Gransnet forums

Chat

Motorway Services

(17 Posts)
Teetime Wed 30-Sep-20 10:17:21

I pop up and down the A50 and M6 regularly and haven't had any problems. The queues are usually for the fats food outlets which I dont use anyway juts the loos and possibly the M & S store. Everyone seems to be wearing a mask.

Greyduster Wed 30-Sep-20 08:43:34

We travelled to the West Country and back in August and used several motorway services. All were very clean and well managed. You will have no difficulties I’m sure.

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 00:07:39

Not quite in the same league but I had to make a comfort stop at a garage in Norfolk/Suffolk on my way to visit D and I was full of trepidation as it was a little tinpot place - but needs must.
I was pleasantly surprised with probably the cleanest public loo I have been in outside of Germany where you could eat your dinner off the floor!
The usual precautions on your own part should be perfectly adequate. We have to learn (alas) to live with the virus - but doing all we can not to die of it.

Hellogirl1 Tue 29-Sep-20 23:31:13

Desperately needed the toilets, that`s why!

Hetty58 Tue 29-Sep-20 00:55:09

J52, if you could actually 'see how clean and Covid safe they are' there'd be no problem - but that concept defies logic. There is always the possibility of risk, so why stop at them?

Hellogirl1 Tue 29-Sep-20 00:20:28

I`ve visited 2 today, one on the A1 and another on the M62, nothing to worry about, one way system, toilets very clean, didn`t have any food though, we had sandwiches with us.

notnecessarilywiser Mon 28-Sep-20 10:51:05

Thanks for all your opinions - I did make the trip and agree that the services were less crowded as a result of fewer coaches. FYI I stopped at Norton Canes on the M6 Toll and found the arrangements at Costa to be fine. The loos, on the other hand, were below their usual standard - somewhat smelly and untended. But when you've gotta go ... ! Liberal use of hand sanitiser on departure restored some calm, though.

JenniferEccles Thu 17-Sep-20 23:02:58

What are you particularly worried about?
Toilets in motorway services were open even during lockdown.

BlueSky Thu 17-Sep-20 23:01:53

Ellianne I think some coach trips are running but some have been cancelled as too expensive to run a half empty coach.

J52 Thu 17-Sep-20 22:48:56

I don’t know which motorway you are travelling on, but I frequently travel along the M6, M1 and A1M. I was anxious at first, but now see how clean and Covid safe they are.
The services are very well organised with outside catering as well as Covid safe inside food areas.
The toilets are sectioned off and continually cleaned. However, I would not use the hot air hand driers and take tissues to dry my hands.
If really concerned take a flask, a snack and just use the loos.

EllanVannin Thu 17-Sep-20 22:22:34

My neighbour is off on a coach tour soon so it's still on.

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 21:38:11

Bluesky I hadn't stopped to think about coaches in all this. So are coach tours all off now? Could they not take place with people wearing masks like on public transport?

notnecessarilywiser Thu 17-Sep-20 20:59:54

Very reassuring - thank you, all!

B9exchange Thu 17-Sep-20 12:58:52

They are fine, don't put off a trip because of fears over motorway service loos. Standard of food is another issue! grin

geekesse Thu 17-Sep-20 12:57:01

Generally very quiet, one way systems, sanitiser everywhere, loos socially distanced, masks compulsory except when eating or drinking. I’d suggest they are probably safer than most town centres.

BlueSky Thu 17-Sep-20 12:12:42

I don't think you'll have any problems. Toilets open with some cubicles closed and same for handbasins. Good and drink mainly takeaways or could be consumed in their outside space/ indoors with distancing. Not many people as hardly any coaches operating.

notnecessarilywiser Thu 17-Sep-20 11:49:27

I'm contemplating a trip next week that'll necessitate a stop somewhere at a motorway service area. I have to admit that the thought of that is making me a little anxious. Can GNers tell me how reassured (or not) they've felt recently in service areas? I haven't planned the route yet, so I can't specify where I'll be stopping, but it's likely to be Midlands area.