Gransnet forums

Chat

Second lockdown

(133 Posts)
Katyj Thu 01-Oct-20 07:28:58

It feels a whole lot worse this time around. Suppose it could be because the first time it was all new to us, the sun was shining, and learning to use FaceTime was a novelty ? . This time it’s just upsetting, boring and depressing, been there got the t shirt.
Everybody Seems to be talking about Christmas, ordering food, how do they know if their going to be together ? Is it just me being negative. Should I assume we’re going to be able to see the grandchildren soon.
If your in Liverpool and can see your family today ,see them. We only had 6 hours notice, if we’d have know we’d have had a last visit.
The reason it’s spreading so much up here is ,not many people are abiding by the rules.I work with five grandmas similar age to me, not one of them have stopped seeing their families only one picks up from school So in a support childcare bubble, it’s very hard listening to them day in day out.
At least at the moment ,thank goodness we are all well fingers crossed. Sorry for the moan ?

MrsRochester Thu 01-Oct-20 20:22:09

Oh Morherduck, please may I offer a long, hard cuddle to both you and your incredible daughter.

mrswoo Thu 01-Oct-20 20:10:42

motherduck you and your family are going through such a truly dreadful time. I hope with all my heart that your daughter’s health improves and she and her husband can be together with each other and with their baby. flowers

Paperbackwriter Thu 01-Oct-20 18:43:37

MellowYellow

I can't believe how naive I was thinking the first lockdown would be the end of it! We're not threatened with it here (yet) in Cornwall, but I feel quite fed up with the way things keep changing, and I don't usually get fed up!!!

188 new cases in Redruth, one of my Cornwall daughters tells me. All connected with a meat packing plant.

p1nkpr1ncess Thu 01-Oct-20 17:35:23

Motherduck so sorry to hear what you are going through, you and your family will be in my prayers. Love to you all flowers

Happilyretired123 Thu 01-Oct-20 17:16:54

Motherduck
So sorry to hear this and heartfelt sympathy. Puts the minor inconveniences into perspective. ?

SueDonim Thu 01-Oct-20 17:14:19

Motherduck, your post about your daughter is utterly heart-breaking, I am so sorry you and your family are enduring this terrible ordeal. flowers

Peace too, flowers. May you and your dd remain well.

Parsley3 Thu 01-Oct-20 17:11:19

Motherduck your post puts everything into perspective.
? Take care ?

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 17:03:48

Motherduck flowers

When I read your post, I thought of all those who are grumbling about what are, in fact, just inconveniences. Your post is heartbreaking.

I send you all my best wishes.

MerylStreep Thu 01-Oct-20 16:53:49

polnan
Re watching the news. You ask what else is there
Absolutely masses of programs. I don't watch/listen to the news. OH tells me if there's something I need to know. Generally, there isn't.
Why not search on i player, itv hub, more4, my5. Do you use Amazon? Sign up to Prime. Or Netflix.
I've watched so much good stuff since this started . Not good for your mental health watching all the gloom and doom.

Bijou Thu 01-Oct-20 16:50:51

I cannot understand the figures. It is said there are a hundred million cases world wide. What is the population of the world. The population of China alone is 1.7 billion.
There have been no cases in my village and I have not heard of anyone I know who has had it. It is confined to highly populated areas.

12Michael Thu 01-Oct-20 16:47:49

Just read about a three tier system for England as to areas , more or less a traffic light system
Red : Areas of High Risk
Yellow: Those who are going up or down
Green : All clear areas but could be a mini at risk .
See Mid October as a start date
Maybe limitations as to travel as well.
Mick

GrannyGravy13 Thu 01-Oct-20 16:34:50

Motherduck if you are in need of a shoulder or two pop into
soop kitchen it is a lovely gentle supportive thread.

Sending virtual (((hugs))) ???

Motherduck Thu 01-Oct-20 16:33:59

And yet the vulnerable can only look after themselves if the wider public take sensible precautions too, as a healthy person may be a carrier and not display symptoms. We’re all in this together.

AGAA4 Thu 01-Oct-20 16:30:53

Motherduck flowers I hope your daughter is reunited with her baby soon.

Noreen3 Thu 01-Oct-20 16:15:51

I dread a second one.Lockdown was the first time I've felt really lonely since losing my husband.I've got used to going out more now,though some things I enjoyed remain cancelled.I can't face everywhere being closed again,and it would seem so much worse in colder weather,and dark evenings.

Motherduck Thu 01-Oct-20 16:06:17

Oh my word you’ve all helped me today, it’s been impossible to tell people at the moment as they scurry past me, either they don’t know what to say, or they don’t know and are keeping safe. Not just saying it, reading kind words makes a difference, I’m almost in fear of telling some people as then I tepidly have to say ‘don’t worry I haven’t got it’ which diminishes what my daughter is enduring. It’s a nightmare at the moment as she can’t see her baby George on the prem unit (naturally until she’s received a negative Covid result), he husband is self isolating at home and he can’t see the baby or my daughter. So this little family is completely separated at what should be a special time in their life, she’s losing precious time with her baby, and I can’t do anything to help her, I can’t visit her and I can’t see her baby.
But thanks everyone you don’t k is how you’ve helped me today xx

tom16 Thu 01-Oct-20 15:49:42

BBbevan

At the beginning of our first lockdown I read a book about the pandemic of 1918. Their second wave was far worse than the first. I am not surprised at where we are heading

Hi, What was the book you read. I would like a read myself to get a better picture of what we maybe facing. Although I guess nowadays we have such advances in scientific knowledge that we can hopefully get the better of this second wave before it get us!

Naninka Thu 01-Oct-20 15:45:16

Leicester has been a joyful place to be..... not!
Naninka, Leicester

sandelf Thu 01-Oct-20 15:06:04

We know we can do it if we have to!! Been there before, got the shopping practice etc. Won't be any worse than 'a bit tedious'.

Magmar Thu 01-Oct-20 15:04:14

To get things in perspective in these very confusing times, please listen to the Daily Telegraph podcast every Thursday with Allison Pearson and Liam Halligan, with eminent speakers including scientists, epidemiologists and others, who say the virus will not be suppressed any time soon, we have got to learn to live with it. Anyone who is vulnerable or feels vulnerable should take precautions to keep themselves safe and well, the rest of us should get on with our lives, being sensible, but we should not be imprisoning our children, young people and the fit elderly. Our country is going to rack and ruin because of Project Fear. Thousands are dying of flu, comparatively few with Covid.

Craftycat Thu 01-Oct-20 14:45:41

I think we have had it easy so far down here in Surrey. TBH it hasn't really made much difference to my daily life. I can still go shopping- with a mask on in shops, I can pick my DGC up from school- again with mask in car. My WI & dance class still going on but with social distances between us.
The weather has been wonderful so friends have come over & sat well apart in garden (which has been the best for flowers for as long as I can remember). My sons have brought DGC over to sit on patio too.
I suspect when the weather gets colder it will get worse though.

McGilchrist41 Thu 01-Oct-20 14:42:23

I live alone but near second daughter. However she works at a college which now has the virus. What a surprise, teenagers don't see any danger and they certainly won’t isolate. My friends are now in total lockdown too. We were meeting in the park but that’s gone now. Relying on craft and books to keep me sane. I have just finished one pair of socks and about to start another pair. I do have ALEXA if I get desperate and ofcoutse the telephone but its just not the same as a meet up.with friends. Then today my neighbour tells me she has the virus and is isolating which is ok but her husband doesn't think she has it and is carrying on as normal. Unbelievable.

Furret Thu 01-Oct-20 14:38:29

Motherduck. Hugs ?

collius Thu 01-Oct-20 14:35:26

Blessings and prayers to Motherduck her daughter and family. Not just empty words but real prayers. I also pray we will come through this wiser, sadder, more empathetic, caring and more neighbourly than before. But be sure come through this we will.

icanhandthemback Thu 01-Oct-20 14:32:02

Motherduck, I am so sorry your daughter has been so compromised by the virus. I have argued that students aren't so badly off, for the most part, when put into context and it is cases like your daughter's that make me feel that way. My heart goes out to you and your family. I sincerely hope that things look up for your daughter soon. x