Gransnet forums

Chat

Oh No!,No M&S Advent calendar.

(40 Posts)
annsixty Thu 01-Oct-20 17:29:45

For us devotees, this is sad news, no calendar this year.
Looking for an alternative but they are all so expensive.

FannyCornforth Fri 02-Oct-20 04:49:16

The Holland & Barrett one does actually look very good.
I'm pleasantly surprised.
I'm also mulling over glossy box.

vegansrock Fri 02-Oct-20 03:58:24

adventofchange.com/products/charity-advent-calendar

vegansrock Fri 02-Oct-20 03:57:17

Shame about M and S - I liked that one.I checked out the Holland and Barrett beauty calendar and it looks quite good, so might treat myself. I also like the Pukka herbal tea bags one where you get 24 different herbal teas, a different one each day. For kids who have everything a good idea is Advent for Change which supports 24 charities, so for each window they tell you something about the charity that you are donating 50p per day to.

FannyCornforth Fri 02-Oct-20 03:41:09

I've never had an M&S advent calendar before.
I was going to buy one for the very first time this year sad
I'm genuinely gutted!

Chewbacca Thu 01-Oct-20 23:00:46

Sweet lemon? The kid's a kleptomaniac when he's in my house! grin If he likes it and can carry it, it's gone!

lemongrove Thu 01-Oct-20 22:45:50

Chewbacca

I feel your pain GagaJo. My GS aged 3 has to be frisked before he leaves my house to check he's not "borrowed" any of my L'Occitan miniatures from the bathroom. I'm convinced it was him wot nicked the lip balm!

Oh how sweet! You meanie Chewbacca ?

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 22:41:18

GagaJo

I do love L'Occitane. I was horrified when I got back to the UK in the summer, to find my daughter had opened and was using 'those old toiletries shoved on the bottom shelf in the bathroom'. The remainder of my lovely L'Occitane stash that I hadn't taken with me to work.

shock

When you're next home, borrow her best jumper then put it in a hot wash.

Chewbacca Thu 01-Oct-20 22:39:19

I feel your pain GagaJo. My GS aged 3 has to be frisked before he leaves my house to check he's not "borrowed" any of my L'Occitan miniatures from the bathroom. I'm convinced it was him wot nicked the lip balm!

SueDonim Thu 01-Oct-20 22:37:18

Quite so, Lemongrove. It cannot be the twelve days of advent.

I get my GC advent calendars with pictures. They know better than to expect a chocolate one. If their parents want them to have those, that’s their job. grin

GagaJo Thu 01-Oct-20 22:11:55

I do love L'Occitane. I was horrified when I got back to the UK in the summer, to find my daughter had opened and was using 'those old toiletries shoved on the bottom shelf in the bathroom'. The remainder of my lovely L'Occitane stash that I hadn't taken with me to work.

Ellianne Thu 01-Oct-20 22:11:22

I would like a musical advent calendar that plays a different carol each day.

lemongrove Thu 01-Oct-20 22:10:26

It’s either the twelve days of Christmas....or Advent.Can’t be rolled into one.
I like the traditional Nativity scenes too, and always buy those for the DGC.
This year I fancy a cheering Advent calendar with a few treats though, all for me.

SueDonim Thu 01-Oct-20 22:05:41

JaxJacky I like advent calendars with just the doors, too. They must have a cute picture behind them, though! I am very sad that ones with glitter on are now verboten due to environmental concerns as they are my favourite.

I’ve had an M&S beauty calendar before but I don’t use half the products so wouldn’t get another.

And what’s with these twelve-day advent calendars you sometimes see? Since when did advent have twelve days? It’s an abomination! grin

B9exchange Thu 01-Oct-20 22:01:56

I'm afraid I only like the traditional ones with glitter, no chocolates, just pictures of the nativity behind each one. I never quite understood expensive advent calendars with skin creams etc in. I would never buy them for myself, and presents for others are for Christmas Day, but I must just be really old-fashioned confused

lemongrove Thu 01-Oct-20 21:56:36

I wonder if anyone makes chocolate liqueur ones, really good ones??

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Oct-20 21:41:34

I’m so naive on all these, for me, just cardboard windows, about £1.50 per calendar, family get ones with chocolates in..about £2 - £2.50 a pop..

Chewbacca Thu 01-Oct-20 21:34:56

Uh oh! Marydoll! You don't like the Holland & Barrett one? Drat! traipses back to the shop for a refund

Marydoll Thu 01-Oct-20 20:48:27

Me too Chewy. I had a look at it. sad

Chewbacca Thu 01-Oct-20 20:44:24

Mumsnet went crazy for the Holland and Barrett one last year

Really? But why? The whole concept of a luxury advent calendar is decadence and luxurious treats that you wouldn't normally have. Holland & Barrett is synonymous with healthy living, vitamins and dietary supplements; the complete opposite of opulent luxury. I'd be most disappointed if I got one of those!

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 20:33:21

Marydoll

Oh I knew you would come up trumps! ?

grin
You may have to wait a while until the sales!

lemongrove Thu 01-Oct-20 20:29:53

We shall have to make do with choccy ones.

lemongrove Thu 01-Oct-20 20:29:14

annsixty I wonder why they have stopped doing it? Surely it was popular enough?

Marydoll Thu 01-Oct-20 20:27:38

Oh I knew you would come up trumps! ?

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 20:25:30

Marydoll

Could I drop a hint for a Molton Brown calendar? It's only £175! ?

I suppose that plea will fall on deaf ears. grin

Yes, let me know where and when Marydoll.
In fact I think your class should buy one for their teecher

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 20:24:13

annsixty

For us devotees, this is sad news, no calendar this year.
Looking for an alternative but they are all so expensive.

I still have some products left from 2 years ago! Will they be ok? Never opened. In fact, that may be where I got the small sample of the L'Occitane face cream (see wrong thread).
However, I did give some away, but not the face cream.

I do love 'L'Occitane, Chewbacca, I was given some for my birthday.