Gransnet forums

Chat

Couldn't believe my eyes!

(13 Posts)
chicken Sun 27-Sep-20 09:17:05

Woke up yesterday and looked through the window. We have a very long driveway and without my glasses on I could see a black shape halfway down, then another ---. I went out to investigate and found that during the night, someone had placed four large car tyres, equally spaced along the length of the drive ( in the middle of it as well) with a final offering of a large air compressor at the road end. I'm baffled. Now we've got to find out out how to dispose of them!

Elegran Sun 27-Sep-20 09:36:01

Advertise them cheap on local Gumtree - "Buyer collects"

Hetty58 Sun 27-Sep-20 09:40:09

They make good planters!

Chewbacca Sun 27-Sep-20 09:40:34

Air compressors cost a lot of money and I'd be wondering why it had been abandoned on your drive. Maybe a quick call to the local police to see if they've received any reports of one being stolen before you do anything about getting rid of it?

annsixty Sun 27-Sep-20 10:00:43

They may have been delivered to the wrong house.
Check first.
A friend of mine got home from work one day to find BMW on her drive, when she got inside ,the keys were through her letterbox.
The garage had arranged to do this for a customer.
Only problem was it was the right house number on the wrong road.

Callistemon Sun 27-Sep-20 10:36:43

If supermarkets deliver someone else's order by mistake you keep it as they're not allowed to take it back. I wonder if it's the same for cars?

Are they new tyres, chicken? Were they delivered by mistake or old ones just dumped?
I wouldn't try to dispose of them, you could advertise on your area's local FB page and ask.

Or yes, they do make good planters.

Chewbacca Sun 27-Sep-20 10:44:30

Seems odd that they just appeared overnight though? And if it was a bona fide delivery, albeit to the wrong address, surely the tyres would have been neatly stacked up, not placed in a line, down the drive?

ExD Sun 27-Sep-20 10:52:56

We had an engine dumped in the middle of our farm gateway (we couldn't get in or out of our property.
The council refused to remove it for us because it was on 'private land' so therefor wasn't their problem, it seems that if it'd been dumped on the grass verge it would have been 'fly tipping' and they'd have moved it for us.
(Is there a way of posting photos on here?)

Sarnia Sun 27-Sep-20 10:52:59

Sounds like a fly tipper jealous of your long driveway. It costs money to take tyres to our recycling plant so dumping them on your driveway, job done and probably not overlooked. Personally I hate all fly tippers. They have total disregard for our countryside, the people who have to come and clear it away and the taxpayers who foot the bill.

FindingNemo15 Sun 27-Sep-20 11:48:33

Phone any local equestrian places as they use them for horse jumps.

ExD Fri 02-Oct-20 18:06:11

The owner of the land it's tipped on pays the bill - unless its actually tipped on the public highway it's not the council's responsibility.
At least that's what they told us -someone came out, looked at it and told us it wasn't their problem.
So helpful! angry

Lucca Fri 02-Oct-20 18:56:36

ExD

We had an engine dumped in the middle of our farm gateway (we couldn't get in or out of our property.
The council refused to remove it for us because it was on 'private land' so therefor wasn't their problem, it seems that if it'd been dumped on the grass verge it would have been 'fly tipping' and they'd have moved it for us.
(Is there a way of posting photos on here?)

Yes re photos. Go to this

ExD Sun 04-Oct-20 14:12:22

Chicken - did you find out anything more about this? What have you done with the stuff?