Gransnet forums

Chat

What would you say to your younger self?

(107 Posts)
Foxglove77 Sun 20-Sep-20 20:33:34

I was given an old photo of myself aged about 8 by my Mum. Looking back at myself I looked a little shy and a little cheeky. 50 years later I would say to that little girl, dont listen to the bullies who make fun of your nose, they are just jealous of your slim figure. Dont worry about yearning for a pony, you will have your own pony from a foal for 32 years. Dont be sad wondering if you will ever have a boyfriend. You will meet your husband at college and be married for over 40 years with 2 children to be proud of and a lovely grand daughter. Dont worry about your career, your secretarial background will lead to a property law position which will serve you and your family well. Dont be sad, there are great times ahead!

GagaJo Sat 03-Oct-20 22:40:43

I would say, don't worry about the crap start. You're going to achieve things you can't even dream of right now.

Oh, and no dieting! It'll just make you fat.

Bbnan Sat 03-Oct-20 22:38:43

If you meet the 1 early go for it you can have loads of years of happiness
Things-shift with the kids but when
The grand kids come the circle is complete..new experiences everyday after 40 yrs is wonderful. Family is every thing and we are so.lucky to be young enough and enjoy them

trooper7133 Sat 03-Oct-20 22:14:08

Don’t smoke ?

mamaa Sun 27-Sep-20 12:01:55

Emigrate to New Zealand in February 2020...

Lupin Thu 24-Sep-20 15:40:32

To my overly self-conscious and shy young person I would say "No one is looking at you dear". I read that somewhere. A nanny saying it to her young charge. Now, every time I stress over my appearance I say that to myself.

Shropshirelass Thu 24-Sep-20 09:32:34

I would say 'Love yourself for who you are, be strong and don't let comments hurt you nor let people tell you what to do. Be your own person, think things through and don't be impulsive!'

I have had some ups and downs through life but am now stronger for it. Some of my downs I could have gone without but I suppose it made me the person I am today.

Seajaye Wed 23-Sep-20 06:53:45

I'm another one for not marrying too young, and being more careful in your eventual choice. If you make a mistake in life, remember that you don't have to live with mistakes forever, even if it seems impossible to climb out of the hole at the time there will be a way if you take responsibility for finding the solution. Look forwards not backwards. Be kind and generous to others but don't enable others to take advantage of you.

Kim19 Tue 22-Sep-20 18:23:22

Apart from my husband dying prematurely, I wouldn't change a single thing. I feel truly blessed.

DanniRae Tue 22-Sep-20 17:52:05

As has already been said "Don't marry the first person who asks in case no one else comes along." hmm

narrowboatnan Tue 22-Sep-20 15:18:42

Teetime

I would say leave home as soon as possible and dont look back.

Ditto, Teetime

Same for your second comment too. I, too, married to get out of living with my parents.

TheFrugalPiggy Tue 22-Sep-20 14:36:02

Paddyanne, my life reminds me of Ready, Steady, Cook. I was given a mishmash of circumstances and have turned it into something reasonably good but I wouldn't cook it again.

paddyanne Tue 22-Sep-20 14:26:55

Its quite sad so many of you appear to be disatisfied with how your lives played out .Do you think underlying disatisfaction affected your lives and relationships?

Newatthis Tue 22-Sep-20 13:52:44

I would say 'don't party so much' although it was so much fun! I think though it didn't do my long term health any good! I would also say 'leave home and see the world' even though the prospect might be daunting. I've since meade up for that and lived, worked and visited numerous countries so have been very lucky.It's so easy to stay living at home with your parents until you marry which is what I did. I've never lived alone and sometimes wish I would have done that 'living in a flat with my freinds' bit.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 22-Sep-20 12:54:15

I wouldn' t have listened to the advice I was given when I was young, or perhaps have listened but not seen any way to implement it.

Looking back, I wish I had found the courage to tell me mother that I was grown up and could make my own decisions from the time when I was eighteen.

The way I had been brought up it was quite unthinkable to do so, and how I evenied all the young people who could and did do so.

Poppyred Tue 22-Sep-20 10:04:02

Think hard about what you want to do when you grow up. You will spend more time working than being at home so choose carefully.

I wouldn’t have listened back then and my parents had other ideas anyway.

Lucca Tue 22-Sep-20 09:42:53

Don’t worry about washing dishcloths ?

GrannyLaine Tue 22-Sep-20 08:52:15

................... just this.

Bobdoesit Tue 22-Sep-20 08:24:26

Be financially independent

travelsafar Tue 22-Sep-20 06:34:57

I agree with many o here about not marrying at a young age...19 for me. Work hard at school and go to Uni then travel, there is a big world out there to explore. Work hard and buy your own property and keep in in your name only.

V3ra Tue 22-Sep-20 00:23:03

NannyC1

I would say. Listen you are not ugly or stupid like your mum and dad told you for years. It's not you it's them.You will leave it behind as you travel the world. Your are beautiful and clever. You are unique. You are kind. Your daughter will adore you and so will your granddaughter.

Sounds like you found your happy ever after, how lovely ?

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Mon 21-Sep-20 22:20:55

Stick to your original dreams of travelling and not having children.

LucyLocket55 Mon 21-Sep-20 19:25:32

You are loveable
You will have friends
You will find someone to love you
You will come to terms with your parents indifference to you
Life will be great

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 21-Sep-20 18:50:00

Yes, you will have a bra! Don’t go on a motorcycle. Don’t turn down the opportunity to attend the Grammar School Six Form. Don’t bottle out of Teacher Training.

Jess20 Mon 21-Sep-20 18:40:54

I'd say....don't speak your mind so much, girl, keep your thoughts private, your head down - you'll do better at work if you're less honest and more manipulative.

mrsgreenfingers56 Mon 21-Sep-20 18:12:49

Don't believe everything everyone tells you. Open your eyes a bit to the big bad world.