Gransnet forums

Chat

Songs that make you cry

(103 Posts)
returnofflyinghandbag Sat 03-Oct-20 22:34:40

Hi all,
Mine are Memories by Maroon 5, Bridge over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel, Somewhere only we know by Lilly Allen, the Elbow version of Golden Slumbers, If I Could Fly by One Direction and If You Leave Me Now by Chicago.
What's yours? X

sparklingsilver28 Mon 05-Oct-20 17:58:57

Sassenach512 "Stardust" dear Nat King Cole - his voice caresses the soul. My H would sing this to me.

lilypollen Mon 05-Oct-20 18:44:42

Memory, Elaine Paige and Careless Whisper, George Michael.
Jerusalem because it was our school hymn.

tickingbird Mon 05-Oct-20 19:09:46

When You Were Sweet Sixteen- The Fureys.

I Can’t Help Falling In Love With You - Elvis.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 05-Oct-20 19:25:34

Different corner George Michael, Dance with my father played at my dads funeral, ( Luther Vandross) my heart will go on Celine Dion. Everybody hurts Rem, Something inside So strong, labs Siffre. The list goes on

BradfordLass73 Tue 06-Oct-20 02:02:46

Bye, bye Blackbird

glammagran Tue 06-Oct-20 20:01:58

Brave Captain of the Sky by Big Big Train. It about a very young pilot shot down in WW2. Beautifully sung and was performed in Germany 2 years ago at a music festival. The audience were stunned but very enthusiastic in their appreciation. After all, it happened to their young men too.

MrsRochester Tue 06-Oct-20 20:05:58

Nick Drake, Riverman

Forever linked with my husband. He’s still with me! But if he isn’t one day, this will be the one.

MrsRochester Tue 06-Oct-20 20:08:39

(Version with full orchestra)

Rainwashed Tue 06-Oct-20 20:40:24

What colour is the wind, Charlie Landsborough
Honey, Bobby Goldsboro
Make you feel my love, Adele

paddyanne Tue 06-Oct-20 21:23:49

Runrigs version of Loch Lomond ,saw them live on the shores many years ago and it was magic.Its the song that usually ends the festivities at a Scottish wedding around 1am when we've all had a couple of drinks and are sentimental.Well Loch Lomond is home and nobody sings it better than Runrig

paddyanne Tue 06-Oct-20 21:25:43

Should really have said saw them on The Bonnie Banks ,I met an American couple on the banks of LL they were saying how they had seen the Maid,the steamer.The Ben ,the mountain but could I show them where the Bonnie Banks were and WHAT were they ...lo

Calendargirl Thu 15-Oct-20 07:13:43

Just listening to ‘ The Last Rose Of Summer’ on the radio. Doesn’t make me cry, but oh, so poignant at this time of year.

‘We’ll Gather Lilacs’ makes me feel the same in springtime.

DillytheGardener Thu 15-Oct-20 07:23:38

Roberta Flack first time

Calendargirl Mon 26-Oct-20 06:56:40

Not a song, but the music from ‘Emma’.

Just listening to it, don’t know why, but makes me tearful.

suzette1613 Mon 26-Oct-20 07:33:40

‘Scarlet ribbons‘, an old and sentimental song.
I found myself singing it the other day, no idea why as l hadn’t heard it again anywhere.
Brings a tear to my eye though..

kittylester Mon 26-Oct-20 08:19:38

Oh yes, suzette, I echo that -especially by Harry Belafonte

Spangler Mon 26-Oct-20 08:27:00

When we honour the fallen on poppy day, inevitably you will hear Vera Lynn singing: "We'll Meet Again." It used to make me emotional until my mother-in-law told me that during the war, rationing caused so much scarcity, they had to make do with things like whale.

She also said that during the war "We'll Meet Again," got dubbed: "Whale Meat Again." Mother-in-law passed away a few years ago, but I still smile now and think of her whenever I hear the strains of that song.

Galaxy Mon 26-Oct-20 08:33:12

Oh scarlet ribbons. My dad listened to a lot of country and western when I was a child so any of that makes me cry, the more corny the better. There is a current country and western song about the pandemic called six feet apart which makes me cry.

Lancslass1 Mon 26-Oct-20 08:45:19

"You'll never walk alone" by Gerry and the Pacemakers.
Not the best version but certainly the most moving.

EllanVannin Mon 26-Oct-20 08:49:27

The latest rendition which was on BBC news this morning. The composer is the elderly dementia sufferer, Paul and I think it's called Paul's Song. It's beautiful piano playing to which a full orchestra was streamed in with it. Wonderful.

suzette1613 Mon 26-Oct-20 09:26:10

Yes EllanVannin, a beautiful piece of music with a moving story to it.
I ‘ve thought of another old song that makes me well up,
‘The Three Bells’ by The Browns, does anyone remember them?
Now we have YouTube we can revisit many memories!

Spangler Mon 26-Oct-20 09:34:06

Galaxy Mon 26-Oct-20 08:33:12
Oh scarlet ribbons. My dad listened to a lot of country and western when I was a child so any of that makes me cry, the more corny the better.

Galaxy, if you like corny, you'll love Hank Thompson:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e9gZ9fyoZg
And it gets even more corny when Kitty Wells retaliates:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKleTa94dC8

Grannybags Mon 26-Oct-20 09:41:18

Over the sea to Skye.

My Dad used to sing it to get me to sleep!

PinkCakes Mon 26-Oct-20 14:48:21

Thank You for the Days by Kirsty McColl. I had this played at my mum's funeral.

Grannyboots1 Mon 26-Oct-20 16:01:23

12th of Never - Johnny Mathis. It was my mother’s favourite.