novels during the whole of Lockdown.

There's a list of unread books on my kindle hmm
Maybe the colder weather and sitting by the wood burner will give my concentration a helping hand.

Liz46 Thu 17-Sep-20 10:05:38

Online jigsaws are good. I buy The Times Ultimate Killer Su Doku books.

I've downloaded Libby and borrow ebooks from the library.

I knit for dementia patients at the local hospital and belong to a group that safety checks the items - no buttons or things that could choke someone etc.

Septimia Thu 17-Sep-20 10:21:50

I found jigsaws relaxing during lockdown, even though I had a number of craft things to do, so I'd recommend that idea.

How about pressing some late season flowers and leaves now. They'll be ready by the time you're looking for something to do and you don't have to be terribly artistic to stick them onto card to make birthday cards. My mum wasn't artistic in the traditional sense and she made a lot of them, covering them with 'sticky back plastic' to keep the flowers from rubbing off the card.

Lucca Thu 17-Sep-20 10:27:05

Interesting how many people (RL friends too) struggled with reading!!

Grandmabatty Thu 17-Sep-20 10:27:43

Research family history? Go through old photos and write a note to go with them explaining who's who, where it was taken etc. Buy a selection of puzzle books such as crosswords etc. I sympathise. I've lost concentration.

Chardy Thu 17-Sep-20 10:33:52

Love my Audible as my reading concentration is not what it was.

A lot of YouTube support for crafts like learning to knit, crochet etc and learning other crafts too. Go on YouTube and search 'Learn a new craft'

polnan Thu 17-Sep-20 10:36:32

I lost my love of reading,, kept trying one page, two was good..
it is slowly coming backnow.
jigsaws and jigsaws,, then too much,,

I do very plain knitting, but find I need company/people...

lockdown is the cruelest of cruelity.

Scottiebear Thu 17-Sep-20 10:41:09

I bought some beautiful 1000 piece jigsaws during early lockdown when we were barely allowed out.

jaylucy Thu 17-Sep-20 10:43:44

The researching family history is a good idea - you may find that your local borough library will allow free access online to Ancestry.
You say that you don't sew etc - not all crafts involve sewing.
Have you ever tried jewellery making ? Once you have bought the basics you can even remake or re invent jewellery either that you no longer wear or can buy from charity shops - quite surprising how many beads in a necklace can be used for bracelets, earrings, new necklaces/ pendants.
Plenty of advice on You Tube or there is a jewellery maker channel on tv to get you started!

Liz46 Thu 17-Sep-20 10:58:36

It's strange about the reading. I lost my love of reading during lockdown but then I borrowed Trust Me by Lesley Pearse as an ebook. I had read it before but thoroughly enjoyed it and am back into reading. I have also enjoyed a JoJo Moye book.

minxie Thu 17-Sep-20 11:03:32

How about learning sign language, you can learn on you tube.
Colouring in books for adults are very therapeutic
Write stories if your fed up of reading
Go through old photos and put them on a digital Photoframe
Find new recipes and make up some new meal plans

Disgruntled Thu 17-Sep-20 11:04:23

Hi Lucca , how about radio? Not necessarily current programmes (apart from More or Less) but I've loved listening to Sounds: 'In Our Time', 'The History of the World in 100 Objects' and for light relief 'It's A Fair Cop' and 'Cabin Pressure'.

Anrol Thu 17-Sep-20 11:04:31

I spent many, many hours on the last lock down looking at Google Earth. I chose a country to look at, I started with places I’ve visited. There is a drop down box with general info. Then I Googled the country for more info, which lead me to lots of websites, where I was able to browse details about the country, languages, customs, food, history, animals, people, tribes, flora & fauna, etc. I found it fascinating and broadened my knowledge.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Sep-20 11:05:26

Downloaded so many books to my kindle, DiL gave me some real books I managed to read one kindle book over three months whereas normally I read two books a week.

Assembled my cross stitch fabric onto a frame put it in a bag with threads and pattern and there it has stayed.

The only thing I have been consistent with is baking.........my waistline is testament to this ?????

Juicylucy Thu 17-Sep-20 11:12:18

Another one here struggling to pick up my book I get couple of pages in then put it down again. I’d recommend jigsaws.

Calendargirl Thu 17-Sep-20 11:20:28

Well, I seem to have bucked the reading trend.
After not reading much for years, I read dozens of books on Libby during Lockdown. Got through one every couple of days. Magazines, however, no interest in them.

Also walked more, especially in the early morning before others were up.

Peewitt52 Thu 17-Sep-20 11:21:38

I’m with others who suggest family history. I’ve spent many hours over the last few months digging into my past. I use some pay sites but familysearch.org is a good free one if you don’t want/can’t get to the library for Ancestry.

Aepgirl Thu 17-Sep-20 11:38:22

This difficulty in concentrating on reading is odd. I’ve always been an avid reader of all sorts of books, but I found I couldn’t concentrate on reading when I was going through my divorce, and then again in lockdown. It’s comforting to know others have had the same problem.