Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(62 Posts)
12Michael Thu 24-Sep-20 06:14:19

Good Morning Everyone,
its dark, dull and wet here in Brackley this morning.
This will not put me off going to Bicester via Buckingham, and then returning direct.
Up to March I had returned via Buckingham , but the service back also picks up secondary school children ,and as its a small bus I fear the worst .
I had some good news yesterday as to flu jab, my surgery are visiting the luxation early next week to give residents from that surgery the jab.
Mick

kittylester Thu 24-Sep-20 21:04:20

We also live very close to Bradgate Park though we go to Beacon Hill more often.

GB2020 Thu 24-Sep-20 19:16:33

I live near Bradgate Park and go there often.

HAZBEEN Thu 24-Sep-20 11:24:45

Good morning all! We have just got back from Staines and the visit to the b ank so thats finally done. I was going to go yesterday but it was market day and to be honest I couldn't face the crowds even though I normally like a good market! Today it was very quiet so in and out in no time.
Not a lot planned for the rest of the day. I think I might do a bit of ironing or then again maybe not!
Stay safe everyone.

Grandmafrench Thu 24-Sep-20 11:19:17

Scentia special good wishes....I overlooked saying that. It’s clear you enjoyed your 2nd job and must have been such an asset, don’t forget that your abilities, energy and enthusiasm are going to be a great attraction for the next employer. As they say, just find what you need and go for it. x

Nortsat Thu 24-Sep-20 11:08:27

Good morning Mick and the GM team from a currently sunny east London.

All the bottling, pickling and chutney-ing going on here could keep an Autumn Fayre going. In my kitchen cupboards, I have pickle from Branson’s, fruit conserve from Bonne Maman and onion relish from Waitrose... I am definitely not feeling like a ‘total woman’ this morning.
Scentia, along with others, my sympathies at your handing in of your notice.
Kitty, I agree, it’s important to keep those wine stocks topped up. You never know ...
Gosh Mellow, it’s a good job the queen bee ? came out from under your cupboards.
Marydoll surely you know by now that you’re not to be trusted in the vicinity of prickly bushes ...

Thinking of our missing posters and gilly. ? to those facing challenges today. Have a pleasant day, all. ?

Georgesgran Thu 24-Sep-20 10:52:21

Good morning from Durham. Grey and overcast but at least it’s dry but rain expected soon.
DH is on a mission - gone off to pick litter at the mouth of our cul-de-sac! (He has the proper gear). We have a MakyDees a couple of miles away and our little entrance seems to be a meeting spot for the litterbugs!
Still - with his medical condition and lockdown, it gives him something to do other than watch tv.

Hope everyone has the best day today. X

EllanVannin Thu 24-Sep-20 10:50:50

Good Morning All x
Woke up to rain and damp but I had to move myself and get ready for the needles so didn't take much notice of the weather, one INR and t'other the 'flu one. Wrist temperature ,which is more accurate than forehead this time, on entrance to the surgery.
Lovely and sunny now at 10am though.

Well what a pig's ear the jab turned out to be---most unusual for the nurse who's been doing it for years. Of course she blamed me grin. Too tense I was with a muscle like Joe Louis ! Quite a bit of blood into the process so she said " it would hurt ". I bet it will ! It's burning now. Ah well.

Glad to say the INR was within range so next visit is 3rd of December. Hope I don't feel like Gelisajams in the morning.

You'll be missed at your job Scentia, it's they who'll be sorry !
As for Marydoll vanishing in the brambles and DH not noticing conjured up all sorts of comical thoughts, sorry Mary but I laughed again. My old dad would have asked you what you were doing down there grin Men !

I must phone D today to see how she's doing. Her work is very busy at the moment ( border control ) between NI and here with the freight side of things more than foot passengers. Although she'd been on furlough for 5 months her place of work has remained in operation and has been non-stop really. Ready for Brexit.
GS too has been working right through being in the food industry. Both fortunate to have jobs in this climate.

I feel for Susan being left to see to her mother when others in the family could help out. It's not fair to put the burden on to one person.
Up to now I haven't ever bothered any family member and sincerely hope I'll never need to do, although I know there are many in the family who'd " jump to it " if I did need anything which is always good to know. How lucky I am eh ?

I should really start on clearing a cupboard out. It's one of those cubby-hole cupboards where everything is bunged in and you shut the door quick in case the mountain of " stuff " piled on the upper shelf starts moving downwards grin any more will start an avalanche and sound like an earthquake as it hits the door. I've forgotten what's in there.

My linen cupboard is the same. The man upstairs has offered to paint it for me and put new shelving in but I've told him it'll take me a week to sort out all the linen. Why do I need so much ? I've already off-loaded a goodly amount to the family but am still left with more than enough.

Anyway, I've got to make a start sometime rather than " leave it all behind " for someone else.

Thinking of Gillybob at this time and what she must be going through xx There's no let-up.
Also others who are finding things tough going. It does take nerves of steel to muddle through things as they are.

Stay safe and well everyone and enjoy your day in the best way you can.xx

Grandmafrench Thu 24-Sep-20 10:44:55

Good Morning everyone, lovely warm S of ?? day here.
We did enjoy our Kayaking and always have a laugh. I can understand the zigzagging, Sark - never mind paddling, you should see me row. I know how to do it, but one arm is dominant and so whatever I do, I row in a circle.?. Once, in Yarmouth harbour IOW., I circled around moored boats to such an extent whilst trying to row to the steps from our own boat, that the kids lay down under a beach towel cos they couldn’t take the embarrassment (apparently,?)

Our Kayak is propelled - at speed - by our feet and, fortunately for DH, steered by a little push-me-pull-you lever! So lots of interested stares, but no embarrassment!

Mary you are the limit! I trust the photo of the offending bush will be appearing in the Police line-up later?

Years ago, when I had a much-loved flock of woolly ? wardrobes, this time of year would find me searching for brambles in our hedges. One afternoon, Florence, the team leader, decided to find out if I was collecting anything interesting and bobbed up onto her back legs just like they did to snatch holly from the trees. This time though, she rested both front hooves on my shoulders. Luckily for her, I stayed upright. What a liberty!

Sorry that your DB is having a hard time health wise, Beauregard. Fingers crossed for a good recovery. Gelisa please do listen to your body and let it recover before you think about anything strenuous.

Susan. Try interrupt occasionally by being Sybil Fawlty! Remember? Just the odd “really?” and “oooh, I know... me too.... it’s awful”. Your Mum’s taken the awful life changes we’re suffering quite personally. You can’t change it, therefore it must be your fault. So, make sympathetic noises whilst doing something else.you’re not going to stop her breaking all the rules, so you have to stop worrying - you can only do your best. Sounds harsh but why take the responsibility for something you haven’t done....hope she’ll feel more kindly disposed next conversation. ?

Pants, you’re so right. Whilst everyone runs around in circles, you can go and buy your vaccine and feel a lot safer.
Now I’m really laughing as my tablet just printed “pants, you’re so tight!”

Have a good, safe day, doing something to cheer. Get well soon, all those with pain or with struggles.
To the rest, onwards and upwards.
To you all, hugs.
??????????

Nellie54 Thu 24-Sep-20 10:04:46

Beautiful sunny calm morning in Cheshire.

Auntieflo Thu 24-Sep-20 09:50:24

Good morning Mick, Annie and all. It was very wet here yesterday, but the garden does look so much happier for it. My attempts at watering must have been pathetic.
I met a friend for coffee yesterday morning, and a couple of hours just flew by.
The car is going in for it's first service today. Unbelievable that we have had it a year already.
Sorry to hear about your job Scentia, as you sounded as though you enjoyed it so.
Best wishes to Beauregard's brother for his scan.
Marydoll, whatever would we do without your escapades. Keep on, keeping on. I think all the brambles have long gone from here, but I could have done with some as my friend gave me a large bag of beautiful apples from her garden.
Today I will finish my knitting, just the neckline to do now.
Gillybob love and hugs to you.
Have a good day one and all.

Pantglas2 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:44:57

I’m not young at all Pittcity!

Pushing 65 and apparently our surgery isn’t doing 50-65 until all the overs and needy have had theirs which could be November!

For the sake of £8 I’ll have it done sooner and feel safe!

All you blackberry scrumpers - I’ll swap a jar of ? curd for a pound of fruit??

Susan56 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:36:37

Thank you Kalu.x

Greyduster Thu 24-Sep-20 09:31:31

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Another late one for me. I woke up a 4.45 and could get off again for ages. Strange dreams. Maple has our SY weather spot on. Going to be a wet one. Some shopping today, and I’m going to buy some bulbs to replant my pots. DH has a flare up of his eye condition so I will be duty driver when we go out☹️. Have the best day you can folks and stay safe.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:30:47

Morning all from a sunny South Notts, where we had rain earlier. I may get out and do a little digging in the front border if it stays dry. I have two narrow strips on each side of the car parking space which I changed from grass to flower beds a few years back. It has lavender, box, 'snow in summer' and a few low growing shade lovers as it faces north. Much nicer to look at than plain grass.

Then not much else is planned. Hope today is kind to everyone, especially those with worries or illness.

Gelisajams Thu 24-Sep-20 09:29:21

Good morning from a damp Morecambe Bay. Feeling story for myself as I have had a bad reaction to my flu jab. Didn’t move out of the chair yesterday and today I won’t be doing much as I still feel drained and achy. I’ve had the jab for years as I’m asthmatic but have never anything untoward other than a bit of a sore arm. Apologies for laughing Marydoll. But the vision of you in the bramble bushes was hilarious! Do take care in future. Thinking of all with difficulties, and glad EV didn’t leave us. Now we just need Gilly and others back. Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Marydoll Thu 24-Sep-20 09:18:12

Brook, don't worry, I was laughing too! DH was horrified!!

gma Thu 24-Sep-20 09:13:39

Got up at 8.00am to wet and dull morning! Made coffee and had shower and now the sky is blue and sun shining! Aghhhh that’s better! Going to do some work in garden now the ground is softer. Bulbs to plant and expired annuals to remove! Up and at it!!

brook2704 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:07:48

Ooops marydoll I do hope you’ve recovered from your fall in the bushes ... it did make me laugh a little and then I felt bad - sorry!
Sounds like you’re having a lovely holiday grannyowl we spent a lovely holiday in that area a few years ago, lots to see and do.
Hope all goes well with your eye appt Susan56
Happy 7th Birthday to your DGS sar - my eldest grandson is going to be 7 in a couple of weeks too, they grow up so fast

Anniebach Thu 24-Sep-20 09:00:24

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

MawB2 Thu 24-Sep-20 08:58:37

The advantages of logging on late- a lovely sunny Autumn morning!
Good morning to you all - I like the term God’s Morningers!
Disturbed night - I had been watching the Sandi Toksvig programme about adult reading and it must have stirred up memories of 44 years ago when I was an Adult Literacy volunteer teacher in London. My pupil was a very sweet but intense bus driver who only managed to do his job by memorising the entire bus routes - much harder IMO than reading the road signs. When asked how he had passed the driving test etc for London Transport, he shamefacedly admitted he had got a friend to stand in for him. Around that time I had DD2 and had to give up - I do hope he made it, he had had several unsuccessful attempts before me. Anyway - strange dreams last night.
Thinking of those who are ill, worried or down for any reason and wishing you some ☀️☀️today.

Mapleleaf Thu 24-Sep-20 08:52:46

Good morning from a very damp, grey and chilly South Yorkshire. I haven't read all the posts yet, and will go back to them in a bit, but wanted to post before my Pilates session.

I had a busy afternoon yesterday chopping up loads of tomatoes to make another batch of chutney. I now have six jars stored in the fridge and still have some tomatoes to pick (mostly green ones) so will probably collect those at the weekend and make a final, smaller batch. I really enjoyed all the chopping and prep, listening to another audio cd of The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel. It's unabridged so there are 30 discs and I've just listened to the 4th, so a bit of a way to go yet! It's very good, and the hour or so the disc runs soon passes.

I hope you all have the best day you can, and send ?to all who are unable to post at the moment, those feeling unwell and those feeling sad or worried.

Take care everyone.

GrannyOwl5 Thu 24-Sep-20 08:48:05

Good morning everyone from North Yorkshire on day five of our holiday. I did see the sun briefly when I peered out the window first thing, but it has now disappeared. Rained all day yesterday, but we did manage a trip out to Ilkley so the day wasn’t wasted.
Miss-read your post Marydoll as the NHS doing a mass immunisation in huge veins grin!
Plan on going to Ripon today. There’s quite a bit to see and do; hopefully if the weather cooperates we shall have a walk along the canal and around the cathedral.
Hope everyone has a good Thursday. One day at a time.

Nannytopsy Thu 24-Sep-20 08:46:52

Update - our bit of Suffolk now has blue skies! I will plant my border after all. Much more fun than ironing ?

travelsafar Thu 24-Sep-20 08:45:33

Promising myself a walk tis morning before i do anything else. Just seen some blue patches of sky amid the grey ones so hoping i will be able to get out before it rains again. wondering if i need my winter coat n as it felt chilly when i went out to feed the birds a bit earlier. I also want to get the rest of the pansies and wallflowers in the garden.I did 3/4's yesterday after a supermarket shop then it started to rain on me, so just a small area to finish the job off.
I intend to carry on with some knitting later this afternoon.
Have a good day everyone.

Grandmabatty Thu 24-Sep-20 08:43:52

Good morning All. Beautiful blue skies in Polmont and a nip in the air. Goodness, I'm impressed with all the industry planned for today and that happened yesterday! I had my first haircut for eight months yesterday. My hairdresser is a lovely man and very funny so it was a tonic. The assistant who washed my hair is his younger son, who I taught. It's a weird sensation to have a scalp massage by a boy you taught! He was very chatty though and it was nice to hear his news. I picked up clothes from M&S yesterday which fit, so no returns. Today will be very quiet. Pottering in the house and garden then cross stitch this afternoon. I'm sorry you've had to give up your job Scentia as you seemed to get a lot out of it. Have a good day all.