Gransnet forums

Chat

Points of view- caps

(57 Posts)
Cabbie21 Sun 20-Sep-20 16:13:59

On Points of View today, a viewer expressed surprise and condemnation of Jay Blades wearing his cap indoors on The Repair Shop and also on a quiz programme, and someone else, I forget who, wearing his cap going into a “room full of ladies.” Shock , horror!
Does this bother you?
Do you know any men who still wear a hat and take it off indoors? Does it still matter?

Niobe Wed 23-Sep-20 11:07:13

The reason why men remove their hats in church and indoors harks back to the days when warriors wore helmets. If a man removed a helmet he was signalling that he came in peace eg to someone‘a house or to a house of God. Doffing a hat to a lady also signals that he has no violent intent.
Well that’s the way I’ve always understood it.

rockgran Wed 23-Sep-20 11:08:43

We can't talk about the pandemic all the time - sometimes we need some relief from it.
A discussion about hat wearing is an excellent topic, Cabbie21. In answer to your question - it does bother me a bit but no more so than losing many other small civilities. I'm losing the strength to be outraged by much these days. hmm

Puzzler61 Wed 23-Sep-20 11:16:14

Generally it doesn’t bother me if men wear hats indoors. If I am in conversation with one (man) I am far more interested in what he is saying than if he a hat on.

However there is one exception and it detracts from my enjoyment of his excellent music - Gregory Porter - as his choice of headgear is unusual and often is at odds with his clothing. There may be a reason for it, or it may be a gimmick.

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Sep-20 11:16:49

Never mind caps, my DH got firmly dunted in the back and told off like a naughty schoolboy for having a hand in his jacket pocket when we were looking round a church in Vilnius. There was a large group of teenagers rampaging round shouting, chewing gum and taking selfies with the holy statues at the time. Probably wearing hats as well. grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Sep-20 11:19:49

And coincidentally, we passed Gregory Porter, complete with hat, in the street shortly afterwards. I’d never heard of him at the time, but DH was in awe. Hope he didn’t go into that church.

Puzzler61 Wed 23-Sep-20 11:21:01

Gregory Porter

Puzzler61 Wed 23-Sep-20 11:22:22

Astonishing story Maggiemaybe

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Sep-20 11:23:31

If you hadn’t just mentioned him, puzzler, I’d have forgotten about that sighting!

Kate1949 Wed 23-Sep-20 11:26:50

Some years ago, our teenage nephew was asked to remove his cap in a restaurant. He was having chemotherapy at the time and had lost his hair. I feel it would have been nice if the staff had asked and not made an assumption.

12Michael Wed 23-Sep-20 11:28:53

Jay Blades is not the only TV presenter who wears them indoors for some its there trademark , look at some of the Bargain Hunt progs ,some who wear them inside as well as out on that programme , Phil serrel it is the scarfs ,
Mick

Trisha57 Wed 23-Sep-20 11:29:32

Puzzler, I believe he wears it because he had some surgery on his skin in the past.

Puzzler61 Wed 23-Sep-20 11:32:17

Ah, thanks Trisha57, a very good reason and understandable.
He has an amazing voice.

Calendargirl Wed 23-Sep-20 12:50:49

Calendargirl

Furret

This thread is no more irrelevant at the present time than ones I have seen recently about what top to wear with a certain skirt, Christmas preparations, certain tv programmes, leftover food etc etc.......

I forgot to mention the thread about dishcloths.

?

Cabbie21 Wed 23-Sep-20 13:34:12

Rockgran, thanks for the vote of confidence.
Surely any topic is allowed, pandemic notwithstanding?

My personal view is that this tradition of men taking off their hats indoors is now outmoded. There are more crucial ways of not being impolite.
As 12Michael said, it is the trademark of some people, and their are health reasons for others to keep a head covering on.

Jane10 Wed 23-Sep-20 15:07:23

Re men with hats. I always remember a Victoria Wood quote about men who confuse wearing a hat with having a personality!! Nippy!
I expect she meant those statement, attention seeking hats rather than ordinary ones.
PS nobody over the age of 10 should wear a baseball cap. In my opinion.

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 15:55:40

I have heard that wearing a hat can cause baldness.
Whether that is true or not I don't know, could be an old husbands' tale.

However, I never really thought about this but yes, perhaps it's cold in that barn and if Jay Blades has no hair he likes to keep his head warm.

Back to the cleaning cloths thread grin

Nonogran Wed 23-Sep-20 16:08:55

I can see your point Furret but actually you don't have to read the posts which frustrate you. I like GN for all its topics some of which astound me with their subject matter. However, to get back on point, I'm old school and dislike hats or baseball caps on men in restaurants when dining. It's discourteous in my opinion. Recently though an older man tipped his trilby brim and gave me a lovely smile. I almost melted!!

Furret Wed 23-Sep-20 20:51:25

Unless you have read the post you can’t know if it’s tedious or interesting! Believe it or not, most posts like that I don’t even bother to respond to anyway Nonogran. Just occasionally though something is so mind blowingly trivial that it makes me sigh.

grumppa Wed 23-Sep-20 22:10:00

I only wear a hat when weather conditions demand it, and always take it off indoors. I cannot stand young men keeping baseball caps on in other people’s living rooms.

Nearly as irritating as certain high-minded Gransnetters sneering at what some of us choose to discuss.

Hetty58 Wed 23-Sep-20 22:25:36

I know that indoor hat wearing (by males) was frowned upon fifty-odd years ago - but really, these days, it doesn't bother me at all!

Lilypops Wed 23-Sep-20 22:37:01

I actually think Jay Blades is quite easy on the eye !!!!!?
His cap adds to the attraction. ,

Grandmafrench Wed 23-Sep-20 22:43:06

Puzzler61

Generally it doesn’t bother me if men wear hats indoors. If I am in conversation with one (man) I am far more interested in what he is saying than if he a hat on.

However there is one exception and it detracts from my enjoyment of his excellent music - Gregory Porter - as his choice of headgear is unusual and often is at odds with his clothing. There may be a reason for it, or it may be a gimmick.

He has said that doesn't mind recognition when he is singing and touring, but he wants to be as anonymous as possible and be able to lead a normal life when he is not working and around where he lives. Hence the disguise/hat !

welbeck Wed 23-Sep-20 23:58:52

it's interesting as is knowledge of customs, but now quite outmoded i think to expect conformity in this.
it's just reminded me of something even more lost in the realms of time. the elderly FIL of some older friends of mine, years ago when i was young, apologised to me for sitting down at their kitchen table because he was not wearing his jacket, and he offered to go upstairs to fetch it.
i was puzzled. he obviously wasn't cold, yet he was talking as if he was sitting in front of me in his dressing gown. i had never come across this quaint custom, but then i'm not middle class.

CocoPops Thu 24-Sep-20 07:57:01

I live in N.America and guys and gals wear baseball caps in warm weather and toques when it is cold both indoors and outside. A local guy said, "Pardon me Ma'am but why do the British think it is rude to wear hats indoors?

Maggiemaybe Thu 24-Sep-20 08:02:08

He has said that doesn't mind recognition when he is singing and touring, but he wants to be as anonymous as possible and be able to lead a normal life when he is not working and around where he lives. Hence the disguise/hat !

Perhaps he should rethink that strategy, Grandmafrench. When we saw him wandering round Vilnius, what attracted DH’s attention in the first place was of course the hat!

No, we didn’t stop him or demand an autograph, btw. smile