Gransnet forums

Chat

I just found out... (Lighthearted thread!)

(31 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Sun 20-Sep-20 10:54:59

Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? On a recent visit to the Town Hall in a nearby market town, I was fascinated by the many Guild shields on the walls depicting the local occupations from times gone by. Along with the ones we all recognise, e.g. Carpenters, Butchers, Skinners, Tanners etc. the shield for the Guild of Cordwainers was up there. I had never heard of Cordwainers (although I'm sure people from Leicestershire and Northamptonshire will be rolling their eyes!) but they were shoemakers and made new shoes from new leather, as opposed to Cobblers, who originally only repaired shoes.

Fascinating!

What have you found out lately, that you didn't know before? (Please, no cheating partners!)

NotSpaghetti Mon 21-Sep-20 11:10:14

Of course there were also slaymakers in weaving areas.

And plenty of ~wrights such as arkwright and wainwright (which became surnames).

midgey Mon 21-Sep-20 11:27:43

Spiders taste with their feet!

LullyDully Mon 21-Sep-20 11:29:38

My GGF was a white smith. They used lead , so plumbers I suppose.

Elegran Mon 21-Sep-20 11:52:04

One of my 19th century ancestors was listed in the census as a flyman - he drove a fly for hire, a small horsedrawn vehicle. It was the Victorian equivalent of a mini-cab driver.

LullyDully Wed 23-Sep-20 16:50:02

I like the way school children were referred to as scholars on the Victorian censuses. Sound very academic.