Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(71 Posts)
12Michael Sat 26-Sep-20 06:21:18

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but looks dry outside this morning here in Brackley , but expecting to have a chill wind when out later.
Today , bus journeys to Buckingham and Bicester via Buckingham .
Depends on whether the cafe in Buckingham are doing pork stuffing baps , in which case if they are comeback to Brackley, if no luck will return via Buckingham .
The past few days i have experienced problems with TV signal and picture on my BT box .
Earlier in the week on normal TV screen picture break up on it, so retuned ,and it cleared , but this also effected my BT box as to channels ,I was getting a 4.3 screen instead of 16.9 screen ,anyway in this case did a total Factory reset ,after awhile and installation the box back to normal .
Take Care ,
Mick

LauraNorder Sat 26-Sep-20 12:44:04

What a lovely kind thread, so all caring, all welcoming, all encompassing.
You've been so kind in welcoming me that I have to 'fess up'. I have been around for a while as Peardrop50, never early enough to be on page one, but occasionally later and not for some time.
I changed my name to one that is more fitting as many of you sussed, well done Grammaretto and not rude at all.
Anyway now you know. Onwards and upwards.

Harris27 Sat 26-Sep-20 11:59:57

Well it’s a very windy but cool day in the NE. On local lockdown so turning cupboards out and thinking of a Christmas when we may all be together again( just musing with the months) going to put summer tops away and get my tunic jumpers back out quite therapeutic really. Had busy week at work and have thought about dropping some hours but know the money would be a miss. Never mind have a good Saturday all.

Marydoll Sat 26-Sep-20 11:54:55

Bellasnana, I'm glad to see you posting again, but so sorry to hear about your dear friend. ?

dragonfly46 Sat 26-Sep-20 11:52:53

Bellasnana flowers

CherryCezzy Sat 26-Sep-20 11:48:22

A good late morning to you all from sunny Gower.

Happy Birthday to your mum dragonfly ?. A very special milestone ?. Something for you to treasure, even if you mum is too fragile to appreciate it.
It's wonderful to have you back posting with us. x

Welcome LauraNorder ?

? for all our absent friends and anyone else who needs them.

Be kind to yourselves everyone ❤️

Mapleleaf Sat 26-Sep-20 10:33:14

Good morning from a bright but cold and windy South Yorkshire. The heating came on and is still on at the moment.

So nice to see you posting again Dragonfly and congratulations to your Mum. As others have said, reaching 100 is an achievement. ?

Welcome Lauranorder.

I've skimmed through the posts, so will go back and read through properly now, but wanted to post before it got much later.

I hope today brings cheer to us all. Take care.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 26-Sep-20 10:32:01

Good Morning all from windy Harrogate, hoping for a trip to Ripon this morning then after lunch a visit from DD with GS. Trying to get everything done before our next Lockdown. Had a visit to the dentist yesterday which was uneventful (but anything out of the house these days is an event). We waited for the roofer to come, but couldn't decide whether he meant before 12 noon or midnight - he came this morning!! I got a bus back from the dentist and was surprised to find quite a lot of people on the bus (and alarmed). Won't do that again for a while.

Hope all are well and coping with the present circumstances

EllanVannin Sat 26-Sep-20 10:29:55

Bellasnana.x

Taichinan Sat 26-Sep-20 10:22:32

Good morning from the Angus coast where the north wind doth still blow. I live in a house if two halves and at the moment I have migrated to the south side where I'm sitting in the sun and sheltered from the wind (indoors I hasten to add - I'd need to borrow Kalu's fur coat and nickers, and add a fur hat to sit outside!). Welcome Laura. I too had wondered, and got it right! Welcome back Dragonfly and Bellasnana. What a lovely photo of you and your Mum, Dragonfly. That's one to treasure for ever. I'm glad you sorted out the glitch with your TV Mick. That's my answer to anything technical - switch it off, then back to square one. I remember DS1 once not only switched my phone off but went the whole hog and removed the sim card, looked at it, then replaced it and re-booted. It must have been the way he looked at the sim card because it worked! Enjoy your cycling - and that delicious bap. There were lots of other comments I intended to make, but my kitchen beckons now. I'm going to give it a good "looking at" (a la DS1). Where does it keep its sim card I wonder? ??. Have a lovely day everyone and caring thoughts to all with pain and sickness. ???

HAZBEEN Sat 26-Sep-20 10:17:11

Good morning all!
Today I have to go for my very first Flu jab! I am under the age (I am 64) but was told I had to have it because of the ET and chemo. It seems daft but up till now I didn't qualify as my health conditions weren't the "right" ones but OH did even though he's not yet 60 as he is deemed my carer.
Anyhow I will take the opportunity for a nosey down the high street and maybe a look in the charity shops!
Not a lot else planned, I may stir myself to a little baking as I managed to stock up on choc chips, flour and dried fruit (don't know how they found their way onto the delivery!)
Stay safe everyone.

Nannytopsy Sat 26-Sep-20 10:11:35

Good morning everyone. I was up early, honestly. I have washed my hair, arranged to go back to the hairdresser this afternoon for someone to try and put it right and had a visit from a man about a base for the new greenhouse. Then we put all yesterday’s ironing away, emptied and reloaded the dishwasher and had breakfast.
I am not sure what to do with the rest of the day! There is rugby on TV this afternoon ...
It is grey with a cold wind in our bit of Suffolk - not nice at all.
We are off to Conwy for a few days next week - just our luck that the weather has turned and the Covid numbers are on the rise.
Lovely to see Dragonfly back and welcome to LauraNorder.
SiL and his team saddened by the loss of their colleague at Croydon. As Cressida Dick said, the Met is a family.

Grandmabatty Sat 26-Sep-20 10:02:54

Good morning All from a cold and cloudy Polmont. It seems most of us have lost any warmth, apart from Urmston who soldiers on. ? Grandmafrench I'm sure the Arctic blast you're experiencing is a mere blip and normal weather will return. Unfortunately that's unlikely for me as once it has changed that's usually it til next year. But you never can tell. There are lots of lovely posts this morning to cheer us up. I have nothing exciting on. I've been shopping already, tidied up and have changed bedding. I love getting into a fresh bed if you see what I mean ?. Housework beckons and a visit from dd and dgs later I think. I have cross stitch to do, knitting to do and a painting to finish. Enjoy your Saturday.

Doodle Sat 26-Sep-20 10:02:02

dragonfly we’ve missed you. How lovely to see you back. Smashing photo of you and mum ?

Urmstongran Sat 26-Sep-20 10:00:39

Welcome back you you too Bellasnanna! ?

Nortsat Sat 26-Sep-20 09:57:17

Good morning Mick and the GM team from a currently sunny east London.

Lovely to see Dragonfly and what a lovely photograph.
Welcome LauraN.
Mellow have a super day with the 4 year old.
Beauregarde your (Bargain) scallops and smoked bacon starter sounds delicious. Once when we were staying in an hotel in Brighton, I had a starter of scallops with black pudding and cauliflower purée. I know it sounds hideous (that’s what my partner said ...) but it was delicious and it was the only black pudding I have ever eaten in my life !

On line shop for us today and film night tonight. Might add a take away to the agenda ...

Thinking of Bluesapphire and gilly. ?to those facing challenges and wishing us all a good day. ?

EllanVannin Sat 26-Sep-20 09:56:28

Good Morning All x

Dragonfly-----you've made my day ! What a delightful photo of mother and daughter. My best wishes to your mum's 100th Birthday, what an achievement x

Lovely and sunny here on the costa Mersey so far. I don't know whether it's just this corner of the coast but "breaks away" are still continuing. One neighbour is on a coach trip, another is ready to get the train to see his dad in Glasgow and D and the 3 children are off to see Ruby-Lou in Durham---------as in normal procedures. I suppose in a way, the body has to build up some sort of resistance by being out and about unless of course you're not allowed.

I only unwrapped the mystery puzzle books I got through the post this week, yesterday. Thinking it had been some mistake, on opening, the competitions inside had " Happy Easter " inside grin---so old stock sent as an incentive to purchase their mags. It goes to show that I'm not used to receiving freebies of any sort.

Definitely blitz time here as I look around at folded washing from yesterday , right now a cat wouldn't find its kittens amongst the detritus ( that's a good word isn't it ? grin ) which best describes my table at the moment, there's no room to eat. Also a biggish box with decorated Halloween candles for the children, a sparkly flickering ornament.

I found a couple of lamb chops in the freezer yesterday so decided to use them in a hot-pot for tomorrow which will see me through Monday as well. I have a lovely lidded brown hot-pot " pot "rather than a clear casserole dish.
Sausage and mash today.

Just reading a bit in the local paper about Wirral " going it alone with separate ( Covid ) trace system ". Well done to the teams setting this up which is starting next week. Hoping it works in this smallish area, separated from Liverpool by the river.

I hope everyone is up and ready to face the day and those who can't, hope things improve for you. Thoughts, as usual, to those who aren't up to it.xx.

Stay safe and keep well.

Grandmafrench Sat 26-Sep-20 09:53:49

Good Morning everyone. Yaaay! Wonderful to hear from you, Dragonfly and so pleased you were able to celebrate your Mum’s milestone birthday. We treasure my Mum’s card from The Queen...in this card, she’s wearing a different outfit. Just as well she doesn’t have to shop like the rest of us! ?

Having rescued a very big garden pot which blew over in the gales on the other side of our house - and being relieved it wasn’t broken - we took our empty tea cups indoors to start supper. We’d been pottering in glorious sunshine : shorts, tee shirts, 28 degrees. The sun set, I went out to turn on the lawn sprinklers and found another small pot upended but smashed. That was ok., but I fled indoors for a jumper and still couldn’t finish clearing up and re-potting because it was like I had walked out and straight into the Arctic and I seriously do not feel the cold! Off went the air conditioning - and today it’s still only 14 degrees. Half of yesterday’s heat and with a wind chill still. It’ll change again, but until the warmth returns, some indoor jobs beckon. ?

Glad your DB is safely being treated, Beauregard, hope you’re feeling stronger, Gelisa - despite worrying phone calls. And can you be serious about doing very little, Taichinan? You never stop Taichi-ing. You put us to shame.

Everyone please try to do something which will raise a smile today. Safe shopping, safe journeys, safe meet-ups to all. Get well and strong, all those who are struggling. Thinking about you ?

Saturday hugs from ???

Kalu Sat 26-Sep-20 09:44:40

Good morning all from Glasgow where, although sunny Marydoll, it’s not at all the Indian Summer I thought we may have enjoyed. Brr. No morning alfresco Nespresso unless I don a fur coat and fur knickers. ?

A warm welcome to you LauraNorder
Lovely to see you with us again Dragonfly Many congratulations to your Mother on her 100th birthday. ?
Pleased to hear your brother is ok Beauregard

I have awarded myself a day off today as I have decided I’m worth it which translates as I’m knackered. ?

Have a good day all with best wishes for better times for our missing friends.

Bellasnana Sat 26-Sep-20 09:27:50

Good morning from Malta where it’s a sunny, but extremely windy day! The cool breeze is very welcome after some very humid, sticky days.

Thank you all for your kind comments. It has been a sad time and I’m not going to wallow and make everyone miserable, but I do appreciate all of you for caring.?

Happy to see dragonfly back and what a super photo! So pleased your mum received her message from HM, that’s a lovely achievement.

No plans for me today, but I have started doing online exercising every morning which has made me feel a lot better. Might go out for a walk later if this wind drops. The situation here has gone from bad to worse regarding Covid, so I’m only going out for essentials.

Maw how is Hattie doing?

Hope you all have a good day whatever you are doing.☀️

GrannySomerset Sat 26-Sep-20 09:25:11

DS has gone running, almost DiL still asleep and DH about to be got up. Lovely to have visitors, though I suspect no more for quite a while as DS expects London to be locked down again shortly. Nothing planned for today apart from a celebratory dinner (duck breasts in plum sauce with the last of last year’s plums and blackberry and apple turnovers plus a good red wine) but much conversation which will exhaust and energise DH in equal measures.

Beautiful autumn day here so we will make the most of it. Hope everyone is similarly lucky.

Auntieflo Sat 26-Sep-20 09:23:53

Good morning Mick, Annie and all.
What a lovely picture Dragonfly, and nice to see you back.
My dear mum died 29 years ago, and I still miss her.
I did a big shop yesterday, but still managed to come home without bread and milk. So will have to do that today.
At least the sun is shining, although it is chilly and the heating came on before we got up.
Thinking of Gilly
Have a good day one and all

Pittcity Sat 26-Sep-20 09:17:17

Good morning from a chilly, breezy, grey skied Colchester.
Woke late after a boozy night with a couple of friends. I threw too many empty bottles out this morning. Dishwasher is on and the robot hoover is doing its stuff while I relax with a cuppa. DH has gone to the gym!
Quiet weekend here.

Greyduster Sat 26-Sep-20 09:14:06

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. The sun is shining in a cold South Yorkshire. A walk is planned but first I have another curry to make - vege this time - for tomorrow’s lunch. We will probably walk down to the pub at the bottom of the valley, have a glass of Guinness and then stagger walk back. Hope the weather is kinder to you today NfK! Good to see you back Dragonfly. What a milestone for your Mum! Welcome LauraNorder! Love Anglesey! Have a safe and happy day all.

Gelisajams Sat 26-Sep-20 09:13:36

Lovely picture Dragonfly glad to see you back. You have been missed.?

Stilllearning Sat 26-Sep-20 09:11:51

Morning everyone, sunshine continues here in S Lanarkshire, so nice. I was distracted by an unexpected garden visitor yesterday and didn't get back to say how much I liked your cushion Sar53. I am genuinely in awe of all the talent and creativity of so many on this thread! I have decided that my current challenge is to accept my limitations and support the shops! Taichinan I recognise your thinking!
I do like the sound of your fire pit Kalu although I'm not sure what that is? I have been wondering how to make patio visits bearable this winter.
Gingster I am mainly just freshening everything up but my daughter who has just started her own small upholstery business is making pelmets for my curtains instead of the brass poles they are currently hanging from, they will match a small pale green leaf in the pattern which, I think, will give a cosy feel to the room.
Really lovely picturedragonfly and welcome LauraNorder, this is a very kindly group.