Gransnet forums

Chat

Who has a lovely speaking voice, and why?

(220 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 17:59:10

Have you been told you have a nice or unpleasant voice?

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 21:30:00

Does anybody remember Alan Badel?
He had the most wonderfully smooth voice and my mum reckoned she could be asleep within 5 minutes when he was reading A Book At Bedtime on the radio.

Chewbacca Wed 30-Sep-20 21:32:24

Richard Burton for me Maw! So melodic. But I'm Welsh so possibly a little biased?

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 21:33:06

I like the voices of David Attenborough, Billy Connolly, Anthony Hopkins (Antony?)

Luckygirl Wed 30-Sep-20 22:16:00

David Tennant; Carine Polwart

Auntieflo Wed 30-Sep-20 22:22:51

Neil Oliver and David Olusogu. (Sp)?

Grammaretto Wed 30-Sep-20 22:26:58

As above but add Michael Palin, Stephen Fry (when reading Harry Potter)
Glenda Jackson, Ming Campbell, Bill Paterson and the voice of rugby, Bill McLaren.
I listened to an old recording of W B Yeats reading his own poetry (which I love) but I didn't like his voice.
I don't like the sound of my own voice.

Gingster Wed 30-Sep-20 22:27:42

Ruth Langsworth (Eamon Holmes wife) has a beautiful speaking voice. Calm , educated and attractive.

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 22:30:16

Oh! Christopher Lee.
I have a wonderful tune in mind that is really sensual and relaxing, and he is speaking in it.

It makes my spine tingle.

Chewbacca Wed 30-Sep-20 22:35:59

Peter Ustinov could have read the phone directory and I'd have been enrapt!
David Olusoga does indeed have a lovely, low pitched and calming voice. Clear diction too.

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 22:38:17

I love Roy Orbison's "Mercy!" in 'Pretty Woman'. smile

Kalu Wed 30-Sep-20 22:39:10

Grammaretto you have such a lovely soft voice which I enjoyed listening to in January. Seems alifetime away now ?

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 22:41:34

smile

Chewbacca Wed 30-Sep-20 23:13:08

I love Roy Orbison's "Mercy!" in 'Pretty Woman'.

I know the exact bit you mean MissA; makes me shiver! grin

MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 23:25:21

Not much mention of women's voices.
I have known a few men who like Mariella Fostrupp's voice.

Grandma2213 Wed 30-Sep-20 23:28:25

I have been told more than once I have a kind voice, usually when telling people they have the wrong number! Last week my grocery delivery driver rang to ask if he could come earlier and when he arrived he said he thought I was an answerphone, though I'm not sure that many answerphones actually answer the caller's question!

BlueSky Thu 01-Oct-20 00:47:27

Love Joanna Lumley’s voice, also the way she looks, same with Michael Portillo, it’s a pleasure watching their travel programmes!

Georgesgran Thu 01-Oct-20 01:57:45

I’ve a Durham accent - not the same as ‘Geordie’.
Loved the late Alan Rickman’s voice and I’d have been happy if ex-Newcastle United player David Ginola just read me the phone book!!
Need to lie down now!!!!

Grammaretto Thu 01-Oct-20 07:15:57

Kalu Thankyou. Was it only January! I so hope we can meet up again and I can hear your lovely voices again too.

Scribbles Thu 01-Oct-20 08:32:15

My late OH had a lovely, mellow voice. Because I always delete my voicemails when they're dealt with I have no recording of him and I miss his warm tones so much. I can't even hear him "in my head" most of the time and that has been one of the worst aspects of grief. While sorting out his accumulated "stuff", I've found myself longing to stumble over an old tape recording or computer file with his voice on it but I think that's not going to happen and his voice is lost forever. So sad.

Alima Thu 01-Oct-20 08:35:41

Geoffrey Cox, like black treacle. ( As opposed to David Beckham, was a great footballer but sounds like he has trapped himself in his zip).

Teetime Thu 01-Oct-20 09:21:30

Yes I have been told often that I have a nice speaking voice and when younger a nice singing voice. I think that's gone a bit rusty but I hope to join a singing group when such a thing is possible but not a Choral Society which I loved but you have to be honest with yourself dont you.

lemongrove Thu 01-Oct-20 09:22:07

Haha Alima a good description of Beckham ( such a good looking man with a strange birdlike voice.)

Richard Burton, Anthony Hopkins ( maybe I just like the musical intonation of Welsh accents.)
Mariella Frostrupp does have a great voice, as did Fenella Fielding.
Hard to say about your own voice I think, it may sound different to our own ears (recorded) to how others hear it.

EllanVannin Thu 01-Oct-20 09:33:17

Well spoken is what I've been told. I wouldn't know.

Chewbacca Thu 01-Oct-20 09:34:44

A good analogy there 're David Beckham Alima! grin

I think you're right about the Welsh voice lemon, it's so lyrical and mellifluous.

MiniMoon Thu 01-Oct-20 09:36:18

When asked for my age over the telephone, I have often been told that I sound much younger.
My accent is still that of North Cumbria although I have lived further east for many years.

My recorded voice is nothing like the voice I hear in my head!