Gransnet forums

Chat

Had a bad fall in the (walk-in) shower ?

(118 Posts)
flyinghandbagisback Fri 18-Sep-20 17:12:15

Hi all,
I went for a shower around 12:45 and slipped on a wet wipe when conditioning my hair, falling and hurting my knee. I lay there for around 5 minutes then tried to get up but I couldn't manage it then ended up hurting my arm as I fell back down.

I knocked the shampoo and conditioner bottles from the alcove at the side of the shower in the process too, and the conditioner went up the wet wall and on the floor of the shower, which I didn't realise at the time.

I then lay there for a further 5 minutes trying to see if mum would come in to the house to help me up (she was out cutting the grass) but she didn't, so I decided to try to stand up (I was at the other end of the shower from the shower head, and in a corner of the shower with the alcove above my head), got half-up and then my hands slipped on the conditioner on the wall, landed on my knees which slipped on the conditioner on the shower floor, hit off the wall and ricocheted onto the shower door, so hard it opened outwards, even though it is supposed to open inwards and the clip was on.
My father heard me hitting off the door from upstairs and came in to the toilet to see if I was okay (the shower curtain was shut), realised I couldn't get up and that the floor was swimming with water due to the doors opening, and went to get mum from the garden to help me up.
It took ten minutes to get me up, and mum wanted to phone an ambulance but I forbade her as I was naked. Once she got me up, I could hardly stand, so she had to help me finish my shower then help me upstairs so I could put my clothes on.

All in all, I was on the floor of the shower for 25 minutes. My whole body hurts, especially my arm as I hurt it when I fell the second time and it bounced off the wall then I landed on it when I slipped on the conditioner.

I am very sore, but I am going to do my hair, put on my makeup and go into the garden. X

Calendargirl Fri 18-Sep-20 21:53:29

MissAdventure

It should be called a "walk in, hobble out" shower.

?

MerylStreep Fri 18-Sep-20 21:56:46

Lexisgranny
Proliferation isn't the problem.

Niobe Fri 18-Sep-20 22:00:22

Ahh, now all those adverts for walk in baths, bath lowering contraptions make sense!! You know, the ones where a middle aged lady ,in full makeup, with a perfect coiffure and dressed in a blue or pink bathing suit, is taking a bath in her own home . She’s had a fall in the past and her elderly dad had to help her up. Perhaps that’s the answer FH, wear a swimsuit next time you take a shower!

Lucca Fri 18-Sep-20 22:00:32

FH you must admit many of your threads concern falls you have had. I remember one to domwith falling into a wardrobe.
This is why posters suggest there may be a reason.

lemongrove Fri 18-Sep-20 22:04:40

....and the wall that fell when you tripped, causing beetles to pour out of it.

lemongrove Fri 18-Sep-20 22:05:12

The best one was the wardrobe though, with it’s secret rail.

MawB2 Fri 18-Sep-20 22:05:26

Don’t think OP is listening sad

Callistemon Fri 18-Sep-20 22:12:57

lemongrove

The best one was the wardrobe though, with it’s secret rail.

What, beetles in the shower?
Like an Egyptian plague?

Or was it Narnia?
Were there fur coats on the rail?

confused

Callistemon Fri 18-Sep-20 22:15:43

Actually, I think I may have the answer.

Flying - do you fly a lot, FlyingH?
When I've flown I sometimes have problems with my ears and that affects your balance.

? to me

DiscoGran Fri 18-Sep-20 22:16:04

I think it maybe down to low blood pressure, or, Saturday night fever ??

MerylStreep Fri 18-Sep-20 22:16:06

I thought the cold cup of tea was the most riveting.

MawB
Oh you can be sure they're listening. That's the purpose of the threads.

DiscoGran Fri 18-Sep-20 22:22:44

Well this has been a very entertaining thread, I must say. Cheered me up no end. But I feel sure it is going to be deleted...... Any...... minute.......... now.

DiscoGran Fri 18-Sep-20 22:25:00

Oooh, 22.22, think I'll go to bed. Night, night folks.

Callistemon Fri 18-Sep-20 22:28:42

The night is young, Discogran!

phoenix Fri 18-Sep-20 22:29:26

Anyone else yawning?

Must be nearly bed time.

Sleep well.

Forgive me if I don't add kisses, but will send every good wish.

BlueBelle Fri 18-Sep-20 22:40:49

There’s so many to chose from
I liked the sliding down the wall after eating dinner on the floor one

Charleygirl5 Fri 18-Sep-20 22:46:09

I have missed so many- maybe I was sulking instead of reading posts when I also was told to FO. I was educated at a good Catholic school and I do not really understand language like that. There is a first time for everything and that was my first FO.

DiscoGran Fri 18-Sep-20 22:46:44

I'm still up. Now I want to know about that one, Bluebelle

phoenix Fri 18-Sep-20 22:49:06

First time for everything, as they say Charleygirl Hopefully this will also be your last.

Hugs hun, mwah mwah!

agnurse Fri 18-Sep-20 22:58:25

Yikes! Scary!

I agree that you should rest up. A couple of additional pieces of advice:

-it might be a good idea for your mum and dad to keep an eye on you for the next couple of days. This is just in case you hit your head. I am not sure how old you are, but in people over 65, especially, you can sometimes see brain problems develop days after a head injury. If your brain is having problems, it can be hard to determine for yourself if you're having issues as you've damaged the very thing you're using to see if you're okay.

-you may like to think about installing grab bars, as a PP suggested, or even getting yourself a shower chair, maybe. This is a plastic chair that you put in the shower so you can sit on it. (If it makes you feel any better, not only old people use shower chairs. We used to use them for new mums when I worked in hospital. Understandably the mums would want a shower after the baby was born, and we would put the chair in so they wouldn't pass out from their BP dropping due to the water being warm.)

-if the falls are becoming a recurring issue I'd strongly recommend that you see your provider. Depending on what's happening at the time of the fall, they may order some tests to see if there is a physical problem, and they may also be able to refer you to professionals such as physical and occupational therapists. PT can help improve muscle strength, and OT professionals can help determine if there is equipment and things you might need at home to reduce your risk for falls and improve your safety.

MerylStreep Fri 18-Sep-20 22:58:54

phoenix
You forgot Babe.

phoenix Fri 18-Sep-20 23:02:41

Oh bugger! Sorry.

Charleygirl5 Fri 18-Sep-20 23:18:50

phoenix please watch your language- I may have an attack of the vapours hearing that. You know what a sensitive soul I am.

My cat has come to tell me several times it is bedtime and she who must be obeyed so nite, nite.

Lucca Sat 19-Sep-20 08:11:41

Phoenix. ......thin and ice spring to mind??

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 19-Sep-20 08:43:04

Hope everyone has a good weekend

Stay safe

Stay upright.

Save lies