Gransnet forums

Chat

School mottos?

(187 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 25-Sep-20 21:49:11

Anyone remember their school motto? Ours was 'Gentleness and Justice'. Not sure I lived up to that.

Alishka Mon 28-Sep-20 09:47:27

"unfortunately it didn't improve over the subsequent three versesgringringrin

Bluecat Mon 28-Sep-20 13:38:01

We didn't have a motto. However, the other high school on the campus had "Strive to succeed." I always thought that it sounded grim.

annsixty Mon 28-Sep-20 14:16:09

Our school hymn was “He who would valiant be” and the motto was taken from that “Follow the Master”
About 3 years ago I bought a book about The History of the school from its inception to its very sad demise in the 70’S.
It was also entitled Follow the Master.

Borrheid55 Mon 28-Sep-20 15:41:00

That’s St John’s! I went there before going to St Mags! X

Fishpieplease Mon 28-Sep-20 17:49:42

Luce Magistra....with the light as my teacher. Not that I ever knew what it meant,and I was there for 11 years,

Rufus2 Tue 29-Sep-20 13:41:34

Aim High and I've always tried to
homefarm Now there's a coincidence!
My personal motto is "conlineo"! I also try to! shock
ooRoo

annodomini Tue 29-Sep-20 13:48:57

The school in which I taught in Kenya had the motto 'Walk in the Light'. I think there is a hymn with this line. We called the school magazine 'Reflections'.

pollyperkins Tue 29-Sep-20 14:10:05

Grandetante my school motto was Ora et labora too - it was always pointed out to us that prayer came before work! I wonder if it was the same girls boarding school in Sussex?
Afterwards I went to an ordinary girl’s state grammar school where the motto was ‘I press toward the mark’ which was a bit obscure to us (from the Bible -St Paul I think?) - we weren’t sure what mark we were supposed to be pressing to!

Esspee Tue 29-Sep-20 14:24:15

Our’s was Alere Flammam. Keep the flame burning.

craftynan Sun 11-Oct-20 15:16:53

Another one with the motto Fortite, Fidelite, Felicite - Bravely, Faithfully and Cheerfully. School song was “Land of our birth we pledge to thee” although I believe it’s been changed now. It was a girls grammar school, state school, and has escaped becoming comprehensive.

Galen Sun 11-Oct-20 17:18:48

Inservi Deo et laetare