Gransnet forums

Chat

Dangly glasses

(52 Posts)
watermeadow Fri 09-Oct-20 14:09:25

I’ve just had a cataract removed and no longer need my varifocal glasses but I need my old reading glasses to see everything closer than 6’ away. After 6 weeks I can get new glasses but meanwhile I need to put them off and on constantly.
I’ve got them on a chain round my neck but they dangle in the way and get splashed or marked. Driving me mad. Is there an alternative to a granny chain?

varian Fri 09-Oct-20 14:14:35

Is it not possible to get variofocals which serve as reading glasses without affecting distance vision?

Witzend Fri 09-Oct-20 14:27:18

I keep mine on my head when I don’t need them for reading. I have a spare pair which is flimsier and tends to fall off, though, so I’m not saying it works for every pair.
My usual ones do stay put.

Oopsadaisy4 Fri 09-Oct-20 14:34:23

Mine are on my head, all day....

rockgran Fri 09-Oct-20 14:35:44

If you wear a brooch you can usually put the leg of the specs through it. A safety pin does the job too.

sparklingsilver28 Fri 09-Oct-20 14:42:28

Varian is quite correct.

Suggest you might consider for the time being, a pair of cheap reading glasses from your local chemist/supermarket and put them on your granny chain.

After my cataract operation complete, I went to my optician for a pair of half reading glasses, He suggested a light weight fun glamorous red frame. I wear them on a chain, but permanently perched on my nose end so when driving and out-and-about can see clearly and able to read every thing easily as well.

BlueBelle Fri 09-Oct-20 14:51:33

On your head only answer my nan was always looking for hers when they were on her head

MissAdventure Fri 09-Oct-20 14:54:12

I put mine on my head.
Have had to cut them out of my hair pretty often though. Also, my friend was told it stretches the arms out.

A colleague hooked his glasses by one arm into the neck of his top, and they stayed there all day.

Mind you, he didn't do much to dislodge them.

Jaxjacky Fri 09-Oct-20 14:59:16

watermeadow you need bifocals, so the top part is clear and the crescent at the bottom is for reading.

EllanVannin Fri 09-Oct-20 15:08:55

I'm going to see about contact lenses because fortunately my eyes aren't bad at all and glasses get on my nerves as I only need them for very small print. For that, they're only cheap ones at 250 strength so I'm sure contacts would suffice.

grumppa Fri 09-Oct-20 16:02:03

Since this is a short term problem until new specs. can be supplied, I cannot think of anything better than a spec chain, used even when you perch your specs. on your head: if they fall off forwards the chain will catch them.

Ealdemodor Fri 09-Oct-20 16:08:50

Cannot offer a solution, I’m afraid.
As I’m so vain I probably think this song is about me, I refuse to use a “granny chain”, so am always mislaying my glasses, much to my daughter’s and son-in-law’s exasperation! Will just put up with it I guess.

Chewbacca Fri 09-Oct-20 17:59:53

I tuck mine into the neck of my top. Only problem is that when I bend down to pick something up, they fall out. cleavage isn't as firm as it used to be.

MissAdventure Fri 09-Oct-20 18:05:58

I hope you mean your glasses when you say "they" fall out. wink

Chewbacca Fri 09-Oct-20 18:11:25

Hmmmm.... well.... not always! Like I said, the cleavage isn't as firm as it once was! grin

grannyrebel7 Fri 09-Oct-20 19:11:52

I hate my glasses but they are essential for reading which I do a lot off. I tried contacts once and got one stuck in my eye. Had to have it removed in the opticians! Haven't bothered since and have reverted to being either a "I can't find my glasses' person or they're perched on the top of my head. Just wish I could see properly!

trustgone4sure Fri 09-Oct-20 19:14:50

Peg them to a piece of clothing you are wearing until you need them.

Juicylucy Sat 10-Oct-20 09:40:52

Mine are on my head all day. I’ve used the chains as well, I purchased some pretty ones, but they do get in the way and even got tangled around drawer handle once and I nearly fell over so I got rid of them.

Nortsat Sat 10-Oct-20 09:49:39

I put mine on my head, when I’m not wearing them.

At work, I used to hook them on my lanyard, which worked fine around the office, but I can see that at home they would get splashed and marked from cooking and cleaning.

pattiesplum Sat 10-Oct-20 10:01:50

Mine live on top of my head when not in use.

baubles Sat 10-Oct-20 10:02:44

I really ought to know better having worked in the optical industry for over 20 years but I confess to wearing my specs on my head. It does them no good at all but neither does wearing them on a chain I’m afraid.

I do try to look after expensive frames when they’re new but it doesn’t last. blush

Madwoman11 Sat 10-Oct-20 10:06:54

You can get a brooch especially for keeping your specs on you - just put one arm of the specs into it.
Once you know your new reading prescription go buy several pairs of readers from Poundland, as they are perfectly good enough for short periods

omega1 Sat 10-Oct-20 10:08:43

I always use eye drops when putting my contact lenses in and when taking them out because dry eyes will make them stick

Alioop Sat 10-Oct-20 10:12:10

Try Nooz. These are great and just clip onto your nose. I keep widening the legs if my glasses pushing on my head so find these handy.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 10-Oct-20 10:33:42

Have to admit I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I just happened to be in Miami in between times and ended up with reading glasses and sunglasses on top of my head. I ket getting the wrong ones down and got pretty fed up and made a decision when I got home, I just got varifocals again with a much weaker prescription also much cheaper, because previously could only wear Zeiss lenses! I've worn specs for 70 years and it would be very strange without them.