Gransnet forums

Chat

Argh! The blasted Jackdaws are back

(3 Posts)
Oopsadaisy4 Sat 26-Sep-20 21:53:14

We put a cowl on the chimney years ago, it has a tiny gap that they now squeeze through, so we put the wire around it.
Anyway the wire has been pulled apart and they are now back in the chimney.
I can hear them laughing at my attempts to keep them out.
When they have definitely gone for the Winter we will buy a cowl with a metal mesh lining that doesn’t have any gaps in it that they can wriggle through.
I do feel sorry about it though as I thought that they had gone, they mate for life too.

Sunny82z Sat 26-Sep-20 21:47:57

You need some proper chimney caps. I had a holiday home in France with a wood burner and a couple of times arrived to find dead jackdaws in the wood burner it was horrible. Wire net is useless. They will also nest on top of the chimney as you have found and cause a major hazard. You really do need proper cappings.

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 26-Sep-20 09:24:25

We thought that they had disappeared for the Autumn, so whilst the roofers were here we got them to fit some wire mesh over the top of the chimney cowl. It appeared to be well fixed with wire wrapped several times around it.
Yesterday the little blighters returned and are now intent upon peeling back the mesh, the racket they are making is incredible! It’s now hanging off...
I’m wondering when they will finally leave so that we can fix something that they can’t remove with their beaks and claws. Maybe the late Summer means they will be late leaving?
I’ve had to cancel the chimney sweep too.
We can’t prevent them from getting to an ‘active’ nest but as there are no eggs in it I’m wondering how long we have to wait .
Apart from sending DH outside every 10 minutes to shout at them I’m out of ideas.