Gransnet forums

Chat

What's the clumsiest thing you've done recently?

(35 Posts)
Helen59 Mon 05-Oct-20 18:42:09

Mine was on Saturday, I was sat at the kitchen table on a video call chatting to my sister. I was in the midst of explaining something and when I do that I always flail my arms for some unknown reason. Well anyway I caught my glass of water and knocked it into my lap. Played it cool and sat in wet jeans for the last 10 minutes of the chat. Think I got away with that one, my sister didn't notice (I think).

I also stubbed my toe on a door frame sometime last week, which is still a little sore now.

Hope you've all had a good day so far, Helen xx

annodomini Tue 06-Oct-20 19:59:54

I'm sure MayBee70 is right in saying that we don't lift our feet up the way we did when we were younger. After my series of falls last year, DSs told advised me to look where I was putting my feet. Touch wood, I've been OK so far this year. I am wary about walking on the pavement on this street as the surface is disgraceful and I fear for the numbers of older people like me who use it.

SueDonim Tue 06-Oct-20 19:06:34

These accidents! shock and grin

My latest was the other day when I dropped one of my sharp kitchen knives. I stupidly went to catch it, which I did successfully - by the blade! Luckily, I’ve still got my thumb. ?

bikergran Tue 06-Oct-20 16:30:09

Almost 2 pints of milk spilled in front footwell of car,I was bring the milk home ,had already opened it at my dds I thought! must check the top!

Worse was I couldn't stop as was going round a roundabout and the milk swirling around like a blooming milk shake.

Thought I had got rid of the smell but this damp weather seems to have brought it back hmm

Kalu Tue 06-Oct-20 12:37:44

Spilled hot coffee on a pair of white jeans at the start of an overnight ferry crossing. I pleaded with a staff member to allow me to go down to our car for a change of jeans. I chose a female staff member hoping she would be more sympathetic to my emergency and thankfully she was.

Decided to pour some bleach into a toilet bowl and the bleach splashed on an expensive pair of black trousers. What was I thinking??

Namsnanny Tue 06-Oct-20 12:27:40

I was very grateful that none of my neighbours saw me fall!

Yes you feel such a twerp dont you?grin

MayBee70 Tue 06-Oct-20 12:16:57

I trip over all the time. I was discussing it with a friend and we decided it was because we no longer left our feet as high as we used to (ie old persons shuffle) but our brains still think we are lifting them as high. I, too fell down the stairs and still can’t believe I got away with it. And also tripped on a raised platform in a shop: moved forward to look closer at something and crashed into the floor. Had to do the usual pretend I was perfectly ok whilst knowing that I was going to be black and blue the next day. And felt very stupid.

Teacheranne Tue 06-Oct-20 10:56:46

Namsnanny

Oh Teacheranne that sounds awful!!
Did you take the same taxi back to hospital?

No, I just went to bed! I'd broken a toe previously so knew there was nothing the hospital would do! I got told off by my sister for not phoning her but I knew she was at work several miles away so thought a taxi would be quicker. I was very grateful that none of my neighbours saw me fall!

larry5 Tue 06-Oct-20 10:14:29

My last accident was when we were only holiday in Devon in August and we went to Dartmeet. Sil went for a paddle in the river and I thought I would join him but as I was climbing over rocks to get down I put my foot in a gap and fell onto a flat rock onto the side of my leg. I ended up with a bruise from my knee to my ankle.

Dh’s comment was that I was too old to climb over rocks which was completely unhelpful particularly as I don’t feel old in my head (I am 68).

Callistemon Tue 06-Oct-20 10:02:21

It's on my records now and I hope no-one forgets!

NanTheWiser Tue 06-Oct-20 10:00:32

Callistemon, I have never had a problem with penicillin ABs in the past (taken for various infections) and I’m wondering if it was the actual capsule that caused the problem, as I find it difficult to swallow large capsules, but it was quite scary. As it was prescribed as a preventive for infection, I decided not to take any further medication.

trustgone4sure Tue 06-Oct-20 09:32:56

Whilst taking my dh a cup of tea to drink in bed i tripped up the stairs and the tea went up in the air and landed on my head.
After alot of cussing and washing my hair i did see the funny side,but not for a few hours.
Dh thought it was hilarious,he nearly wore the second cup.

tanith Tue 06-Oct-20 09:21:13

Thanks Callistemon I’m fine bruises nearly gone now, Namsnanny it’s my own fault I never hold the banister and had no shoes on so my foot slipped but I was only halfway down so it was very shocking I think I was lucky to get away so lightly. OH was always telling me to hold the bloody banister, I do now ?.

Froglady Tue 06-Oct-20 09:10:37

Last week was mine. I always have a bottle of pop by my bed as I get thirsty in the night. For the first time ever I fell asleep while drinking from the bottle! I think the bottle falling onto the floor woke me up. Worse thing was that the bottle contained either Coke or dandelion and burdock - not the best thing to drop on you. It soaked me, my pyjamas, my bottom sheet (just a bit went on the fluffy underblanket thankfully) and my duvet. I didn't realise until the morning how much of my duvet was wet from the drink and it was badly stained as well. Have to extra careful now while having a drink in the night.

sodapop Tue 06-Oct-20 09:06:12

I am really clumsy and always breaking things, my husband says his role in life is to go round behind me repairing things.
I invariably have bruises on my arms and legs with no recollection of how I got them.

FannyCornforth Tue 06-Oct-20 02:46:45

Not recently, but I once shut my head in the car door.

Georgesgran Tue 06-Oct-20 01:29:23

Not recently - but one night DH and I stayed up to watch an episode of CSI NY. At 1.00am, went off to bed and I quickly straightened the room up etc. Didn’t want to disturb him by putting on the lights, so undressed on the landing in the dark, put my nightie on and stepped into the darkness - straight down the stairs!
DH didn’t wake, so I waited until 6am and he took me to A&E where an x-ray revealed a broken radius and ulna. Plastered up and no driving for 8 weeks! All because I was being thoughtful.

Namsnanny Mon 05-Oct-20 23:28:26

Oh Teacheranne that sounds awful!!
Did you take the same taxi back to hospital?

Callistemon Mon 05-Oct-20 23:23:52

Take care everybody.....and take more water with it! ?
Yes, my coffee was rather too strong!

Namsnanny Mon 05-Oct-20 23:19:45

Wow NanTheWiser! Thank goodness your daughter was available. smile

tanith ... the stairs are an on going problem in my house too. We've put two yes two hand rails (one each side) because I've broken a few bones falling down them!!
You would have thought by my age I would have mastered the art of descending stairs by now!!
Try arnica for the bruises, I havent used it myself but others say it works.

Helen54...hope your toe is now ok?

Yes thank you Callistemon could have been worse!

Callistemon Mon 05-Oct-20 22:57:25

The flucloxacillin made my throat burn like hell and swell up until I couldn’t swallow, so I knocked that on the head (see what I did there!) and also decided not to take the clarithromycin prescribed as an alternative, as the side effects were likely to be even worse!

NantheWiser I was given flucloxacillin when I was being discharged from hospital a few years ag; luckily they got me to try one first and my mouth, tongue, lips started swelling up, it was very frightening. The nurses came running and I've never seen anyone jam a cannula back in so quickly and hey presto, I was back on a drip.
The clarithromycin was fine btw.

Teacheranne Mon 05-Oct-20 22:54:29

After a day spent in A&E for checks following chest pains
( turned out to be gastric flu) I had to get a taxi home dressed in pyjamas and dressing gown. I was so embarrassed when I got home that I ran from the taxi to my front door and tripped on the little porch step, bashed my toe as only had slippers on and fell against the door. I ended up with massive bruises on my shins and a broken toe!

lemongrove Mon 05-Oct-20 22:51:07

Lex ?

Take care everybody.....and take more water with it!?

Lexisgranny Mon 05-Oct-20 22:47:13

Gosh you could all give another regular Gransnetter a run for her money!

NanTheWiser Mon 05-Oct-20 22:41:47

Same as tanith, exactly a week ago. I sort of skidded off the bottom two steps of the stairs, and cracked my head on the edge of the door frame, lots of ?! Called 111, and told to go to A&E, phoned my daughter, who kindly took me there, and waited 3 hours to be seen. The cut was glued, an anti tetanus jab was given and I was handed a 5day course of flucloxacillin as a prophylactic.
The flucloxacillin made my throat burn like hell and swell up until I couldn’t swallow, so I knocked that on the head (see what I did there!) and also decided not to take the clarithromycin prescribed as an alternative, as the side effects were likely to be even worse!
Quite an eventful week, but I was pleased to be able to wash my hair today, it was getting a bit manky, and there are still bits of glue in it.

Callistemon Mon 05-Oct-20 19:53:48

Oh dear, tanith, hope you're ok

And everyone else of course