Gransnet forums

Chat

Mobile phones, not mobile?

(12 Posts)
GagaJo Fri 25-Sep-20 22:26:25

I got out of the habit of having a mobile phone, because I refused to give in and buy a new one (mean) while the old clunky thing I had was still functioning for calls. When that broke and I got a posh phone, I constantly forgot to take it out with me. I'm a bit better now but it does mean I fall victim to being one of the zombies staring at a screen at times, while out.

PamelaJ1 Fri 25-Sep-20 17:08:31

Monica like you my mobile doesn’t work at home and I work from home too so I depend on my land line.

I do try to remember my phone but half the time it isn’t charged.
I suppose that it could be a lifesaver but I’ve managed fro nearly 70 years without depending on it.
I do take the point though and now I’ve loaded the track and trace I will try harder. I should have a big sign on the door - Mask + Phone.

Pittcity Fri 25-Sep-20 15:28:50

Monica why don't you use the voice function? That saves you having to type anything.

MerylStreep Fri 25-Sep-20 15:23:07

I'm amazed how many people dont have 'ice' numbers ( it stands for in case of emergency) on their phones.

kittylester Fri 25-Sep-20 15:09:48

We have poor mobile reception at home too but I use my mobile mostly for WhatsApp so I am attached to mine all the time.

Jaxjacky Fri 25-Sep-20 15:03:41

MiniMoon have you heard of the app what3words? Sophisticated location finder, particularly useful for those who get lost or injured when out and about.

MiniMoon Fri 25-Sep-20 14:27:03

I don't often use my mobile phone, but I do take it everywhere. I have the location services turned on as you never know what might happen when you're out.
When we came out of lockdown DH and I went to a local garden centre. We went for a cup of tea, and needed a smartphone to place our order. I had to scan a qr code on the table and order what we wanted. I thought it was a really good way to social distance the diners and the staff. I also could have paid with my phone, but I don't have Google pay as yet.

If I didn't have a phone the waitress would have given me a paper menu.

M0nica Fri 25-Sep-20 13:51:18

As we have poor mobile reception at home, although it has improved a bit recently, when at home we use the land line. So I put my phone down. It could be in the car, my handbag, on my desk and when I go out I just take my bag and run.

It is not that I do not want to have it with me all the time but I forget to check - and I also forget to charge it, so find I have it with me, but unusable because it isn't charged. I have tried training myself to good habits, I am usually very good at that.

I think the problem is I have a love hate relationship with it. I am mildly dyspraxic and following a not entirely successful carpal tunnel operation the tips of my fingers are all numb. This makes both using those fiddly little touch keyboards and using a stylus equally difficult. I also hate that tiny screen. I just find that using a mobile phone plays to the worst part of all my problems with numbness and dyspraxia.

If I could find a kindle sized phone with a kindle sized screen, I would probably take it everywhere.

BlueSky Fri 25-Sep-20 10:46:28

I don’t leave home without it and it’s on my bedside cabinet at night on night mode.

25Avalon Fri 25-Sep-20 10:15:05

I never wanted a mobile but got one 20 years ago when I realised how essential it was when travelling with my disabled son.

Now 1 take it everywhere in case I have a breakdown in the car and even or especially in our large garden where I’ve had a couple of falls in the past. I’d hate to be lying in pain and cold in some far flung corner of it!

Lucca Fri 25-Sep-20 10:11:42

Agree. Also it seems sensible to always have access to your phone in case of difficulties, emergencies etc.
It doesn’t mean you have to be on it the whole time does it !

Jaxjacky Fri 25-Sep-20 10:08:00

I noticed, on another thread, quite a few people don’t have their phones with them all the time and was wondering why? Particular when out of the home, I feel bereft without mine! (No house phone)