Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling crap, what makes you feel better

(117 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 19-Sep-20 18:21:34

Hello
I'm a very new member.
I've been made to feel so welcome here.
But, bugger me, I'm having a hard time now. I think that we are getting ready for some sort of lockdown.
Shall we share what what we are worried about and what helps?
I'll start. I'm watching chanel 4s 100 greatest musicals. It's flipping awesome x

pegros Mon 21-Sep-20 15:10:04

Reading Gransnet helps lift the spirits. It is good to smile whenever we can. And listening to the radio rather than the TV.

threexnanny Mon 21-Sep-20 14:48:51

I enjoyed the 'Les Mis' last night too even though the concert was ten years ago and I've seen it performed live several times.

However, sad to read that Alfie Boe's marriage has become a victim of lockdown.

If we can't wear lipstick what about false eyelashes to flutter over the top of the mask?

fluttERBY123 Mon 21-Sep-20 14:45:42

A 20 minute walk.round the block before breakfast every day - wards off the depression.

rowyn Mon 21-Sep-20 14:43:19

For a number of reasons most of the time I'm very worried, for someone close to me, and for myself because of the repercussions on my (solitary) life. So I look for the smallest thing to look forward to. Often the best I can do is look forward to watching Bargain Hunt with a cup of ( real) coffee and a ( naughty ) biscuit.
And I keep in my head the thought that there are always others who are worse off.
merlotgran, I so sincerely hope that your niece has her operation x.

grannybuy Mon 21-Sep-20 14:13:18

I came upon the Les Mis 25th anniversary concert last night,mind that cheered me up for a while.

Rosina Mon 21-Sep-20 13:54:49

I seem to wake every day now feeling down. 'Usually in good spirits, I now find I can't cope well with uncertainty and the 'three steps forward, two back' that we seem to be locked in. I'm sick of people who won't do as they are asked and are selfishly wrecking life for everyone, but hey! I get up, shower and wash my hair, apply scented body moisturiser, light make up even if nobody is going to see it, get dressed and have a wander in my garden. These small things seem to lift my spirits a great deal, and I feel more optimistic. Probably because they are the simple routines to start my day for so many years that they bring comfort and encouragement to get going. I love quiet classical music, that calms and lifts me, and my dog and cat remind me that if a simple stroke and a pat are enough to make them happy then I should also be content with little. Just as well right now!

MawB2 Mon 21-Sep-20 13:47:08

Thank you Jan12 I am in bits already sad

ChrisK Mon 21-Sep-20 13:44:57

When I'm feeling down my saviour and often used go to is listening to classical music and looking at art online. This combination does wonders for my mood and morale!

Chris0 Mon 21-Sep-20 13:31:43

Gardening which now the autumn/winter approaching will soon not be possible.
Seeing my grown up children which is now out of bounds here in Birmingham.
But depressing all round especially if Christmas family gatherings not allowed.
Will have to hunker down with a nice drink snuggle up in the throw with my dog and read a good book or two.

Elizabeth1 Mon 21-Sep-20 13:28:52

I watched dr zhivago yesterday for the umpteenth time and still love it especially the music you’ll probably be surprised that this brought me a good feel factor as well as my wee walk along the beach close to where I live. people watching for me is a wonderful way of passing time wondering what Im going to get for dinner tonight or tea around five o’clock if you live in Scotland being a coal miners daughter. A nice fat juicy steak with roasted potatoes mushrooms fried onions mustard veggies sounds good to me. I’m salivating thinking if this

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Sep-20 13:23:37

I was very disappointed with Schitt's Creek.
Couldn't even manage one episode.

Caro57 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:54:58

To be honest I am reaching the stage where I would welcome another lockdown if only to stop so many people behaving so stupidly and selfishly. Having heard the news about the virtual Emmies I will explore Schitz Creek via Netflix!

lilydily9 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:35:00

I write. I let my imagination run away with me and disappear into my stories. Almost finished a story about a New Year's Eve party - although no idea when we will be allowed one of those again - but I've fallen in love with the family I'm writing about so that won't deter me. I also find watching an old movie helps when you really can't take anymore of the daily news.

janeainsworth Mon 21-Sep-20 11:25:50

seajaye in 2016 we travelled by boat through Lake Ontario, the Trent/Severn waterway, and Lake Huron. It was magical.
Not sure if this will work but here’s a little video of Lake Huron.
share.icloud.com/photos/0d4sPzY1qjU2bj0piXqHcz8Kw#Killarney

Jaan12 Mon 21-Sep-20 11:06:15

To Maw, I do hope Hattie will be ok. Pets are such wonderful companions in times like these. I lost my lovely friend, Dinky, just before lockdown started due to illness, and have had to come through isolation without her, Have tried to get another cat but so far have been unsuccessful,

Craftycat Mon 21-Sep-20 11:02:57

Not really sure what we are supposed to DO about lockdown- I was not 70 last time round but have just turned. My DH is 57 so he is OK to go out but TBH I didn't really intend for it to make any difference apart from wearing a mask in shops. Still going to dance classes ( we are socially distanced in boxes on floor.) DH brings DGC round & we sit in garden well apart. They are old enough to know what to do.
Still seeing friends for coffee - again sitting well apart in garden.
I feel fine so presume I am doing OK.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 21-Sep-20 11:02:09

b1zzle

I watched the 25th anniversary recording of 'Les Mis' last night with Alfie Boe, Michael Ball, Matt Lucas, Cameron Mackintosh, etc., etc. and it lifted me right up out of my gloom and despondency. Oh how I wish we could be allowed to sing 'in company' again.

This is my go to DVD too.

My thoughts are with those posting here with so many worries and concerns. Glad commenting here helps, flowers

Seajaye Mon 21-Sep-20 10:55:06

janeainsworth; that was my favourite song too. I was not in the Brownies but we sang it at assembly in infant school. Made such a lovely change from the usual hymns. I still hum it to myself when I am out for a walk in the woods. Not yet been to Canada but loved seeing your picture.

Jillybird Mon 21-Sep-20 10:53:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Mon 21-Sep-20 10:45:32

Sending hugs and best wishes to all those who are having upsetting circumstances to deal with just now and hoping everything turns out for the best for you all.flowers
MawB, some years ago we had a dog with kidney disease (in his case congenital), careful diet will help greatly in easing strain on your girl's kidneys so hopefully things aren't as bad as they seem.
Fannycornworth, if you're not a stitcher or knitter, then maybe a cheap hobby to explore is drawing? I'm no artist, (textile crafts are more my thing), but I've been having fun with my 'scribbles', just get yourself a pack of children's pencil crayons and a drawing pad. Have spent a few hours during lockdown and last week's holiday, just drawing wild flowers around the caravan site, scenes from photos or magazines, or anything else that takes your fancy. Just a suggestion for a diversion without a lot of expense.

Mamma7 Mon 21-Sep-20 10:45:26

Ps or Gogglebox never fails to make me laugh ?

Mamma7 Mon 21-Sep-20 10:44:45

Light scented candles, cosy fire, a good black and white movie (Random Harvest, Now Voyager etc) box of Guerlain seashell choccies, puppy on knee, cuddly throw - roll on Autumn (and I love a hot sunny summer but needs must) ???

crazygranny Mon 21-Sep-20 10:44:26

Search for Brene Brown, American professor, The Power of Vulnerability, Ted Talks.
She is very very funny but what she says is so uplifting

b1zzle Mon 21-Sep-20 10:34:43

I watched the 25th anniversary recording of 'Les Mis' last night with Alfie Boe, Michael Ball, Matt Lucas, Cameron Mackintosh, etc., etc. and it lifted me right up out of my gloom and despondency. Oh how I wish we could be allowed to sing 'in company' again.

MawB2 Mon 21-Sep-20 10:31:36

Also to Pensionpat flowers - life is hard these days. sad