Gransnet forums

Chat

What's the clumsiest thing you've done recently?

(34 Posts)
Helen59 Mon 05-Oct-20 18:42:09

Mine was on Saturday, I was sat at the kitchen table on a video call chatting to my sister. I was in the midst of explaining something and when I do that I always flail my arms for some unknown reason. Well anyway I caught my glass of water and knocked it into my lap. Played it cool and sat in wet jeans for the last 10 minutes of the chat. Think I got away with that one, my sister didn't notice (I think).

I also stubbed my toe on a door frame sometime last week, which is still a little sore now.

Hope you've all had a good day so far, Helen xx

Lucca Mon 05-Oct-20 18:44:39

At the risk of sounding like someone else....on FaceTime to grandson I made some kind of gesture and knocked tea on table, floor, trousers, chair but fortunately not on I pad. Amused DGS no end.

Grandmabatty Mon 05-Oct-20 18:46:37

Spilled an entire cup of coffee lifting it from the machine. It went all over units, washing machine, shoes, floor and worktop. I was mopping it up for ages and smelling it for days.

Juliet27 Mon 05-Oct-20 18:53:09

Knocked my coffee all over me and the stranger next to me in Pret A Manger ?

MawB2 Mon 05-Oct-20 19:00:46

Only a nearly but I went out with the dog to post birthday cards to my sons-in-law who have birthdays two days apart.
The post box is next to the dog poo bin, fractionally beyond it, and, yes, I had got as far as opening the lid before I stopped myself!

tanith Mon 05-Oct-20 19:15:05

Fell down the stairs battered and bruised though thankfully nothing broken although my bruises were spectacular.

Lucca Mon 05-Oct-20 19:24:55

As a matter of fact I just dropped a blob of hummus on my I pad.....

Namsnanny Mon 05-Oct-20 19:32:32

Kicked the leg of the plastic garden chair as I was about to sit down on (blasted clogs which I havent worn for ages stuck out more than I bargained for!!).

Tea up in the air, cup crashing into pieces on the patio, me up ended and soaked. Knee kicked over tall pot, which of course tumbled down steps and broke.

As it did so it knocked the head off of a statue, which shot up a couple of feet in the air, and as they say, what goes up must come down - right on my noggin!

My husband came out to see what all the noise was about, and said ''What are you doing down there?''

The chair is a write off. The clogs are in the bin. My knee is sporting a graze, my head has a lump and my husband is in the dog house grin (not really!)

Callistemon Mon 05-Oct-20 19:52:04

Nearly fell today - the washing machine door was open, I caught myself on it, nearly tipped head first into the laundry basket but managed to clutch on to the recharging vacuum cleaner which luckily remained attached to the wall.

Callistemon Mon 05-Oct-20 19:53:48

Oh dear, tanith, hope you're ok

And everyone else of course

NanTheWiser Mon 05-Oct-20 22:41:47

Same as tanith, exactly a week ago. I sort of skidded off the bottom two steps of the stairs, and cracked my head on the edge of the door frame, lots of ?! Called 111, and told to go to A&E, phoned my daughter, who kindly took me there, and waited 3 hours to be seen. The cut was glued, an anti tetanus jab was given and I was handed a 5day course of flucloxacillin as a prophylactic.
The flucloxacillin made my throat burn like hell and swell up until I couldn’t swallow, so I knocked that on the head (see what I did there!) and also decided not to take the clarithromycin prescribed as an alternative, as the side effects were likely to be even worse!
Quite an eventful week, but I was pleased to be able to wash my hair today, it was getting a bit manky, and there are still bits of glue in it.

Lexisgranny Mon 05-Oct-20 22:47:13

Gosh you could all give another regular Gransnetter a run for her money!

lemongrove Mon 05-Oct-20 22:51:07

Lex ?

Take care everybody.....and take more water with it!?

Teacheranne Mon 05-Oct-20 22:54:29

After a day spent in A&E for checks following chest pains
( turned out to be gastric flu) I had to get a taxi home dressed in pyjamas and dressing gown. I was so embarrassed when I got home that I ran from the taxi to my front door and tripped on the little porch step, bashed my toe as only had slippers on and fell against the door. I ended up with massive bruises on my shins and a broken toe!

Callistemon Mon 05-Oct-20 22:57:25

The flucloxacillin made my throat burn like hell and swell up until I couldn’t swallow, so I knocked that on the head (see what I did there!) and also decided not to take the clarithromycin prescribed as an alternative, as the side effects were likely to be even worse!

NantheWiser I was given flucloxacillin when I was being discharged from hospital a few years ag; luckily they got me to try one first and my mouth, tongue, lips started swelling up, it was very frightening. The nurses came running and I've never seen anyone jam a cannula back in so quickly and hey presto, I was back on a drip.
The clarithromycin was fine btw.

Namsnanny Mon 05-Oct-20 23:19:45

Wow NanTheWiser! Thank goodness your daughter was available. smile

tanith ... the stairs are an on going problem in my house too. We've put two yes two hand rails (one each side) because I've broken a few bones falling down them!!
You would have thought by my age I would have mastered the art of descending stairs by now!!
Try arnica for the bruises, I havent used it myself but others say it works.

Helen54...hope your toe is now ok?

Yes thank you Callistemon could have been worse!

Callistemon Mon 05-Oct-20 23:23:52

Take care everybody.....and take more water with it! ?
Yes, my coffee was rather too strong!

Namsnanny Mon 05-Oct-20 23:28:26

Oh Teacheranne that sounds awful!!
Did you take the same taxi back to hospital?

Georgesgran Tue 06-Oct-20 01:29:23

Not recently - but one night DH and I stayed up to watch an episode of CSI NY. At 1.00am, went off to bed and I quickly straightened the room up etc. Didn’t want to disturb him by putting on the lights, so undressed on the landing in the dark, put my nightie on and stepped into the darkness - straight down the stairs!
DH didn’t wake, so I waited until 6am and he took me to A&E where an x-ray revealed a broken radius and ulna. Plastered up and no driving for 8 weeks! All because I was being thoughtful.

FannyCornforth Tue 06-Oct-20 02:46:45

Not recently, but I once shut my head in the car door.

sodapop Tue 06-Oct-20 09:06:12

I am really clumsy and always breaking things, my husband says his role in life is to go round behind me repairing things.
I invariably have bruises on my arms and legs with no recollection of how I got them.

Froglady Tue 06-Oct-20 09:10:37

Last week was mine. I always have a bottle of pop by my bed as I get thirsty in the night. For the first time ever I fell asleep while drinking from the bottle! I think the bottle falling onto the floor woke me up. Worse thing was that the bottle contained either Coke or dandelion and burdock - not the best thing to drop on you. It soaked me, my pyjamas, my bottom sheet (just a bit went on the fluffy underblanket thankfully) and my duvet. I didn't realise until the morning how much of my duvet was wet from the drink and it was badly stained as well. Have to extra careful now while having a drink in the night.

tanith Tue 06-Oct-20 09:21:13

Thanks Callistemon I’m fine bruises nearly gone now, Namsnanny it’s my own fault I never hold the banister and had no shoes on so my foot slipped but I was only halfway down so it was very shocking I think I was lucky to get away so lightly. OH was always telling me to hold the bloody banister, I do now ?.

trustgone4sure Tue 06-Oct-20 09:32:56

Whilst taking my dh a cup of tea to drink in bed i tripped up the stairs and the tea went up in the air and landed on my head.
After alot of cussing and washing my hair i did see the funny side,but not for a few hours.
Dh thought it was hilarious,he nearly wore the second cup.

NanTheWiser Tue 06-Oct-20 10:00:32

Callistemon, I have never had a problem with penicillin ABs in the past (taken for various infections) and I’m wondering if it was the actual capsule that caused the problem, as I find it difficult to swallow large capsules, but it was quite scary. As it was prescribed as a preventive for infection, I decided not to take any further medication.