Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling crap, what makes you feel better

(117 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 19-Sep-20 18:21:34

Hello
I'm a very new member.
I've been made to feel so welcome here.
But, bugger me, I'm having a hard time now. I think that we are getting ready for some sort of lockdown.
Shall we share what what we are worried about and what helps?
I'll start. I'm watching chanel 4s 100 greatest musicals. It's flipping awesome x

Maggiemaybe Sun 20-Sep-20 13:25:49

Same here, Merlot. I am tallying up the glasses to make sure I don't go over the 14 units every week, honest! But I look forward to sitting down with my glass of red of an evening.

A lot of my friends have cut out, or cut down on, their intake since all this started. I'm suitably impressed, but have taken up daily exercise sessions instead. smile

janeainsworth Sun 20-Sep-20 13:37:17

maggie And gov.uk hasn't even been updated with our new restrictions, which were announced on Thursday
The Northumberland County council website has detailed information - including what is actually illegal as opposed to just advisory.
I don’t think you’re in Northumberland but it will be the same throughout the NE lockdown areas.

MawB2 Sun 20-Sep-20 13:47:09

On the subject of retail therapy to lift the spirits, I came across this.
So if buying the new dress doesn’t “do the business” you clearly need the bag and shoes as well.

Libby65 Sun 20-Sep-20 14:01:44

Yesterday, I went to local garden centre and bought spring bulbs to plant, I also bought some blue geraniums to cheer me up. I find gardening helpful when feeling down about virus and potential further lockdown

Grandmafrench Sun 20-Sep-20 14:29:40

MawB2

Annsixty and Ayse gringrin
My DD has more than once threatened to put her “6 going on 16 “ year old daughter on eBay - but no takers!

Actually I am going to be completely superficial now - and am pinning my hopes on a luxurious new shower gel from Molton Brown.
If that doesn’t work it will have to be shoes.
Sadly a new lipstick (former go-to) is no good as you can’t wear it with a face covering.

Well, you might feel like crap sometimes, MawB but you still have a GSOH ?. Your suggestions are sound - only small point I would take issue with is the no-lipstick. Take some time before presenting your cheery self to the world and use that lipstick on the outside of the mask? Why not.....it always worked for Superman and his pants!

Just reading some of the comments on here can cheer.

For me, and if you have a garden, being outside never fails. Monty Don, who has battled illness and too much depression, always says that it saved him. Not sure whether it’s the air, the peace, the nurturing or the distraction but it really works for me. Last year I lost my dear Mum, in another country. I couldn’t breathe. DH and I went out into the garden and piled cushions and rugs onto our couches, we poured wine and lit lamps and candles and watched the Swallows for hours, then the bats, then the shooting stars for hours .....but I felt better.

pensionpat Sun 20-Sep-20 15:29:55

I’ve just heard that DDiL (52) has been taken off in ambulance. She had chest pains. Of course she has no-one with her. She is a teacher so we’re hoping it’s stress from feeling vulnerable. But her son ( 17) has lobbed a metaphorical grenade into the family. I can’t talk about that yet. I’m hoping that he isn’t feeling responsible. I’m in suspended animation. Nothing can help just yet. But it’s good to put it on here.

Sark Sun 20-Sep-20 15:39:20

Hope your DDiL is ok and you too Pensionpat
As you say nothing will help just yet but thinking of youflowers

I have just been for a long walk and collected a big bag of conkers (I love them!) and that always makes me feel better.

annsixty Sun 20-Sep-20 15:50:32

Pensionpat
Kindest vibes wending to your DDiL and to you of course.
The same good vibes go to all under stress in these troubled times.

Maggiemaybe Sun 20-Sep-20 16:00:36

janeainsworth

maggie And gov.uk hasn't even been updated with our new restrictions, which were announced on Thursday
The Northumberland County council website has detailed information - including what is actually illegal as opposed to just advisory.
I don’t think you’re in Northumberland but it will be the same throughout the NE lockdown areas.

I’ll just say that some authorities are more on the ball than others, janea. smile

Maggiemaybe Sun 20-Sep-20 16:22:56

So sorry to hear about your DDIL, pensionpat, and wishing her and your family all the best.

Grandmafrench Sun 20-Sep-20 16:33:27

Try hard to think "it's going to be o.k" pensionpat - until she's been properly assessed. Positive vibes are needed. Sending loads your way. Stay strong !

pensionpat Mon 21-Sep-20 08:35:53

Update

DDiL has been diagnosed with SCAD. A fairly rare kind of heart damage which prevents blood getting through. The treatment will be medication. It often happens to fit, healthy women, and is not predictable or preventable. So not stress-related thank goodness.

pensionpat Mon 21-Sep-20 08:36:34

P. S. Thank you to everyone for concern and good wishes.

ayse Mon 21-Sep-20 08:38:19

Page 2 Annsixty ???

b1zzle Mon 21-Sep-20 10:25:24

M0nica. I'd like to join you. Please leave some worms for me. In 2019 I lost everything that gave my life meaning. Now in 2020 Covid has taken the rest.

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Sep-20 10:27:58

b1zzlethanks

MawB2 Mon 21-Sep-20 10:31:36

Also to Pensionpat flowers - life is hard these days. sad

b1zzle Mon 21-Sep-20 10:34:43

I watched the 25th anniversary recording of 'Les Mis' last night with Alfie Boe, Michael Ball, Matt Lucas, Cameron Mackintosh, etc., etc. and it lifted me right up out of my gloom and despondency. Oh how I wish we could be allowed to sing 'in company' again.

crazygranny Mon 21-Sep-20 10:44:26

Search for Brene Brown, American professor, The Power of Vulnerability, Ted Talks.
She is very very funny but what she says is so uplifting

Mamma7 Mon 21-Sep-20 10:44:45

Light scented candles, cosy fire, a good black and white movie (Random Harvest, Now Voyager etc) box of Guerlain seashell choccies, puppy on knee, cuddly throw - roll on Autumn (and I love a hot sunny summer but needs must) ???

Mamma7 Mon 21-Sep-20 10:45:26

Ps or Gogglebox never fails to make me laugh ?

Growing0ldDisgracefully Mon 21-Sep-20 10:45:32

Sending hugs and best wishes to all those who are having upsetting circumstances to deal with just now and hoping everything turns out for the best for you all.flowers
MawB, some years ago we had a dog with kidney disease (in his case congenital), careful diet will help greatly in easing strain on your girl's kidneys so hopefully things aren't as bad as they seem.
Fannycornworth, if you're not a stitcher or knitter, then maybe a cheap hobby to explore is drawing? I'm no artist, (textile crafts are more my thing), but I've been having fun with my 'scribbles', just get yourself a pack of children's pencil crayons and a drawing pad. Have spent a few hours during lockdown and last week's holiday, just drawing wild flowers around the caravan site, scenes from photos or magazines, or anything else that takes your fancy. Just a suggestion for a diversion without a lot of expense.

Jillybird Mon 21-Sep-20 10:53:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Seajaye Mon 21-Sep-20 10:55:06

janeainsworth; that was my favourite song too. I was not in the Brownies but we sang it at assembly in infant school. Made such a lovely change from the usual hymns. I still hum it to myself when I am out for a walk in the woods. Not yet been to Canada but loved seeing your picture.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 21-Sep-20 11:02:09

b1zzle

I watched the 25th anniversary recording of 'Les Mis' last night with Alfie Boe, Michael Ball, Matt Lucas, Cameron Mackintosh, etc., etc. and it lifted me right up out of my gloom and despondency. Oh how I wish we could be allowed to sing 'in company' again.

This is my go to DVD too.

My thoughts are with those posting here with so many worries and concerns. Glad commenting here helps, flowers