Gransnet forums

Chat

Robert Lacey and another H & M book.

(27 Posts)
Bluebellwould Sat 03-Oct-20 09:37:29

Anyone read the bits in the DM today? Much more critical of everyone involved imho. What, if anything, do you make of it?

25Avalon Mon 05-Oct-20 15:18:03

Grrroooaaann! Someone making or hoping to make money again. I read the extracts in the DM - couldn’t help myself. Gives us something to think about apart from Covid I suppose. It’s a kind of compulsive voyeurism. Certainly Harry comes across as having mental health problems especially from the comments of his previous girlfriend. Meghan told him what he wanted to hear.

Lucca Mon 05-Oct-20 15:13:46

Exactly. The title is wrong. But it will develop along the usual lines.

Ellianne Mon 05-Oct-20 15:10:45

Lucca

Perhaps we could just copy and paste all the stuff from the Uh Uh Harry thread which is still running..,.

I think this thread got off to the wrong start with the OP's title. It would have been better to have said the W & H book.

trisher Mon 05-Oct-20 14:59:39

Uncle Andrew- you know the one that has such an ideal life mixing with paedophiles and having sex with young girls.
Great Aunt Margaret- Married a philanderer, divorced, alcoholic with penchant for young men, socialite, once described as liking "Cheap men and expensive bottles"
When you fall in love there is often an underlying need.

Lucca Mon 05-Oct-20 14:54:46

Perhaps we could just copy and paste all the stuff from the Uh Uh Harry thread which is still running..,.

Lucca Mon 05-Oct-20 14:53:35

Calendar girl you may be right ! Who knows.

Lucca Mon 05-Oct-20 14:52:39

The book in question is about William and harry not just Meghan....

Anniebach Mon 05-Oct-20 13:55:12

Picked Meg so he could jump ship ? I thought they were madly in love , all that eye gazing and hand holding .

He used Meg because he didn’t have the guts to just walk away? , shame on him

Anniebach Mon 05-Oct-20 13:52:32

Which uncle and great aunt ?

His uncles are Andrew, Edward and Charles Spencer

Great aunt - Margaret , no idea who his great aunts are in his
mothers family

trisher Mon 05-Oct-20 13:24:24

Of course H may simply have been looking at the damage the RF did to his mother, his uncle and his great aunt, decided he didn't want to finish up like any of them and picked M so he could jump ship. His brother might have wanted to do the same but not had the nerve. Family relationships are never as simple as they appear.

Calendargirl Mon 05-Oct-20 13:17:33

I’m reading ‘The American Duchess’, a biography of the Duchess of Windsor. It’s very interesting, and you can see certain similarities re the Sussexes.

Harry of course wasn’t a King, and he didn’t have to abdicate, but similarities are there in that they both wanted the privileges of Royal life, but with a pick and mix approach to the responsibilities.

And of course, the divorce factor was paramount 80 odd years ago.

NotSpaghetti Mon 05-Oct-20 11:37:43

Merlotgran, think this was, from what I read, to provide a "normal" year or two as she had enjoyed her two years in Malta in the early days of her own marriage.

NotTooOld Mon 05-Oct-20 11:34:59

Harry's stuck, isn't he? I reckon the penny has dropped now and he realises his mistakes but if he upped sticks and came home I reckon M would not come with him, so he would probably lose his son. Should he stay or should he go? H should have listened to his brother's wise words before he ever popped the question.

jaylucy Mon 05-Oct-20 11:28:07

Oh please! If you are not interested , you have a choice whether to read it or not !
Just don't come on here and moan!

merlotgran Mon 05-Oct-20 11:26:02

I think I'm more intrigued by the report that the Queen had a secret plan to pack H&M off to Africa in the hope they would -shut up find happiness. grin

The equivalent of the Duke of Windsor being sent to the Bahamas I suppose.

Shame they scuppered that one by their crass bleating about their own hardships at the end of their SA tour.

NotTooOld Mon 05-Oct-20 11:13:55

Well, I'm all for a bit of gossip and scandal. It lightens these Covid times.

Calendargirl Mon 05-Oct-20 10:23:14

Lucca

Calendargirl

Well, they are more interesting than most of the other posts Lucca

?

Other threads you mean ? Well more interesting than dishcloths I suppose, but then again ......

Now I’m not trying to be awkward Lucca, but there were comments the other day about threads and posts, can’t remember where, but I mentioned ‘posts’ because I think some original posts are rather silly, and I thought it was said that ‘threads’ were comments about a ‘post’.

If I have got the wrong end of the stick, (often do), I still think that certain posts/threads are not very interesting nowadays.

Ellianne Mon 05-Oct-20 09:43:37

Isn’t the book mostly about William and Harry in fact ?
Yes, Lucca, it is called The Battle of the Brothers.
I do wish The Queen were around in public to deflect some of this attention. I don't mean by adding her twopence worth, but by stoically leading by example. She would busy herself with good causes and make it seem there are far more important things to worry about. As it is, Charles isn't very visible at the moment either, so it falls to William and Harry to receive all the attention, good or bad.

Lucca Mon 05-Oct-20 08:06:05

Calendargirl

?

Other threads you mean ? Well more interesting than dishcloths I suppose, but then again ......

Lucca Mon 05-Oct-20 08:04:40

Isn’t the book mostly about William and Harry in fact ? Libby Purves in The Times slams it as mostly made up with journalistic tricks used such as putting a supposition with a fact “ harry aNd Meghan were seething as their British Airways flight landed two hours late”. Fact is plane was late. The “seething” bit is guesswork.
but that won’t stop many from taking it as gospel

Calendargirl Mon 05-Oct-20 07:10:21

?

Lucca Sun 04-Oct-20 22:12:07

Please please please not another h and m bashing thread

Ohmother Sun 04-Oct-20 21:56:52

I’ve enjoyed reading the extract in Saturday’s paper. A friend is saving Sunday’s for me. What a manipulative, controller M is.

welbeck Sun 04-Oct-20 01:11:51

well, it's hardly surprising.
refusing to go to sandringham for xmas with HM was a great slight, and it just went downhill from there.
he was after all an officer in HM's forces, pledged to serve his sovereign lady the Queen.
can you imagine any other officer turning down an invitation to spend xmas with the queen; no thanks, got better things to do. come on !
play up, and play the game.

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-20 00:00:08

Sorry, haven't even noticed it!