Gransnet forums

Chat

Who has a lovely speaking voice, and why?

(220 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 30-Sep-20 17:59:10

Have you been told you have a nice or unpleasant voice?

Mummer Tue 15-Feb-22 10:39:26

Oh how wonderful madeleine 45! A friend's mum used to do the announcements at Manchester NH picadilly station for a few years, Mrs Fuega. She had a beautiful voice that belied her appearance, she was tiny and very glamourous!!! Sounded like a buxom opera singer?

Mummer Tue 15-Feb-22 10:31:49

I have a deep neutral accented voice and have always been told it's a good speaking voice.its very powerful at volume and never ever typically female screechy at its height. I also have a very strong singing voice with a 3octave range. Sadly not ever used to any effect as was told as a child "you can't make a living from talking/singing/writing stories and poems/painting pictures". .........how times have changed for us mortals, once the chosen path for the chosen (rich) few , now everyone can follow their destinies.

Candy6 Tue 15-Feb-22 10:23:54

I hate my speaking voice. It’s very “nasal” and I dislike it intensely. Not a lot I can do about it though?‍♀️

StoneofDestiny Tue 15-Feb-22 08:39:24

I've been told I have - I'm from Glasgow.

Personally I feel the worst speaking voices are the ones who like to do the 'upper crust' ones with the mock stammer and 'eh eh eh' between ever word. Dire.

Sleepygran Mon 14-Feb-22 22:51:54

I like Joanna Lumleys voice.Also like the Canadian accent,but not American so much.

CarrieAnn Mon 14-Feb-22 21:35:27

I'm toldI have a very young voice when speaking to someone the other day I was asked how old I was because they needed to speak to someone over forty,I'm seventy six.I have to say I was quite flattered

Sharina Mon 14-Feb-22 20:13:39

Apparently I have a “good” voice. I’ve been told I could have a good profession as a telephone sex worker! This was told me by a very respectable manager?

Grandma70s Mon 14-Feb-22 19:23:03

I don’t agree about Judi Dench’s voice. She sounds like a little girl to me, totally inappropriate for a woman her age.

I do think children should have more speech training. It worries me to hear poor speech that has never been helped, and it must affect their chances in life. Who would teach them, though?

GraceQuirrel Mon 14-Feb-22 18:01:25

Elocution lessons…..now there is something that should be bought back for the kids grin

madeleine45 Mon 14-Feb-22 16:56:04

I have done quite a lot of recording of Talking Newspaper for the Blind. We try and mix the speakers up to give variety and usually have 3 different voices to share the reading and give interest. So the last one I did was with a scottish gentleman and a lady with a higher southern accent so quite a variety. I have quite a clear voice, and come from yorkshire but lived all over the world and had to speak "the queens english" at school. I think my accent is stronger now but am quite happy with that. I loved Leo McKern who played Rumpole of the Bailey, think it is a very velvety warm sound, and thought he was good in the part. Also Nigel Hawthorne has a wonderful voice, and Judy Dench. I used to say she could read the telephone directory and sound sexy! I also did hospital car service and used to have a cd of Martin Jarvis reading Just William. He has a wonderful voice and the adults seemed to enjoy it as much as the children. Of course people like Richard Burton reading the wonderful Under Milk Wood, and Benjamin Zephaniah reading his own poetry. although I do watch some things on tv I find plays on the radio with wonderful voices are much more real and worth listening to and a modern voice I like is Toby Johns who has been lovely in many things and especially in the Dectectorists. Ah I do think of which 8 records I would choose for desert island discs and review them over time, but oh what if you could only hear a few number of voices who do you choose. ?

Happysexagenarian Mon 14-Feb-22 16:37:53

My husband has a lovely voice. He always records our answerphone messages and sounds so clear and pleasant.

I just sound like the Cockney I am!

Many years ago I worked with a man who had what I would call a 'dark chocolate' voice. It sent shivers down my spine every time he spoke. Soooo sexy!!

Bluecat Mon 14-Feb-22 16:21:50

I have been told that I have a very soothing voice. People invariably fall asleep if I read to them. I suspect that my voice is actually very boring.

Lizzie44 Mon 14-Feb-22 16:05:04

Born in Birmingham, lived in London, Glasgow, Sheffield and South Wales, and now in the South East. I absorb accents very easily so my accent has travelled about a bit over the years and is fairly nondescript now. Occasionally people will ask me if I come from Scotland/Wales so there's obviously something residual there.
On the few occasions when I have heard my own voice I loathe it. I sound abrupt and cold. I wish I knew how to change it. I would like the voice of Fiona Bruce. My singing voice is awful - used to mime in school hymns etc. and still do that at e.g. weddings, funerals.

songstress60 Mon 14-Feb-22 16:00:30

I love Anthony Hopkins' accent and used to like Sean Connery, but I hate David Beckham's voice, in fact I used to call him "Squeaker Beckham", and I also hate Paddy McgGuinness's voice too. Somebody I worked with got a job as a voiceover artist when she had an interview for promotion at The Civil Service because the man that interviewed her was a voiceover artiste in his spare time, and he offered to let all the staff have a read through promising he would get us on the books of his agency if our voices sounded promising. I failed the read through, however, because he said my Mancunian acccnt was grating! I offered to read in another accent as I can do some accents but he declined my offer. The lady who got the voiceover job left the Civil Service and went to work as a teacher, but still does voiceover work in her spare time, and it's VERY lucrative.

HillyN Mon 14-Feb-22 15:55:21

My voice carries well which meant I was often asked to read or narrate at school or church. It came in useful in later life when I went into teaching.
When I was interviewed for a job with the GPO after leaving Oxford university I was told my West Country accent made me sound unintelligent!
My favourite voice to listen to is David Suchet. I found his reading of the Bible gave real meaning to verses I had heard many times before.

Fernhillnana Mon 14-Feb-22 15:39:29

I remember once in America in a restaurant ordering a starter and main course and the young waiter just looked at me and said, sorry ma’am I didn’t get that, I’m just listening to your beautiful accent.

Eskay10 Mon 14-Feb-22 15:37:57

We did have elocution lessons for a time at our state junior school in south London. I don’t speak posh, but I do speak with a London accent both properly and grammatically which is important to me. However, I don’t like the sound of my own voice, it sounds very flat, but it’s a bit too late to change it now.

Tea and cake Mon 14-Feb-22 15:37:08

I have a rather flat, Northern voice, despite living in the Midlands for years.

Armorel Mon 14-Feb-22 15:05:06

I was in the WRNS in the 1960s and was told by an officer to change my 'telephone voice' because I always sounded as though I was having an affair with the person on the other end of the line.

Alison333 Mon 14-Feb-22 14:53:31

An earlier post pointed out that David Beckham had an unexpectedly light voice for his size.

Also, Henry VIII who was over 6ft tall and very wide, was said to have had a squeaky voice by contemporaries!

Kali2 Mon 14-Feb-22 14:46:23

I have the weirdest of accents- nobody ever gets it right.

I have been 'accused' of being Welsh and South African- go figure!

katy1950 Mon 14-Feb-22 14:43:05

A Frenchman told me once my voice sang but he was pissed at the time

Roxy1195 Mon 14-Feb-22 14:35:49

Correction Clive Marie

Roxy1195 Mon 14-Feb-22 14:32:38

Clive Imrie

Audi10 Mon 14-Feb-22 13:58:00

I’ve been told I have a very calming voice, must have caught me on a good day ! ??