Gransnet forums

Chat

Boris can't afford a nanny

(100 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 19-Sep-20 23:56:07

Poor man. Life is so hard when you have to manage on a budget.

uk.yahoo.com/news/boris-johnson-friends-believe-worried-121834955.html

Callistemon Sun 20-Sep-20 10:28:49

Even the Welsh FM earns more than BJ which doesn't seem right.
Really? I didn't know that!
Is he worth it? hmm

Senedd civil servants earn more than the UK PM too! shock

Callistemon Sun 20-Sep-20 10:32:31

getting money for old rope. It goes for all the high-earners

From overpaid executives of a minor Senedd to vastly overpaid footballers, CEOs of failing companies and those in charge of our services:

As Chief Executive of Thames, Sarah Bentley will receive an annual salary of £750k, together with other benefits. She will be able to participate in the company's existing annual bonus scheme up to a maximum of 120% of salary, and a long-term incentive plan with an annual award up to a maximum of 200% of salary.

They need a reality check.

lemongrove Sun 20-Sep-20 10:37:50

A lot of things will have to be ‘frozen’ moneywise for the next X number of years.....furlough alone has cost £36 billion.
There will have to be austerity measures again and tax hikes, it’s inevitable.

On the nanny question, a full time live in nanny does cost a great deal, but it all depends on how much Carrie earns normally ( worth more as PM’s wife!) and how much she wants to go back to work.That will pay the nanny bill and more left over.

suttonJ Sun 20-Sep-20 10:42:07

Grow up Boris. Has he a clue how most folk live? Oh, I thought not.

Singlegrannie Sun 20-Sep-20 10:42:09

I think that our Prime Minister, whoever she or he may be, should have a salary that compares more favourably with BBC presenters- the public pays for both via taxation and licence fees.

Doodledog Sun 20-Sep-20 11:04:03

Why is the fact that TV presenters and footballers earn huge sums used as a reason to pay politicians more? I don’t follow the logic.

I understand that MPs need to be salaried so that they can afford to visit Westminster in order to represent their constituents - when they weren’t if meant that only the rich could hold office- but why not pay them the average wage plus a standard class season ticket and the temporary use of accommodation near the HofC?

That way, they would understand the impact of the laws they vote for on the people they represent.

EllanVannin Sun 20-Sep-20 11:13:29

I call it obscene Callistemon. While millions now are scratching a living. Something's not right somewhere.

EllanVannin Sun 20-Sep-20 11:15:08

He's probably nowhere near living on his last £million !

Daisymae Sun 20-Sep-20 11:34:01

They make their big bucks after office. Just look at Blair. They aren't in this for the salary or pension. Even May commands £000s for public speaking. I wouldn't worry about Johnson too much.

Rosalyn69 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:37:09

Will the PM living on an inadequate salary solve the problem of those on lower incomes? Will it make them feel better?

Doodledog Sun 20-Sep-20 11:40:31

Rosalyn69

Will the PM living on an inadequate salary solve the problem of those on lower incomes? Will it make them feel better?

It might make them feel that the people in power have some idea of what it's like to live as they do.

Charleygirl5 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:46:52

I agree with Boris, it must be so difficult living rent-free, probably most meals supplied free and unable to afford a nanny. Did he want one 24/7?

How do ordinary families who work cope? He really has no idea.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 20-Sep-20 11:52:46

Does anyone actually agree that Johnson is worth even £150,000? IMO he is clearly over promoted, and it’s “tax payers money” (as they are so fond of saying of Welfare Benefits) down the drain.

MadeInYorkshire Sun 20-Sep-20 11:55:39

Poor bugger ..... I can't afford to heat my house or buy food and am going to have to sell the roof over my head, despite having cancer and being disabled - to do what then God only knows (not that he has been of any help whatsoever and never has!) I need a bungalow in an expensive area so that I have some support from my small family network - that's real life Boris!!

GagaJo Sun 20-Sep-20 11:56:45

Rosalyn69

No. But £150,000 when you pay no rent or bills is hardly inadequate.

What happened to 'We're all in this together'?

EllanVannin Sun 20-Sep-20 12:01:09

Just been listening/watching Polly Toynbee who I've always admired for as far back as I can remember. She repeated the word " Inequality " which really does hit the nail on the head of how this country is run and the way it is at present.

Nannan2 Sun 20-Sep-20 12:16:14

Maybe Boris could apply for some kind of child tax credit then? ?i wont say i feel sorry for him, he must live rent/utility bill free? Unlike rest of us mere mortals? His partner will have to return to work earlier then wont she, like other mothers struggling? Or how about an au pair like posher people used to have? & If he didnt want to support his other kids maybe he shouldnt have spread it around so much? this mans unbelievable! As for his weight loss, he could have done to lose a few pounds anyway, whilst hes telling the nation to stop eating sugary/non-healthy stuff.(remember the pics of him getting take-away?) Plus he will have slimmed a bit while he was ill.I think all the PM's we've had do age quite a bit doing this job anyway, and plus coronavirus has left him looking a bit 'ropey' - if you ask me this article has been promoted to make us all take pity on him, as a nation, instead of wanting him out as hes beggaring everything up! Wont work Boris!

Lucca Sun 20-Sep-20 12:21:59

If he was earning £375k before he should have plenty of savings!

Nannan2 Sun 20-Sep-20 12:22:46

And i dont believe that prince william& kate were personally home- schooling their kids& making their tea for them themselves in lockdown either! Just cause they were on a couple of news articles etc saying so i dont believe they, or any of the 'posh set' have had to totally give up all of their hired help during any of this!?

Alegrias Sun 20-Sep-20 12:36:49

EllanVannin

Just been listening/watching Polly Toynbee who I've always admired for as far back as I can remember. She repeated the word " Inequality " which really does hit the nail on the head of how this country is run and the way it is at present.

EV I was just thinking about Polly Toynbee! A few years ago I saw her speak about some research she had done that showed that quite a large proportion of people will always think they are "hard up", no matter how much money they earn. However much money they had, they always felt they needed more to have a good life. Maybe Johnson falls into this category?

Barmeyoldbat Sun 20-Sep-20 12:38:45

Why do they need a nanny? Surely Carrie could look after the baby, if they need a night out, get family in or hire a babysitter. Also should have thought about the cost before having a child. No sympathy whatsoever.

biba70 Sun 20-Sep-20 12:40:50

What a **pletive.

But perhaps many of you do not know the cost of a nanny- it is about £32.000 for living out, + all social benefits costs, and the cost of a decent car + all costs- so in all, about 1/3rd of his basic salary. But hey ho ... Why do they need a nanny, unless his partner intends to go back to work? In which case with a combined salary, they could easily afford a nanny.

trisher Sun 20-Sep-20 12:44:10

I'm not sure they don't have a nanny simply because they can't afford one Carrie probably doesn't want an attractive young woman hanging around given Boris's track record.

biba70 Sun 20-Sep-20 12:48:29

hmmm- yes, that makes sense.

sodapop Sun 20-Sep-20 12:49:36

They could get a ' manny' trisher smile

Sorry to hear things are so difficult for you MadeinYorkshire I hope you get some help.