Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you feel about Winter?

(150 Posts)
Applegran Fri 02-Oct-20 17:10:48

I have a friend who begins to lament the approach of winter as soon as the nights begin to get longer and whose mood is low during much of the winter months. Yet I also know people who are equally cheerful winter and summer - and I recently saw an article about this which I found very interesting. One of the things they did was to talk to Norwegians who live within the Arctic Circle - they have winter days when there are only 2 or 3 hours - or fewer still - of pale sunlight. Many of them love winter! It turns out that this is largely to do with how they think about it - here are some examples of questions they were asked:

Which of the following statements best reflects your attitude to winter?

*There are many things to enjoy about the winter
*I love the cosiness of the winter months
*Winter brings many wonderful seasonal changes

Or

*Winter is boring
*Winter is a limiting time of year
*There are many things to dislike about winter

No surprises that the people who agreed with the positive statements about winter were also found to be happier and more cheerful. And of course, it isn't only our attitude to winter which affects our mood and feelings - lots of things can look different if we find another way to look at them. I turned around a fear of flying by changing how I thought about it - and it wasn't as hard as you might think, once I allowed myself to see the 'story' I was telling myself. I wonder how many gransnetters have found that changing the 'story' they tell themselves about something changes how they feel?

Nanna58 Sun 04-Oct-20 22:24:37

I loathe winter and begin to dread it from August onwards. Really have tried , but can’t find anything in its favour I’m afraid!!!

Granless Sun 04-Oct-20 21:30:58

I suppose it all depends on your circumstances. If you live alone , maybe you don’t get out as much, therefore feeling a little bit cut off. Maybe different if you have someone you can cosy up with or even cosy up with your dog. Different circumstances bring different opinions.

MrsRochester Sun 04-Oct-20 20:17:49

Generally, pretty good. Like crunchy grass, quiet streets, fog, long, dark evenings, open fires and the run up to Christmas.
Not so much this year. Anxious and wanting it to fly past with as little bad news as possible.

KaazaK Sun 04-Oct-20 20:01:55

Dislike it intensely! As soon as the clocks go back I start countdown to them going forward next year! Dark, dreary, miserable, cold - yuk! I know a shop that has already got all it’s Christmas stuff out and decorated for Christmas. I wish people would remember that Christmas is a very hard time for some people for many reasons - don’t spoil the joy for people who love the festive season but also be a little sensitive to those who don’t.

Springchick Sun 04-Oct-20 19:37:47

Feel the cold and grumble ?

Springchick Sun 04-Oct-20 19:36:01

Hi there is definitely beauty within every season , it’s all around us all year Long ! if you look at the spring we have the hope of warmer days to come , crocuses and daffodils make us smile, spring lambs , baby birds chirping loudly ! Even January we have the snow drops that braved the December icy winds but with determination kept their strength to bloom . I love snuggling up at home with a book in colder weather it’s cosy indoors with my cats purring next to me is so relaxing. The snow brings excitement even now I’m in my 60,s with memories of fun Times as a child . If the winter feels grey or dull, we can find a bit if sunshine in our memories filling our minds with comforting warmth and light . There is always the hope of a beautiful rainbow after a storm , it’s how we look at things , negatively or positively , I’m in awe of nature , we have squirrels outside cheerfully gathering their feasts for the winter , like them beautiful creatures we can either get on with the season to come or

jusnoneed Sun 04-Oct-20 18:42:08

I love the Autumn, Winter and Spring. Not a fan of the summer as I don't like being too hot.
The dark evenings when you can draw the curtains and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Noreen3 Sun 04-Oct-20 18:40:31

I don't like winter.I hate the long dark evenings.There's just too much Christmas everywhere when you go out.It's worse this year,no theatre trips to brighten up a dull afternoon.It's just so lonely by yourself

dontmindstayinghome Sun 04-Oct-20 18:32:26

I absolutely hate the Autumn because it means winter will soon be upon us! I like to go out walking and the soggy wet leaves and slippery pavements takes all of the pleasure out of it.

I really don't mind the cold, its the constant dull grey dampness during the day and the darkness morning and evening that really brings me down.

I'm with you on this one Bluebelle -I think I was born in the wrong country too. I used to tell my children that my stork had to make a crash landing on its way to a warmer drier climate!

SuzannahM Sun 04-Oct-20 18:23:41

I've worked for some years in both San Diego and Sydney.

I looked forward to loads of sunshine and warm weather before I moved to San Diego, and loved waking up to sunny blue skies in the morning. However, by the time my first year was up I was badly missing the seasons. Apart from about two months of mist and drizzle and colder temperatures San Diego was always warm and sunny. No green buds on palm trees sad. Yes they have new branches, but they still just look like the same palm trees. No bulbs shooting through the earth. No leaves dropping and changes of colour through autumn. Sydney was much the same. It made me realise how much I missed the different seasons, even the cold.
My drive has been covered in acorns for the last month or so, and when they finish there will be leaf clearing for another two months. I still swear as I sweep them up but by April I'll be looking forward to seeing the trees covered in fresh green leaves.

Sarahmob Sun 04-Oct-20 18:14:45

I don’t mind the weather, quite like cold, frosty walks, but I have to admit to not being keen on dark mornings and evenings. I look for the extending of daylight in February with anticipation.

Bridie22 Sun 04-Oct-20 18:04:30

Thats brilliant work " grannyactivist, well done.
I hate the cold,dark, grey days of winter and find it depressing, spring can never come quick enough for me.

MerylStreep Sun 04-Oct-20 17:44:07

I don't mind the weather. It's the clothes. I don't like wrapping up.

cassandra264 Sun 04-Oct-20 17:38:04

When I was of working age, in winter I sometimes had to drive across difficult and unlit roads in snowy, stormy and icy conditions to do my job.

I am so grateful not to have the worry and stress of this any more and on bad weather days to be able to choose to stay indoors in the warm with a mug of hot chocolate!

I empathise with grannyactivist and her celebrations though - have been a Centrepoint supporter for over quarter of a century. Things are not going to get any better - for jobless and homeless young people especially - this coming season.

Helen59 Sun 04-Oct-20 16:35:14

Summer is okay for a while but I struggle with the heat a lot. Winter is so much better for me. I love getting home on a freezing cold day and snuggling up with a blanket and a hot cuppa. Plus Christmas is my favorite holiday season. The whole 3-4 months are a magical time for me (well maybe not this year).

Moggycuddler Sun 04-Oct-20 16:23:56

I like winter best. Cosy dark nights and not hot and uncomfortable. No work to do in the garden and no noise from nuisance people having outdoor parties and barbecues!

grannyactivist Sun 04-Oct-20 16:17:09

Autumn and winter are wonderful seasons. I love bringing in the last of the harvest and then enjoying the preparation for the festivities to come. Snuggled up by a cosy fire, with candles lit and a home-made liqueur to sip whilst chatting to my husband are simple pleasures I love.

Sadly the cosy evenings I spend at home are nowadays marred by worrying about the homeless people I'm supporting who are dealing with nights on the street in cold, wet weather. sad

I'm celebrating today though because recently we have found accommodation for four homeless people - one of them has been homeless, off and on, for thirty five years and tomorrow he gets the keys to his first ever council flat. I think I'm just as excited as he is. grin

lizzypopbottle Sun 04-Oct-20 15:36:15

I'm not keen on the cold weather but, after the shortest day in December, the days start lengthening again and we have festivals of light to look forward to in the meantime, Diwali, Hanukkah, Christmas. After that, the only way is up. Look at it that way!

M0nica Sun 04-Oct-20 15:32:33

How do I leave about winter (and autumn)? Love it, love it, love it.

Even though I feel the cold and have Raynaud's Syndrome in my fingers, I just love cuddling up in warm wooly clothes, going out in the cold and coming home in the warmth. I love winter soups and stews and would sooner go on a winter cruise to Norway than a summer cruise to the Caribbean.

I do not mind the rain and the grey because it means that summer, summer clothes and the dull summer landscape has gone to be replace by the glories of autumn (absolutely my favourite season) and fascinating landscape that is winter.

CBBL Sun 04-Oct-20 15:31:39

We are shortly moving to the north of Scotland, as the summers here (in Lincolnshire) are just too hot for my hubby, who has skin cancer and asthma. He is desperate to see the Northern Lights! We are moving to a village which has a harbour with daily Ferry Services to the Orkney Isles, as well as a lovely beach. Even though it's likely to be "dreich" on many days (and more likely, weeks), I love the sound of the sea, and we'll be watching for whales and dolphins, in the hours of light we do get.

Bijou Sun 04-Oct-20 15:12:43

I hate the winter. Have poor circulation and never seem to get warm. I love the outdoors and I hate being bundled up with loads of clothes.

cupcake1 Sun 04-Oct-20 15:07:44

Hate the winter with a passion. I can feel my mood drop just thinking about it. Dark gloomy days long evenings and nights and to top it all Christmas. No I’m not a fan, far to much hype, rubbish tv and money spent for two days of over indulgence. I love seeing the family but really don’t enjoy the preparation and cooking that goes with it. To top it all myself and DH have birthdays in January! Shouldn’t wish my life away but roll on those glorious days of spring.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 04-Oct-20 14:56:22

I love the winter, especially if we get frost. I don't much care for rain.

Winter = Christmas = good food, a tree to decorate, love it all.

Jillybird Sun 04-Oct-20 14:30:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

elleks Sun 04-Oct-20 14:12:38

I like bright, crisp winter days. I used to hate dark mornings and evenings, but I retired this year so I won't have to go out in them now!