Gransnet forums

Chat

Who would you most liked to have seen but never did?

(148 Posts)
Dinahmo Tue 22-Sep-20 14:24:59

The singer I would most liked to have seen is Leonard Cohen. I wasn't really into his music until the recording of his 2008 concert in London was shown on BBC 2. It was late at night and I'd fallen asleep in front of the tv. I was woken by the most amazing sounds coming from the screen. I became a fan and have a dvd of that concert.

A few years ago he was live in Paris but the ticket prices started at 180 euros and I just couldn't afford 2 tickets plus hotel bills at that time.

I'd also like to see Tom Waits but he tours so rarely and tickets sell out immediately.

Lastly the Travelling Wilburys.

There's something about older musicians - they are so laid back and often produce great music.

Rosiebee Sun 27-Sep-20 23:17:35

paddyanne the Red Hot Chilli Pipers played at my cousin's wedding in Edinburgh. I had never heard of RHC Peppers so didn't get the joke. Cousin had theme of chilli peppers for wedding cake. Band was totally brilliant. Sorry I have gone astray. Would love to have seen Springsteen or Carol King, live. Her Tapestry concert in Hyde Park was amazing.

welbeck Sat 26-Sep-20 20:34:24

wow ! that must have been something too. lucky you.

NanKate Sat 26-Sep-20 20:32:27

I saw Charles Laughton as Bottom in Stratford in the early 60s. Still remember it to this day.

welbeck Sat 26-Sep-20 02:13:40

i would have liked to have seen Ralph Richardson's Bottom; everyone who did spoke most highly of it.

paddyanne Fri 25-Sep-20 22:41:17

What about the Chilli PIPERS gagajo we saw them with a Croatian friend who thought he was going to see the Peppers,in a Park in the rain in the west of Scotland.It was a fab gig and our friend said he was delighted it was the Pipers as he'd never heard of them .Really good fun and very talented players

GagaJo Fri 25-Sep-20 22:10:31

But the band I saw and LOVED were the Foo Fighters. They were amazing. I went to see the Chili Peppers and they were a disappointing let down.

GagaJo Fri 25-Sep-20 22:09:15

The Stones. By a very long way. I almost got to see them in the 80s, but as always, I was frugal and refused the huge ticket price.

I'd like to see Patrick Stewart and Helen Mirren doing Shakespeare.

returnofflyinghandbag Fri 25-Sep-20 17:24:42

One Directionblush
When they were formed on the XFactor I rolled my eyes and said they would be a one hit wonder, awhile later they released What Makes You Beautiful and it was in the top 40 (something I listen to habitually), and I realised that they had great voices.
There was 2 babies born in the family in the September and December of 2011 (when it was released), and it was on constantly, I associate that song with those babies (who are now 8 and 9?) and I have listened to them ever since, and I do love them (I probably will be ridiculed for this but so be it). X

HappyBumbleBee Fri 25-Sep-20 10:30:07

Queen live at Wembley in 1988. I have it on dvd and have watched it so many times, I've always wished for a time machine so I could go back and be there!!!

Jaxjacky Fri 25-Sep-20 10:24:50

I’d like to have seen U2 in their earlier days, but have seen: Queen, Frank Zappa, Gary Numan, The Tubes, Texas, AC/DC, Euryhmics twice, went to Freddy Mercury tribute, Netaid, Monsters of Rock twice and IoW festival twice when it restarted. I wasn’t allowed to go to the original as I was too young ?

lemsip Fri 25-Sep-20 10:07:04

I wish I had of visited my father's parents, my grandma and grandad after my parents split up when I was 12. as a child it was difficult. as an adult I think of my lovely little grandma who always produced a tin of fairy cakes on our visits.

wendyann23 Fri 25-Sep-20 07:10:33

Queen and. Bruce Springsteen

annep1 Thu 24-Sep-20 16:37:04

I saw Dylan in Dublin and was so disappointed. He played mostly rock and we didn't recognise one song. He wore a baseball cap and we couldn't even see his face. Waste of money and time and effort to get there.

sandye Thu 24-Sep-20 15:35:25

I was lucky enough to see Leonard Cohen at Manchester, every bit as good as I expected. Not so Bob Dylan, he came on went form one song to the next with no break. Didn't introduce the band then went off. Waste of money. I would like to have seen The Corrs.

annep1 Thu 24-Sep-20 15:10:55

It is Paddyanne blush

paddyanne Thu 24-Sep-20 15:03:57

I thought it was about musicians/singers.following on from the worst concert thread

annep1 Thu 24-Sep-20 13:23:04

Someone commented that we are all choosing singers etc.

If I was to choose someone else it would definitely be Jesus.

travelsafar Thu 24-Sep-20 12:35:00

I would have loved to see my birth father once more. My parents divorced when i was 11 and i never saw him again. I do wonder if this has something to do with my low self esteem especially where males are concerned. I had a step father a few years later, he was nice but we were never really close, so i never knew what it was like to have a dad who cuddled me or made me feel special.

tickingbird Thu 24-Sep-20 11:42:13

Yes Dinahmo they were all screaming and fainting. There were two shows and we had tickets for the first one. When we left ticket touts were selling tickets for the second show and we either bought two very cheaply or they let us have them. Either way we went back in! Only 16 I think possibly 17. What fun we had.

bridie54 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:18:24

Everyone has gone for bands/singers. I don’t know individual names but I would love to have seen the famous riders of The Spanish Riding School in VIenna and the stunning Lipitzanners. Best singer I saw was Paul Simon in his last concert In Glasgow. I would love to have seen Simon and Garfunkel perform together.

lilydily9 Wed 23-Sep-20 19:25:09

Saw most of the top groups of the 60's but, for me, it would have to be Shirley Bassey. Loved her since I was 10 years old.

JadeOlivia Wed 23-Sep-20 19:08:14

Try to see the Rabeats . next best thing to the Beatles !

Tibbs Wed 23-Sep-20 18:52:30

Desmond Dekker. He wasn’t due to come on stage until 10.30 & I had to be home by 11.00, so I couldn’t stay. Still haven’t forgiven my parents!

Aepgirl Wed 23-Sep-20 18:26:17

Definitely the Beatles - just couldn’t afford a ticket.

Ngaio1 Wed 23-Sep-20 17:35:33

Arthur Ashe. Desert Orchid. Red Rum.