Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas decorations.

(67 Posts)
Newatthis Thu 01-Oct-20 20:31:26

I've just gone to the shops (a rare visit) and found that they are already stocking the shelves with Christmas decorations. Now this is not unusual as it is October. Ordinarily I would stop and look to see if I could add to my collection and get excited. I love Christmas and love decorating my house for the festive season. However, today it was all I could do to stop myself crying. I just thought that this year I won't be with my family which is one of the only times we all get together (my C's and Gc's live a long way away). Added to that the thought of having to queue up outside the supermarkets in the cold, winter weather upset me further. I had to leave the shop and get back to the car before the tears started tumbling down my face. I am a very positive person so this is very unusual behaviour for me. Does anyone else feel like this.

Shinamae Sat 03-Oct-20 10:23:23

Not at all religious and since of the Children are now adults I really don’t bother much with Christmas at all, I do buy the grandchildren gifts but then I tend to work on Christmas Day because I work in a care home and I think it’s nice for other workers with small children to have that day off....

Aepgirl Sat 03-Oct-20 10:24:15

Quite understandable, Newatthis. We are all feeling anxious and finding it difficult to make plans. I suspect that by mid-December many of us will decide to decorate and plan for a down-sized Christmas.

Scottiebear Sat 03-Oct-20 10:30:49

Already looking forward to Christmas. Love it. Have just bought a lovely new artificial tree and have bought some beautiful new Christmas crockery. Have already bought some Christmas presents. Im planning to do all my food shopping early as I'm wondering how the supermarkets will cope with the run up to Christmas food shop chaos. So intend to be prepared and as stress free as possible. Even frozen veg if necessary. Don't have any family nearby other than DS and DIL and dont know if we will be able to spend time with them. But I have decided I will make the house look extra festive and just enjoy being a little over indulgent.

Nannapat1 Sat 03-Oct-20 10:31:14

I fully understand the OP's tearful moment as I've felt like that a few times during the last 6 months. I didn't bother to get out any of the usual bits and pieces at Easter as we saw no one and I felt very low. Christmas will be different this year as we will not be having our usual large extended family gathering, nor will we be able to throw our usual NY Day party, unless a miracle occurs. We've decided that all the lights will go up outside from 1 December as usual though and also indoor decorations and trees. They will provide cheer for anyone passing by as well as ourselves during the dark Winter days.

aonk Sat 03-Oct-20 10:38:10

There’s a hint in today’s papers that there could be relaxations in the rules over Christmas. I realise this won’t help everyone but it’s something to hope for. Also new infections are levelling off. Again a good sign.

Lucy127 Sat 03-Oct-20 10:43:40

For me it’s the build up to Christmas that drags me down, and it seems to get longer each year. I’m usually very confident but tears will be close. Seems so unbalanced and commercial and miles away from what it is really all about.

Let’s continue to reach out and support each other. And the Zoom dinner is a stunning idea. And I’d add some of the meal preparation to add extra fun. Be strong as you can and you’re far from alone.

annifrance Sat 03-Oct-20 10:46:07

I haven't seen my family for nearly a year, and I usually go back to England to see them every three or four months. But it is what it is and getting on with it because don't have a choice.

So DH and I will hunker down and have a cosy Christmas alone, or with our very dear French friends if they can't get go to their family. Have to put a positive spin on it. It's really not that difficult, be resourceful.

Juicylucy Sat 03-Oct-20 10:49:14

Sorry you felt sad. I do think we just have to accept this year is going to be very different. Look at ways you can make it a bit special and treat yourself. The good times will come again.

maddyone Sat 03-Oct-20 11:15:21

Newatthis
I’m sorry you’re feeling this way. Try to remember, just as others have said, that we’re all pretty much in the same boat this year, and not much to look forward to in the new year. Hopefully we’ll get a vaccine some time next year and things will begin to return to normal, although that will take a while as it will take time to inoculate everyone. For now, I’d say don’t focus too much on Christmas, it’s still nearly three months away. So long as the children get their gifts, and we all get to eat a Christmas dinner somewhere, then it’s as much as we can hope for this time round I’m afraid.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:29:10

I love Christmas, but don't feel in the least bit christmassy just yet - probably because I haven't been out to be confronted by the shops, etc.

Pippa22 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:34:24

I had a Zoom birthday during lockdown and it was fun with a competitive element. We had exactly the same meal, at the same time and showed off at each stage, ours looks better than yours kind of thing! We even managed to argue over the pudding choices , again fun. We asked if the others would like more wine but of course they had to top up themselves. That would work well for absent families at Christmas although timings could be difficult if families in different time zones.

Greciangirl Sat 03-Oct-20 11:38:32

Don’t think about Christmas if it upsets you.
It’s far too early, anyway.

If you can’t go inside a supermarket without getting upset, then do a click and collect grocery order. Or a delivery if possible.

Every year it’s the same old complaints.
Usually about who is spending time with who.

newnanny Sat 03-Oct-20 11:47:52

I think I have read that Boris might drop rule of 6 for Christmas day.

newnanny Sat 03-Oct-20 11:51:34

Delivery slots are already getting harder to get. I would book one now before impossible to get one. If you are not set up for online grocery delivery I would do it now, so you won't be on s position of having to go out if you are unwell and live alone.

We usually go and pick a Christmas tree but I am even wondering if I can get one delivered this year.

harrysgran Sat 03-Oct-20 11:53:16

Hoping my mood will change as time gets nearer but at minute I'm with you on this

Flygirl Sat 03-Oct-20 11:54:16

Due to total estrangement from my son and my lovely grandsons I'm afraid my enthusiasm waned a long time ago. Christmas is something to get through and come out the other side. I wouldn't be seeing my grandsons even on a "normal" Christmas. My husband has never enjoyed it and has never seen the point of putting up loads of decorations but conceded for the children who are no longer in our lives. So no, I shall enjoy looking at them in garden centres but thats3as far as it goes.

Theoddbird Sat 03-Oct-20 12:10:15

I will just think of it as another day. At the moment being with family at any time has to be appreciated and made the most of. Last year I decided to spend it alone. I put 3 real potted trees on my jetty and put solar lights on them. I cooked simple but special meal. I dug out the Christmas dvds. I enjoyed it...a relaxing but planned day. We just have to make what we can of it. No point in stressing about something we cannot change... x

mumofmadboys Sat 03-Oct-20 12:31:36

If it benefits all that we abide by the rule of 6 , it would be madness to stop it for one day. Awful if we had a spike in deaths from Christmas mixing!

Illte Sat 03-Oct-20 12:51:33

Those of you who are wondering about Christmas shopping, please check out the independents in your local high street.

My son-in-law owns a small gift shop and us offering "bubbles" when you can book a 45 minute slot to have the shop to yourself after normal opening hours. You even get fizz and a mince pie!

I'm sure lots of indepedent traders are looking at innovative ways to serve their customers. Most of them love their shops and their communities ?

TheFrugalPiggy Sat 03-Oct-20 13:00:37

Newatthis I truly feel for you. I don't think I can add anymore wise words but I'm sending you my best wishes ?

MerylStreep Sat 03-Oct-20 13:08:52

Some years ago I didn't take down the garden lights down: I love them. I asked the neighbours if they minded and they said no, they loved them.
So I've had Xmas lights in the garden for years.
I always buy mine directly after Xmas. Lots lots cheaper.

craftyone Sat 03-Oct-20 13:21:10

I turned qvc on just now, they are doing christmas things. I don`t feel maudlin about christmas this year, many of us will be in a similar boat. Personally I am just going to get on with it, at least it is not a war as ww1 and ww2. We can stay safe and we have no rationing

I am on the lookout for an easy outdoor light of some sort, one I can put out and take in easily. Looking at the lights in the depths of winter can be so cheery

Sr69 Sat 03-Oct-20 13:39:00

If we can’t see family on Christmas Day we are going to pack a picnic and go off to the Lake District for the day and have a good walk, that’s providing we are allowed .

Davida1968 Sat 03-Oct-20 13:42:25

Many charity shops seem to have Christmas decorations for sale. (At times I've seen some stunningly lovely items.) I'd always start there before buying anywhere else.

Kim19 Sat 03-Oct-20 14:10:56

Is it definite that Christmas will be a no get together for even limited numbers? Seems that the situation changes from day to day and rightly so. I haven't given up hope but I'm certainly not worried about it either way much as I so enjoy the current celebrations I am usually included in. Guess I'm just an optimist. Sincerely hope so.