Gransnet forums

Chat

The most beautiful song I have ever come accross

(127 Posts)
sandye Thu 01-Oct-20 14:05:44

I have recently heard a piece of music that has bought tears to my eyes. It was at a funeral for my friends husband so was an emotional day, but this piece of music has really struck a cord. I hope you get a chance to listen to Donna Taggart a song called Jealous of the angels. I love all music but this one strikes at the heart. sorry cant post the link I'm not that clever.

GreenGran78 Fri 02-Oct-20 20:14:14

Bluecat your post reminded me that the hymn “Do not be afraid” is one that is often chosen to be sung by my choir at funerals. I’m not sure whether the families notice that one verse is “When the fires are burning all around you, you will never be consumed by the flames.”
The previous mention of Christina Rossetti reminded my of her lovely poem, “Remember me when I am gone away,” which has been beautifully set to music. It was sung at my husband’s funeral Mass, but we exited the crematorium to the strains of “The Hippopotamus Song.” Richie loved a bit of silliness!

moggie57 Fri 02-Oct-20 20:13:24

My lighthouse by rend edition

Jillybird Fri 02-Oct-20 20:07:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jerseygirl Fri 02-Oct-20 19:40:16

When my stepfather died we all walked into church to Leader of the pack. He was a biker.

jerseygirl Fri 02-Oct-20 19:39:08

I love How long will i love you by Ellie Golding too

hilarious Fri 02-Oct-20 19:07:16

Time To Say Goodbye - by Andrea Bocelli

clareken Fri 02-Oct-20 18:48:05

Either In the Arms of the Angel, or Run to You by Pentatonix

Tedd1 Fri 02-Oct-20 18:46:40

So sorry for your loss, Granny 23

Schumee Fri 02-Oct-20 18:40:01

I want “ The Way old Friends Do” by ABBA

Kryptonite Fri 02-Oct-20 18:12:25

Granny23 thinking of you. Sympathies to you and family. xx

Curlywhirly Fri 02-Oct-20 17:41:04

My friend chose for her husband's funeral (who sadly died suddenly when only in his 50s) Time In a Bottle by Jim Croce, so poignant for a funeral, and Monty Python's Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, which was so apt as her husband had a wicked sense of humour. Still miss him and his jokes.

Tickledpink Fri 02-Oct-20 17:32:12

That's a lovely song, thanks for the link. My favourite song of all time is The Prayer Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli.

aonk Fri 02-Oct-20 17:29:35

I shall have the hymn “The day thou gavest Lord is ended.” Such beautiful words.

beverly10 Fri 02-Oct-20 17:20:54

Agree with Sunset Boulevarde but as always the romantic then Never Never Never by Shirley Bassey,and the Carpenters, W'eve 'Only Just Begun which was the start of many years with the love of my life.

Bluecat Fri 02-Oct-20 16:50:12

My friend's husband said that, when the curtains closed on his coffin, he wanted the Pearl and Dean music to be played. He also said that he wanted "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen. I am tempted to choose that one myself but the lines "I'm burning through the sky. 200 degrees, that's why they call me Mr Fahrenheit" might be a bit upsetting at a cremation.

I think I'll go for Sandy Denny's "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" and Leonard Cohen's "Dance Me To The End Of Love". Though the latter does begin "Dance me to the future with a burning violin..."

"Into My Arms" by Nick Cave is also lovely. The words are a perfect expression of love.

Snuffles1 Fri 02-Oct-20 16:42:40

This made me cry

adnilc Fri 02-Oct-20 16:25:17

My 3 sons suggested Simply the Best by Tina Turner for my funeral, not that it's going to be any time soon I hope! I think it's a pretty good suggestion ?

Herbie9 Fri 02-Oct-20 16:06:14

My DH favourite musical was West Side Story so we had the recording of Matt Monro singing "Somewhere" - such a wonderful voice. Also Pachelbel's "Canon in D" one of my favourite pieces of music, which was played on entry,

narrowboatnan Fri 02-Oct-20 16:02:33

I’m having ‘Enjoy yourself, Its Later Than You Think’. I shall get the words printed off so that the handful of people attending can join in grin

Boolya Fri 02-Oct-20 15:44:07

Capstick Comes Home as it always makes me laugh out loud. I would like the few attendees at the crem leave with a chuckle.

Georgesgran Fri 02-Oct-20 15:35:33

It’s ‘Time in a Bottle’ by Jim Croce for me and Scot McKenzie’s San Francisco. Grandma was a bit of a hippie!

Nagmad2016 Fri 02-Oct-20 15:21:17

I just listened to this on You Tube. You are absolutely right, it is a lovely, emotional song. I 'attended' a live video of a friend's husband's funeral earlier in the year. She chose 'Love of my Life' by Freddie Mercury as the final song. It is strange how the lyrics of a song can convey everything that you want to say, and for so many people. Thank you for sharing this.

bikergran Fri 02-Oct-20 14:55:21

"Fields of Gold" for my mum recently and Rock around the clock on the way out.

lilydily9 Fri 02-Oct-20 14:41:09

Beautiful song Sandye. Mine will be 'As Time Goes By', it holds very special memories for me.

soldiersailor Fri 02-Oct-20 14:28:09

At first I wanted Rod Stewart singing 'Better Off Dead' so that people could have a good laugh, plus it's got a great beat.

But then I thought, no, go for George Michael singing 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face'.

She'll know.