Gransnet forums

Chat

Dangly glasses

(53 Posts)
watermeadow Fri 09-Oct-20 14:09:25

I’ve just had a cataract removed and no longer need my varifocal glasses but I need my old reading glasses to see everything closer than 6’ away. After 6 weeks I can get new glasses but meanwhile I need to put them off and on constantly.
I’ve got them on a chain round my neck but they dangle in the way and get splashed or marked. Driving me mad. Is there an alternative to a granny chain?

chelseababy Sun 11-Oct-20 14:44:35

Loads of "spectacle holder brooches" on Ebay!

rowyn Sun 11-Oct-20 11:57:08

No real solution, but after my cataract op in July ( lucky me too - having waited 18 months though) I ended up wearing my glasses on my head a lot of the time until getting new glasses. . Can't count the number of times I searched for them before remembering where they were!
And talking of glasses on head - I find I'm often doing that in the supermarket whilst wearing a face mask. They steam up! Anyone got a solution to that one?

Eloethan Sun 11-Oct-20 00:10:50

watermeadow I'm forever getting trouble from my family because I'm always losing my glasses. My husband says "you should always put them in the same place" but he only needs glasses to read so that's an easier rule to follow. When you need them for distance but not for reading, you have to keeping taking them off and putting them on.

I've just tried the spectacle chains but they are a nuisance too. Might try the brooch idea. Preferably, I'd rather have the lens change op but I don't think I could bring myself to spend so much money.

MissAdventure Sat 10-Oct-20 20:25:20

Notinthemanual

Do you know, I had never thought of that! smile
Thank you. I'm now wearing a pair with the lenses and bridge all in one. Genius!

Gransooz Sat 10-Oct-20 20:21:05

I got varifocals before I needed them because I was so fed up losing them at work, leaving them somewhere and then having to hunt for them. I had a chain for a while but when I bent over the glasses would get caught in something and keep me from straightening back up!
My DH had a cataract removed when he was in his early 50s and since then his varifocals on that side are clear at the top and full prescription on the other side. It works! ??

annodomini Sat 10-Oct-20 19:29:48

When I first needed reading glasses, I had half-moons which I carried on a cord - not a chain - and I was years away from being a granny. grin

grumppa Sat 10-Oct-20 19:14:04

When they were introduced about 60 years ago they were called spec cords or spec chains. No self-respecting optician would have referred to them as granny chains - a dreadful name.

KathrynP Sat 10-Oct-20 18:45:22

I had mine lasered and after wearing glasses for 31 years it was liberating. Had it done 28 years ago and never regretted it. When I wear sunglasses I tend to tuck one arm down my cleavage, haven’t lost them yet!

Grannynannywanny Sat 10-Oct-20 15:26:38

Good news if your glasses steam up while wearing a mask?

ExaltedWombat Sat 10-Oct-20 15:17:50

Is the real problem that you see it as a 'Granny chain'?

I first needed reading glasses around age 40, and have had them on a string round my neck ever since. Practical, and by no means geriatric.

EmilyHarburn Sat 10-Oct-20 14:31:34

I have worn glasses since the age of 11. I asked for short sight when I had my cataracts removed so that I could read in the shower which bottle is the conditioner and which one the shampoo. Also I wanted to be able to read and thread a needle without glasses. This means I can go about my work in the house and pick up my glasses by my computer. I have these on a pretty necklace chain. When I am doing housework, I wear and apron and if I need to take them off I put them in the pocket. Or if it opening the oven let them dangle behind the apron bib for a few minutes.

Veejay61 Sat 10-Oct-20 13:58:55

I agree with Jaxjacky, bifocals with a clear top part and reading part at the bottom. I use glasses like this at work as I was fed up of taking them on and off.

Tweedle24 Sat 10-Oct-20 13:58:33

For years I have had monovision contacts — distance lens in one eye and reading in the other, My short-sightedness for some reason suddenly decided to cure itself (quite a surprise to the optician as well as me). I now just wear the one contact for reading. It works a treat and is cheaper than paying for two lenses too.

GrammarGrandma Sat 10-Oct-20 13:56:01

I have a wide range of "granny chains" to match any outfit. They are not at all grannified. But I now only wear them indoors, but put my reading glasses, plus "chain" in a case in my handbag when going out.

suttonJ Sat 10-Oct-20 13:50:27

I LOVE my dangly glasses. When the alternative is that you can't see/read properly without the ability to swiftly take them on and off as required, you soon learn to accept and love them. Best invention ever.

LauraNorder Sat 10-Oct-20 13:42:32

I never thought of wearing a safety pin. Have been doing it all morning with glasses safely tucked in. Great solution Rockgran, probably not the best look when dolled up but a pretty brooch would do the same.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 10-Oct-20 12:49:43

Shirt blouses with a breast pocket to keep your reading glasses in is my anwer.

gillyknits Sat 10-Oct-20 12:48:07

Have you looked at CliC glasses. They have a magnet that closes the lenses together over your nose and sit on a band round your neck (no dangling) Sorry couldn’t paste a link but try googling!

Jillybird Sat 10-Oct-20 11:58:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thisismyname1953 Sat 10-Oct-20 11:30:13

I only need glasses for distance so I only wear them for driving . They’re usually on my bedside table but I must admit I’m guilty of leaving them all over the house including the bathroom if that’s been my first stop when getting home grin

win Sat 10-Oct-20 11:12:31

S........s gave me the cheapest pair of glasses they could find for the interim period, I think I paid £ 20 and wore them whilst having both eyes done, until I could be tested and receive my proper glasses.

ExD Sat 10-Oct-20 11:08:36

I found driving my car difficult in varifocals since I stiffened up and couldn't turn my neck round very far. I live in the country and have to travel several miles down a one-track road/lane so reversing is an essential skill. There's a portion of lenses that's blurred at the corners, and even using the mirrors you need this bit of periferal vision in order to reverse accurately.
Contact lenses don't suit everyone.

Notinthemanual Sat 10-Oct-20 10:58:25

Misadventure got my bracket and asterixs confused

Kryptonite Sat 10-Oct-20 10:57:39

Never heard it called a 'granny chain' before. I once tried wearing one (not a chain) and my thoughtless work colleague said I looked "suitably middle aged". So of course I never wore it again. What is WRONG with people!!!

Notinthemanual Sat 10-Oct-20 10:57:03

[Missadventure] I used to have to cut my specs out of my hair, but I've changed to the ones with the 'nose bit' moulded into the frame. Just a thought...