Gransnet forums

Chat

Chauvinism and how do you deal with it?

(105 Posts)
Spangler Sun 27-Sep-20 16:13:22

At the self-serve checkout at a supermarket today, a young lady, no more than 16 or 17, was being called darling by a fellow in his early 40's. She was clearly uncomfortable by it. There's a young manager who works there who impresses me. I caught his eye and told him of the young woman's distress. He spoke quietly with her, having got the gist of the matter he confronted the customer.

"Pardon me, Sir," he politely said, "it might seem rude of me to ask, but do you have children?" The fellow was taken aback but still answered yes. "A girl 14 and a boy of 10." The manager went straight for the jugular, "Would you be uncomfortable if a middle aged man kept calling your daughter, darling?" He got the point immediately. Looking at the young woman he said: "Sorry my dear." Emboldened by her manager she said: "I'm not your dear, any more than I am your darling." The chap couldn't get out of there quick enough.

I smiled at the young lady and mouthed: "Good for you," she smiled back and mouthed: "Thank you!" I winked at her and left the shop.

In my opinion it's not trivial. At work it's been my goal to impress upon those men who quite happily call a male customer, "Sir," that such a similar salutation should be offered to the ladies. Call her, Ma'am, madam, Miss, Mrs, followed by her surname, or if she permits, call her by her first name. As my wife used to say when called, "Love." "I'm not your love, I'm my husband's love." It might have put noses out but the men certainly knew not to call her by an endearment.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 01-Oct-20 09:50:15

Alegrias I just loved your post Wed 20:52:10 grin

Alegrias Thu 01-Oct-20 10:57:07

? Greeneyedgirl

Rufus2 Thu 01-Oct-20 13:46:12

No, please tell me the difference between Sheila and Bruce
Callistemon
I'm surprised! Being a psuedo Banana bender, I thought you'd know! shock

"Sheilas can spit further!"

It's a competition at the Queensland Annual Exhibition held in Brisbane; known as "Ekka", but unfortunately had to be cancelled this year for health reasons due to Covid.
They've got the AFL Grand Final by way of compensation
later this month!
We live and learn! grin
OoRoo

Rufus2 Thu 01-Oct-20 13:54:54

Rufus, please try to imagine me saying this in my best Kath’n’Kim accent
Alegrias No thanks! I can't stand the originals and you sound worse by wearing your face mask as you speak!
Peter Sellers would have made a better job of it! grin
OoRoo.